PDA

View Full Version : Win Service AutoUpdate

Digital Parasite
06-07-2002, 08:51 PM
Hi Howard,

I think I saw you mention that people running the Windows Service version doesn't need the autoupdate.cfg file because it will update automatically anyway correct?

If the service client detects a new version is ready, it will stop its processing and download the new client, install it and then what? Will it be able to re-start itself as a service again or the way you have it set up it never really stops in Windows view?

So if I have online service clients, I theoretically don't have to do anything for them to autoupdate and start crunching the new protein right?

Thanks,
Jeff.

MAD-ness
06-08-2002, 07:25 PM
Jeff: I run 3 boxen in my house on WinXP Pro using the Windows NT service install.

For the last 3 change-overs (going back a few months) I have not had to do a single thing to them in order for them to auto-update and begin crunching on the new protein.

The files are changed but the name remains the same, so the service name doesn't change and Windows apparently doesn't have a problem with that.

Either way, 3 clients as service for 3 updates, not a problem. Had problems before that, when he was still working out the bugs, but the last few went great.

You will see CPU utilization drop while the service downloads and then installs the new client, so you lose some cycles there. You also lose some because the service doesn't contact the DF server until it finishes a set of protein structures, but if you have patience it will automatically update just fine.

Also, I have tested the service installs on a machine where it was crunching the old protein (hadn't completed a data set yet) and I manually stopped the service, then started it again. No problems there either, in my limited testing. When the service starts back up, it contacts the server (I am pretty sure) and then begins auto-updating.

Stardragon
06-10-2002, 09:44 AM
Just to confirm, if you are running the client as a service on Windows, it will do the update automatically and then continue running with the new protein. No effort required on your behalf :D