PDA

View Full Version : 6 days to #2 team spot...

Bok
09-22-2005, 12:23 PM
Can we bring that down a little :)

Bok

PCZ
09-26-2005, 03:57 AM
Congrats team we have 2nd place :)

Now for the hard climb :D

FDC 108,920.50
HFS 675,734.34

llama009
09-27-2005, 10:57 PM
That will be a very hard climb, the HFS is one of their internal teams so they may release things only to them during upgrades etc.

Exci
09-27-2005, 11:28 PM
Howdy, the guy who runs the Housing and Food Services computers here. .

I could care less if another team takes us over. In fact, everyone in our department would love to know the project we're working on is something others around the world are participating in.

We don't get inside information. . in fact, since most of our computers are 'ancient', we were running the slow client several days after the upgrade had been posted.

Just today, another campus entity joined the project. I'm not sure if they're having problems with their imaging software, but it looks like ~1500 3.2+ghz cpus. They aren't getting preferential treatment either; they just 'own' the computer labs across campus.

I'm not affiliated with the R@H project, but I'd like to thank everyone in your organization who is helping out. You're the ones that make this project work.

-Ethan

Bok
09-28-2005, 12:32 AM
Howdy Ethan,

nice to see you on here :)

we don't think you have preferential treatment at all, I'm not sure llamma009 thinks so too really, though they are with BoincSynergy anyway...

Is the other entity you mention - David A. Cox? Whoever that is has some serious hardware!!!

Free-DC historically supported the Distributed Folding project, so Rosetta is a very good fit, though we've been successful in most all projects we've tried out :)

Bok

Exci
09-28-2005, 01:09 AM
Evening,
I didn't mean to make a big deal about the treatment thing. . It's true we alpha/beta tested, but that's a bit of a misnomer considering we were the only 'major' player at the time.

David Cox is indeed the entity I mentioned. He runs all the student computer labs across campus, and apparently they've gone through an upgrade over the summer. . 1500 3.2 and 3.8ghz processors gives that impression. While HFS is currently number one in the teams, I hope many others pass us by since it's only a benefit to the project.

I hope the international teams can take the top spots . . I'm positive the University of Washington isn't the computing center of the world.

Mustard
09-28-2005, 01:51 AM
So what is the best cpu for rosetta?

Exci
09-28-2005, 01:54 AM
I have no idea. . I'd suggest comparing computers in David Cox's team (all p4s), to the computers in my group (Ethan, I have several AMD variants). . They've been running for awhile, so it should give you an idea of relative performance.

Bok
09-28-2005, 07:51 AM
My x2's are by far the best of my bunch. My dual xeons pale in comparison, similarly my XP's are better than my P4's so the inference is that AMD is better than intel..

Lexx, you should be good :)

Bok

GHOST
09-28-2005, 08:16 AM
surprisingly my intel is keeping up with my barton. and my intel is usually slow, a celeron that is called a p4..

Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.20GHz Microsoft Windows XP total credit 310.88

AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2500+ Microsoft Windows XP total credit 287.

the intel is a cruncher only. the amd i use for web, tv card, and movies on media player[alot]

on f@h my intel did about half what the barton did.

llama009
10-01-2005, 05:06 AM
Yeah. I didn't mean prefferential treatment. Just that HFS might be used for testing newish apps. thats all.
Any way.
It will be pretty cool to see how much credit david racks up

PCZ
10-01-2005, 05:35 AM
A64's crunch the fastest.

For A64 also read Opteron and X2 as they are A64 cores.

Athlon XP's also are still strong performers.

Mustard
10-01-2005, 10:36 AM
Regarding the linux loaded A64 systems. Has anyone done any timing tests to see whether an A64 loaded with 32bit linux runs the same, slower, or faster than an A64 loaded with 64bit linux?

All this stuff is running in 32bit mode anyway.....................

Bok
10-01-2005, 10:38 AM
I've tried running a 32bit boinc on 64bit linux and it's no different. As you say the rosetta client that gets downloaded will be 32bit anyway.

Bok

Mustard
10-01-2005, 01:11 PM
So why are we still in a 32bit world when we have 64bit processors? It's like buying the new 4,000hp Mustang (har har) when it needs 2,000 Octane gas, but the only gas is the present stuff, and then all that the new mustang engine will put out is 104hp...................... all that was accomplished in this transaction was that some sucker paid a bunch of bucks for something that has potential, but in reality it just looks cooler...................... (excepting X2's of course).

I know, I know, it's marketing 101 for big business.