PDA

View Full Version : Integrate SP4 in W2k install?

Thor
10-20-2005, 05:41 AM
As I'm still using Windows 2000 and sometimes ave to reinstall a box for different reasons, I wonder if there is an easy way to integrate the SP4 and all other important patches in a new install cd...

Can anybody point me in the right direction? Some Read Me or even better a detailed guide? That would be exellent!

TIA

Thor

PS2pcGAMER
10-20-2005, 05:44 AM
http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

I have heard good things about nLite. I haven't actually used it myself... the last time I integrated stuff into an install disk I don't think it existed and so I had to do it manually.

the-mk
10-20-2005, 03:51 PM
nLite (http://www.nliteos.com/index.html) did some good services to me :D

It's a great tool, because you can integrate this S-ATA drivers to Win XP CD, so you don't need to press F6 and provide a floppy with the drivers any longer (I was too lazy to search a floppy disk drive to install the driver)...

But you can also integrate Servicepacks with nLite.

It should also be able to do some automation during installation (entering workstation-name, product-key, ....) and installing drivers (video driver, sound driver, etc...)

You could build a setup-cd for every different box sitting around, with all the drivers you need :D

I think I would still search for a floppy disk drive to install windows from scratch after crashing, because it needs this S-ATA driver disk...

Lot of words and short story: I love it :D

:cheers:

Shish
10-20-2005, 09:52 PM
I use Nlite all the time, still a work in progress but slipstreaming certainly works and all the integration stuff as well.
I finally got round to doing the latest XPSP2 disk, installed it, then used the transfer thing to send a stripped down (no specifics for hardware) to a separate hard drive, then ghosted it with Acronis which now gives me a standard install disk to use on anything and from get go it takes around 12 minutes and I`ve got a full system plus all the progs I use including anti virus OfficeXP etc for any machine.
Give the MSFN site forums a good read cos there`s loads of good stuff there.
T`other one I use is the Autopatcher from Neowin.net forums which is a bit like a service pack download but loads in all the updates you need and is updated every month with any new ones. Handy prog and their forums have a lot of other stuff as well.