PDA

View Full Version : acroread for linux

Scoofy12
11-04-2005, 12:13 AM
I've got acrobat reader 7 on my linux box at school (i love acroread 7, at least compared to the hideous acroread 5 for linux)... and every so often (actually fairly often compared to when i actually use it), it goes crazy and starts consuming all the CPU cycles. it still works normally when doing this, so I never notice until i happen to bring up ps or top or something. it may have something to do with the browser plugin (i use opera), but i dont know if it does it when i just open it by itself or not. has anyone else noticed this/found a solution?

QIbHom
11-04-2005, 09:20 AM
We aren't using acroread 7 at work due to issues we've had with it. Granted, those are Windows boxes. But, I've avoided it on my linux comps because of that. Adobe is evil.

xpdf and pdfviewer work better for me under Linux. They come up quicker, open more pdfs and don't seem to consume resources as badly.

Scoofy12
11-04-2005, 10:17 AM
if it's resources you're concerned about, reader 7 is much better than reader 6 (on windows). on linux, everything else may be faster, but nothing comes close on functionality. neither the xpdf or gv derivatives render as well as adobe's reader, evil or not. plus they don't support searching inside the document, which by itself is reason enough to make them inadequate. all this matters to me because all academic papers (at least all the ones published by IEEE, ACM, and USENIX) are published in PDF format, so i read a lot of pdfs.