PDA

View Full Version : Rosetta Linux install?

StandrdDev
11-04-2005, 12:51 PM
I'm hoping one of you Linux heavyweights might be able to shed some light on installing/optimizing Rosetta under linux. The info available seems pretty thin, and my linux skills are pretty poor. Any suggestions? TFTH. :bang: :swear: :help: :trash:

Sigma

Bok
11-04-2005, 02:06 PM
quick and dirty. We really need a FAQ on all this.

1. Go to the Rosetta site and create an account, wait for the email with your account key.

2. download the linux boinc software. I'll just call this boinc.sh for now

3. from wherever you wish to install it run

sh boinc.sh

4. cd BOINC

5. ./boinc --attach_project http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta account_key

replacing account_key with whatever your key is.

That's it. :)

You can sign up to other projects and do the same thing to be attached to multiple projects. You then allocate the resource share of each project on your account page for those projects.

Bok

StandrdDev
11-04-2005, 02:19 PM
Bok,

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll give it a try.

Quick question however:

Will it run 2 copies on a dual or HT'd machine or does this require further editing? If so, how would one go about it?

Thanks again for your help. I'll pass this info along to my fellow XPC's as its seems that other are experiencing problems as well.

BR,

Sigma

Bok
11-04-2005, 02:27 PM
Yes,

on the general preferences on the account page, there is a setting for how many cpu's to use max. It defaults to two, so on a HT or dual machine it would start two instances automatically. For HT Dual xeons set this to be 4 if you wish.

Bok

GHOST
11-04-2005, 02:27 PM
what about optimized clients?

StandrdDev
11-04-2005, 03:22 PM
Does it automatically startup after reboot, or again, does this require editing?

<perk> optimized clients? :)

Sigma

MerePeer
11-06-2005, 10:54 AM
Question: can I share this directory across all my linux clients (like we did with FAD), or do they each need their own directory?

Angus
11-06-2005, 02:58 PM
If I understand your question correctly, each PC needs it's own client install, and the WUs must be downloaded and returned by the same PC.

Sneakernetting and sharing work folders isn't possible yet with BOINC.

MerePeer
11-06-2005, 07:47 PM
Here's a debian script I made up to run boinc. Might work for ubuntu too. Remove the .txt extension (attachment requirement) when you place it in /etc/init.d

devzero
11-08-2005, 09:40 AM
How's this working out for you?
I finally managed to find a client that would connect and get work but it gave constant
errors on every workunit. No other client I could find including my own compiled version
could even sucessfully connect. Finally put the machine on predictor.

Bok
11-08-2005, 10:23 AM
devzero, what OS, architecture are you using there ?

We can get it going I think..

Bok

devzero
11-08-2005, 04:05 PM
BOK> devzero, what OS, architecture are you using there ?

Its a HT-P4 running mandriva 2006. Windows boxes are fine.
Catch me thru email if you like.

MerePeer
11-08-2005, 04:47 PM
On a couple systems I hit a random problem when starting using my script. It would seem to start but did not. However the log file would have this msg:
start-stop-daemon: stat boinc: No such file or directory (No such file or directory)
Of course the file absolutely was there. At first I thought it might be a file owner/permission thing, but then after no chgs it worked. My latest thinking is that even though I was, and still am, passing the directory name to start-stop-daemon using the --chdir {dirname} argument, that I need to provide a full path to the daemon, i.e. "/var/opt/boinc" and not just the daemon name "boinc". So that's what has changed in the attached version.

devzero
11-08-2005, 06:37 PM
What I am getting depending on the client version is 500 or -103 errors

Did some packet sniffing and found the server returning a FIN to my request.

Finally found an older client 4.X I think which was able to connect and get work but gave errors on every work unit.

Same boinc client works with predictor.

How come nobody else is running predictor?

MerePeer
11-13-2005, 08:26 PM
I realized that having logrotate rotate the cron jobs nightly was causing the output to get dropped. So I have abandoned the logrotate approach and this new version (003) of the /etc/init.d/boinc script for Debian rotates the logfile only when boinc is restarted.