PDA

View Full Version : Samba Server

n7vxj
11-12-2005, 01:51 PM
Hey Guys, how do I tell if Samba is running on my SuSe Box? I used to be able to connect to it via my main windoz box, but for some reason, I can't connect to it anymore.I went into top, and checked there, but didn't see anything about Samba.The real strange part is that I go into network services on the Suse Machine, and it sees all the Windoz boxes, and will connect to them. ./scratches head and mutters nasty words .

n7vxj
11-12-2005, 02:27 PM
Well, I'm not sure why but I went into Yast, and reinstalled Samba Server ,and now the main Windoz box sees it again.Once installed, doesn't Samba Server get started on start-up? If it doesn't, how do I go about having it start, upon start-up?:bang:

Bok
11-12-2005, 02:37 PM
It depends on the install, but I would have thought so if installed via yast..

To see if it is running check for the smbd and or nmbd daemon

ps aux | grep mbd

should do it from a command line

You wouldn't see it in top, because it uses very little resources, therefore it's not at the 'top' of the process list :)

Bok

n7vxj
11-12-2005, 03:13 PM
Well, I'm baffled!!Checked it out using the command line, and it shows it running.Restarted the box, and checked again, still shows it running.Oh well, now to check the main box, and see if it still finds it!!:dunno:

Back to square one!! Checked it out on this box, and it doesn't see it again!!