PDA

View Full Version : Thank you for contributing to rosetta@home!!

David Baker
11-25-2005, 12:57 AM
Hello All!

Bok invited me to join your forum. It is fantastic how much you have contributed to
our project! Looking at Bok's stats page, I see that your team has earned more than twice as many credits today than any other team. Keep up the great work!

Happy Thanksgiving!

David

PY 222
11-25-2005, 01:09 AM
Heya David, thanks for stopping by our hole.

Shouldn't you be having turkey right now. ;)

Happy Turkey Day.

LAURENU2
11-25-2005, 01:20 AM
Thank you David for stopping in Yes this is a strong team I myself like others are not
fully Up to power yet But when we all do focus here I am sure that you will be impressed
David
Do you have any idea on how long this project will run or if it will complete

David Baker
11-25-2005, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by LAURENU2
Thank you David for stopping in Yes this is a strong team I myself like others are not
fully Up to power yet But when we all do focus here I am sure that you will be impressed
David
Do you have any idea on how long this project will run or if it will complete

my prediction is that rosetta will run longer than any other current DPC project--we have greater scientific need for computing power than anybody else, and more resources (funding) to keep things going. so the answer is as close to "forever" as is reasonable to say.

PY 222
11-25-2005, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by David Baker
my prediction is that rosetta will run longer than any other current DPC project--we have greater scientific need for computing power than anybody else, and more resources (funding) to keep things going. so the answer is as close to "forever" as is reasonable to say.

We will definitely try to give you as much computing power as possible. Just keep your servers up and get the work ready.

Rest assured. :thumbs:

Bok
11-25-2005, 09:05 AM
Thanks David!

Bok

Jeff
11-25-2005, 09:22 AM
Thanks David(and Mr. Bok)! :cheers:

[DPC]Mobster
11-25-2005, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by David Baker
my prediction is that rosetta will run longer than any other current DPC project--we have greater scientific need for computing power than anybody else, and more resources (funding) to keep things going. so the answer is as close to "forever" as is reasonable to say. I know that us cows are one of the greatest teams out there, but by calling a project in which we participate a DPC-project is even too much credit for us ;)

MAB
11-25-2005, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by [DPC]Mobster
I know that us cows are one of the greatest teams out there, but by calling a project in which we participate a DPC-project is even too much credit for us ;)
Mobster, you clever dicky :rotfl: :allhail:

Fozzie
11-25-2005, 01:10 PM
we had barely noticed. ;)

MAB
11-25-2005, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Fozzie
we had barely noticed. ;)
Well, somebody did. I believe he calls himself David Baker :D :rotfl:

n7vxj
11-25-2005, 06:30 PM
Hummm...where I come from, thats called a major typo!!!!

LAURENU2
12-23-2005, 10:25 AM
Hello All!

Bok invited me to join your forum. It is fantastic how much you have contributed to
our project! Looking at Bok's stats page, I see that your team has earned more than twice as many credits today than any other team. Keep up the great work!

Happy Thanksgiving!

David
David
I think you need to put a muzzle on one of your moderator (Bill Michael)
His crude reply will be of little benefit to your project
I my self have turned OFF all 65 of my PC's that ran your project because of the uncalled for remarks Bill Michael made toward me in your forum Thread (http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/forum_thread.php?id=680#7137)

ladypcer
12-23-2005, 10:39 AM
Yep, he was kind of rude. I think sometimes modship goes to people's heads.

He did offer this explanation though-
Windows ME is not supported by Rosetta. Seems it doesn't report CPU times back to the application correctly.

Not sure if you saw it.

the-mk
12-23-2005, 11:23 AM
because of the uncalled for remarks Bill Michael made toward me in your forum http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/fo...hp?id=680#7137

I don't know if it is the upgraded forum software, but that link doesn't work...

Bok
12-23-2005, 11:29 AM
It's because it went over the number of characters allowed on a line and automatically truncated.

I've edited it to fix.

Bok

EvoDude
12-23-2005, 01:45 PM
Lauren, I'm with you on his attitude and left him my own thoughts as follows:-

That was a really helpful response Bill, not! Have you checked the input that the project is getting from Lauren? I'm not sure you fully understand the role of moderator, voluntary or otherwise. Moderatorn a person who presides over at a public or legislative assembly. You are there to handle complaints or problems - not to exagerate them.
If you read his post you will see that he clearly states that he is a plumber and has little or no technical expertise in the computing field. Why didn't you carefully explain what details you require and how to get them, you may then have got the information you required. Instead you have managed to drive away a volunteer who gave the project a heck of a lot of crunching power.

black_civic55
12-23-2005, 02:13 PM
wow yea i read that and you sure do have a reason to take all ur xomputers off this project. How can someone have an attitude like that and expect people to contribute? What a prick.

Bok
12-23-2005, 02:21 PM
Please remember that he does not speak for the project or the university, he's just a moderator on the boards...

However I added my thoughts to that post too..

Bok

EvoDude
12-23-2005, 02:56 PM
And the attitude just gets worse. Now someone with a list of titles like Forum moderator, Project developer & Project scientist comes back with a really helpful response
This thread has got very off-topic

This thread has got very unhelpful is my main thought. How do R@H ever expect to keep volunteers with this sort of attitude. Somehow I think that Lauren will not be alone in leaving them to it.

Bok
12-23-2005, 03:00 PM
In all fairness to Jack though, the thread has got very off-topic and I'm just as guilty of that on it. It was supposed to be about reporting stuck work units :)

Personally I would have just split the thread out into two and moved the other pieces to an off-topic/lounge forum, but of course there isn't one over there...

Bok

EvoDude
12-23-2005, 03:34 PM
In all fairness to Jack though, the thread has got very off-topic and I'm just as guilty of that on it. It was supposed to be about reporting stuck work units :)

Personally I would have just split the thread out into two and moved the other pieces to an off-topic/lounge forum, but of course there isn't one over there...

Bok

Looks like he has done just that - all our posts have been moved to here (http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/forum_thread.php?id=750)
Still no response to our views/thoughts though. Surprise, surprise!

LAURENU2
12-23-2005, 07:07 PM
Thank you all for sticking up of what is right
If I did come out with any kind of rude attitude It was due to to all the frustration I was having with all the stuck time clocks, and that I kept getting all the DEFAULT WU's that I thought were BAD. Two days of that and I was pulling my hair out

Bok you were right on the mark with your post over there

a moderator should show a lot more care in replies than the day to day user
And the sad part he can not grasp that.
:umm: After the New Years I will looking to find a new Battle front to work on with the Team
But Till then I will relaxer and enjoy the Holly days:cheers:

ladypcer
12-23-2005, 07:23 PM
I'll be interested to see what project you choose, Lauren.
Maybe I'll join you, as I'm a little disenchanted with most Boinc projects due to the benchmark/points/quorum structures, or lack there of.

em99010pepe
12-23-2005, 07:39 PM
LAURENU2,

Forget Rosetta. There are out there a bunch of projects.
In the small ones you have educated leaders/moderators.

Carlos

Exci
12-23-2005, 07:53 PM
I'm here again to try and keep Free-DC in first place, even though it keeps me in second.

Big picture. . David Baker and David Kim don't have any idea what is going on on the boards. DK knows about the WU problems, he just ran out of time before his plane trip out of town. Jack has been holding down the fort, but he's out of town today as well.

The project made a mistake with the new wu's. They shouldn't have done it a week before the entire team went on holiday. They have taken responsibility for these problems, notified everyone what is causing the problems, and you'll see some serious action taken by the lab when they return in force in a week or so. A scientist who goes to half a dozen team boards to solicit help isn't going to let it go easily.

R@H has given them 10x the CPUs they had in house, CPU's that were the foundation of their field-leading research. Short of giving away first borns, they are going to do whatever it takes to get things right. This project is only a couple months old. In July we were only planning on a couple hundred clients. . maybe more if the dorm residents latched on. . what actually happend is several orders of magnitude larger and I think they did pretty well until last week.

Please don't substitute an idvididual's comments as a response from the Rosetta team. Without taking sides, a message board is the worst place to try and resolve a conflict. . which is too bad since it's so easy to mis-interpret each other.

If you feel two weeks of sub-par performance, in addition to the other issues they have recognized and said they would address (credit computation, 1% hang, etc) are enough reason to leave the project, cool, I gave it a shot :) I just hope a thread on the message board with two groups taking sides, one of which has a moderator tag, isn't going to be the determining factor in the largest team leaving R@H.

If anyone wants to chat about the whole situation offline. . feel free to email me at eko at u.washington.edu

-Ethan

Bok
12-23-2005, 08:10 PM
I don't think it's that bad exci, and I appreciate you posting over here. One bad moderator isn't going to change many people's feelings. I still feel strongly about the project and think David B, David K et al have done and are doing a great job. I just have little confidence in those forums anymore, but that's nothing to worry about.

Mistakes are made. I work in the IT field troubleshooting problems on unix, mainframe and windows, mainly in financial software. I've made a few mistakes which are a LOT worse than this.. so I do understand :)

We'll be staying #1, unless the DPC ramp up a bit more that is.....

Bok :cheers:

Angus
12-23-2005, 08:11 PM
I've moved my farm CPUs off BOINC/R@H as well.

That particlar moderator has an abrasive manner that crops up constantly, and not just on the R@H boards. There are many comments he's made that should never be made by a moderator. Very in-appropriate choice, IMO.

EvoDude
12-23-2005, 08:56 PM
Thanks Lauren, glad to support you. Have a great Christmas.

LAURENU2
12-23-2005, 09:12 PM
I've moved my farm CPUs off BOINC/R@H as well.

That particlar moderator has an abrasive manner that crops up constantly, and not just on the R@H boards. There are many comments he's made that should never be made by a moderator. Very in-appropriate choice, IMO.
No Angus you were going so well to This was My beef I did not expect or want any one Else to pull there power . it was nice that all the team members stood up for what they thought was right. But to pull any more power from this project will not solve or fix any thing .
I have no real beef with Rosetta And I do understand thing do not always work as they should
PLEASE nobody else pull any more power from this project Please:hifi:

Shish
12-23-2005, 09:39 PM
It`s not that I want to pull any power, but after trying just about every setting, I have 1 rig with nothing and messages saying last something too recent, 1 rig with next to nothing and the same message, and 1 rig which has an enormous cache and no problems getting work. I also have 2 more new duals ready to go but with these problems I don`t want to waste electric having machines sit idle.
Personally, I think a board that has that kind of attachement to a project needs the project to have a word in their ear before they alienate any more people.
This is DC and for fun and open warfare is not supposed to be a part of it and anybody with a mod tag should have a bit more sense or sensibility or find something else to occupy their time.

Bok
12-23-2005, 10:18 PM
Let's give them a little time though to fix the problems. It is the holidays and people are on vacation after all.

Yes, they made some mistakes, everyone does that once in a while. Let's see if they rectify them though..that's the true test..

Shish, try detaching, then re-attaching. It always works, the bad units should be almost flushed through now, hell I went through at least 50 of them :)

Oh and let's hope for a 4-3 in our favour this time come Monday, yeah ? :) Match is on live here, I'll be watching with a couple of cold ones!

Bok

LAURENU2
12-23-2005, 10:59 PM
OUCH 199 K for team output today. That is one heck of a lot of power
PY is making up of my absents:thumbs:
Go Team Go

mrwizer
12-24-2005, 12:41 AM
We'll be staying #1, unless the DPC ramp up a bit more that is.....

Bok :cheers:

Or maybe Anandtech... :rock: :thumbs:

You guys just challenged us, dont let the production die down now. Although Free-Dc is way above us right now in daily production and TC, it is a goal to shoot for. And I would hate to see a good team back away because of the comments of one mod.

And by the way, great stats Bok, it is a service to the DC community! :)

Bok
12-24-2005, 01:08 AM
Well :cheers:,

good to see you over here. I'll enjoy watching TA ramp up too :) Looks like the RA are doing pretty good now, be interesting to see what Team Enterprise do to follow.....

Stats are always good, I enjoy writing them.. keep watching for more!

Bok:thumbs:

CaptainMooseInc
12-24-2005, 03:17 AM
Woohoo! Boycot Rosetta!

I've been debating over the past month whether or not to try out R@H when I get my new dualie built. After reading the posted messages on their forums I've decided that R@H will never -EVER- get even 1 CPU cycle from me.

Moderator or not you don't put some immature (acting) person as a moderator. If I would've had the same problem as LAURENU2 then I would've said something...but mine would've been on a 1 computer scale. His, on the other hand, is widespread across multiple systems which gives a very good base to start looking for problems when THAT many systems start going haywire.

:spank: Take that R@H. Get your mods under control. And F*@# you, you've given me another reason not to try out the BOINC platform ever again.

-Jeff

the-mk
12-24-2005, 05:09 AM
:spank: Take that R@H. Get your mods under control. And F*@# you, you've given me another reason not to try out the BOINC platform ever again.

I know that some of you are disappointed about Rosetta, but you could have said that a bit more polite... at least its christmas time! Peace!

Have a nice christmans eve!

Shish
12-24-2005, 06:34 AM
OK, I`ve detached and reattached all the machines and it seems OK so I`ll keep the 3 machines on for now and add another after Xmas.
The last one picked up a passle of virus`s (virii) after I installed some software off a MoS MP3 player (legit disk...barstewards) and the spybot stuff, which I ignored initially, then went to town on downloading and installin virii which Norton caught but knacked up the filesystem with a rootkit etc., so that`s also had a full disk wipe and re-install (took all night but that`s rootkits for you....was in the disk tables and everywhere) and is presently doing a database integrate and synch which will take a couple days (my new 10Gb network streamer....boy is that fast and mucho bandwidth....beauty).
So, apart from getting the goose and chicken stuffed and marinaded and the leg of pork (been steeping for near a week) seasoned, that`s me until tomorrow.......sober and zero drugs for Xmas and New Year :umm: :scared:
Might risk a glass or 2 of Chateau Neuf tomoorow though, shouldn`t show on the test in 2 weeks time.:clap:

Joyeux Noel one and all, keep it safe on the roads and enjoy your family and friends......

PCZ
12-24-2005, 06:53 AM
Calm down there folks.

Remember why we are doing this Project.
We like the Science and we like the attitude of the folks running the project.

Now we have had a falling out with a mod, not the Scientists running the project.

My best advice is to let it be known we are not happy with the mod in question and have marked his card.

Lauren
Take a few days off and chill.

Bok
12-24-2005, 09:30 AM
Exactly PCZ.

CM, you are getting a bit close to the line there. Please don't slam the project for one small thing. They have still done extremely well for a start up program and are continuing to do well.

If you don't like the project, then it's your prerogative to not run it. If you've never even tried the BOINC platform then in my opinion you are missing out. Sure, in it's early days it was buggy, but it's matured now. Still got some faults, but for the main part it works well and in combination with Boincview (which is only possible because they built in RPC to the boinc client) it's very easy to monitor multiple machines across differing architectures.

Bok

Digital Parasite
12-24-2005, 10:31 AM
Hi David, thanks for stopping by. Keep up the communciations with the users, its one of the big reasons so many people are interested.

Woh, I'm away from the boards for a couple days and what happens... :eek:

MAB
12-24-2005, 10:51 AM
Exactly PCZ.

CM, you are getting a bit close to the line there. Please don't slam the project for one small thing. They have still done extremely well for a start up program and are continuing to do well.

If you don't like the project, then it's your prerogative to not run it. If you've never even tried the BOINC platform then in my opinion you are missing out. Sure, in it's early days it was buggy, but it's matured now. Still got some faults, but for the main part it works well and in combination with Boincview (which is only possible because they built in RPC to the boinc client) it's very easy to monitor multiple machines across differing architectures.

Bok

I have to agree with Bok (which btw means "male goat" in Dutch), it would be a loss to the project if even one of you would stop.
I hope Lauren will reconsider his leaving and also everybody should understand that, though the mod may be a bit rude ?, you should also not forget all the voluntary help he gave during the running of this project.
I can imagine one gets a bit crumpy sometimes.
So, everybody chill down, if needed take some time off and then get crunching again.

I wish everybody a nice weekend/X-mas :drink: :music:

Bok
12-24-2005, 10:53 AM
I have to agree with Bok (which btw means "male goat" in Dutch), it would be a loss to the project if even one of you would stop.
I hope Lauren will reconsider his leaving and also everybody should understand that, though the mod may be a bit rude ?, you should also not forget all the voluntary help he gave during the running of this project.
I can imagine one gets a bit crumpy sometimes.
So, everybody chill down, if needed take some time off and then get crunching again.

I wish everybody a nice weekend/X-mas :drink: :music:

Cool, I didn't know that.. but then it is from here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/gallery/monsters1/demons.shtml) so I guess it makes sense!!

Hope you all DPC members have a good christmas / holiday time!

Bok

MAB
12-24-2005, 10:56 AM
EDIT :

SJIPS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

DOUBLE POST for some reason

If I edit my post all the emoticons/smilies are gone ????

Wanted to add : Who would be left to roadkill if FDC leaves.

Uhh, have to go advanced to get some smilies ?

Allright,

WHO WOULD BE LEFT TO ROADKILL :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: if FDC leaves

Moogie
12-24-2005, 11:52 AM

I'm sorry, I'm just having a hard time getting past the male goat thing. :D

Hi David and welcome to the forums. :cheers:

Bok and PCZ (and others) have the right idea. DCing is a choice, and it's yours. Whether or not you decide to run a client is completely up to you. But, we need to understand that these things are generally voluntary, and that folks are human and mistakes are made, and hopefully learned from. We went through alot of that with DF remember?

I think that PCZ had a good idea, in that if you don't like the way a particular moderator or admin handles something, you need to let the leaders know. It is up to them how they want to proceed.

You guys totally rock. Everyone here makes Free-DC what it is today. Completely supportive and friendly, to name a few!

Keep up the good work folks. Personally, I think we are the #1 team, and the only place to be. Not that I'm biased or anything.

:bouncy:

LAURENU2
12-24-2005, 11:58 AM
Please all Just chill till the New Year The staff at Rose will get back to work and Fix all the WU problems and hopefully Mine to
You/We have made our voices and thoughts known and the rest is up to there staff to make it right
There is no Boycott here Things are just not working well for now for some members
We as a team pull together to build points
Lets not come together to lose points
Besides I smell cow dong over that last hill:hifi:

Moogie
12-24-2005, 12:00 PM
Please all Just chill till the New Year The staff at Rose will get back to work and Fix all the WU problems and hopefully Mine to
You/We have made our voices and thoughts known and the rest is up to there staff to make it right
There is no Boycott here Things are just not working well for now for some members
We as a team pull together to build points
Lets not come together to lose points
Besides I smell cow dong over that last hill:hifi:

Did you bring your pooper scooper? :D

LAURENU2
12-24-2005, 12:17 PM
Did you bring your pooper scooper? :D
No but I have called a few friends and they are waiting in orbithttp://www.laurensnet.com/image/avitar/bemcow.gif

ladypcer
12-24-2005, 01:34 PM
I thought that the bigger problem was that Lauren's OS (ME) doesn't play well with R@H?
Without solving that issue, the mod problem becomes a moot point?

Shish
12-24-2005, 02:49 PM
I`m definitely not up for a boycott and now running more or less full strength.
Always problems with a newish project cos when somebody like us and several other teams get into a project they don`t realise what`s gonna hit them......
However, whatever the provocation, there is no need for that Mods attitude and if he can`t handle the heat he should stay out of the cooking and he`s the one needs to chill out.
I very rarely use project forums cos we`ve already got the best around anyway as well as the best members for help and the best stats bar none.

That`s my last comment cos typing is getting to be difficult....now down to one reliable finger, the rest won`t go where I point them :looney:

Angus
12-24-2005, 04:18 PM
Well, I finally couldn't resist, and told him off.:bonk:

Probably shouldn't have, but then I've never been a shrinking violet on forums :swear:

I've said all I will on the topic on the project forums. I'm going to go enjoy Christmas now.

Merry Christmas to all the Free-DC'rs

n7vxj
12-25-2005, 02:04 AM
Personally, aside from the mod problem, I think the Boinc client stinks!! I guess I got spoiled with FAD!!Set it up, and it does it's thing.One machine, I had nothing but problems with, and ended up pulling it off, and putting it on MJ12.The other ones I pulled off yesterday, because I was constantly having to babysit them, and frankly, if I wanted to babysit, I would make some phone calls, and have the Kids bring my Grandkids over for awhile. It doesn't matter anyway since later this week, eveything gets shut down for the big move to colorado!! Everyone have a great Holiday!! Me, I'm gonna spend it with my Grandkids! CAN'T WAIT!!:banana: :rotfl: :thumbs:

Shish
12-25-2005, 03:26 PM
Phew, five minutes peace and quiet to catch up on my favourite hobby.
Was having a wonderful Xmas until we got a phone call to say an elderly friend of ours had a massive stroke this morning and is in a coma. Not the kind of thing you want to hear at Xmas.

Never mind....life goes on.

Wish all you folks a happy Xmas and a peaceful, happy and prosperous New Year.

Rosetta is still running OK but I`m not happy with Boinc as it does need watching. Mine seems to have an upload schedule all of its own and Boinc Manager is not the best of programmes.

LAURENU2
12-28-2005, 11:57 AM
Well I now have 2 nodes upgraded to Win2k and XP and are now back running Rosetta again to se if it works any better:thumbs:
It will take some time to upgrade all my nodes
But like Free-DC I will get the Job done:thumbs:

PY 222
12-28-2005, 01:00 PM
Well I now have 2 nodes upgraded to Win2k and XP and are now back running Rosetta again to se if it works any better:thumbs:
But like Free-DC I will get the Job done:thumbs:

Lauren, glad to see that you are back in business.

Also, since you are upgrading, this is the prefect time to put some Linux into those machines. :D

We are here to help you out in case you need it.

PCZ
12-28-2005, 02:16 PM
Glad you have started 'the upgrade cycle'.

BTW
I would recommend XP rather than 2K on crunchers because they can run the Remote Destop service.
Only the Server versions of 2K load RD.

In a RAM challenged enviroment 2K pro would be better though.

LAURENU2
12-28-2005, 03:08 PM
Well rosetta seems to be working OK from the OS upgrade
But boy is it a pain finding all the MB disks for all the drivers needed _:bang:
I Must say I am Proud to be a Free-DC team member after seeing
How much support was put out by my team mates I THANK You ALL:hifi:
>>Go Team Go<<

Marky-UK
12-28-2005, 05:00 PM
And there I was thinking that if you carried on not doing Rosetta at all I might actually overtake you in about 3 years! :rotfl: :thumbs:

David Baker
01-02-2006, 01:26 AM
Please don't leave us--we need you! Things were a bit rocky the last week with all of the staff (including me) out on vacation, but things will be back to normal within a day or two. I apologize for the problems!

happy new year!

David

Shish
01-02-2006, 03:54 AM
Nice to see you back David.
Hope you`re well rested and no hangovers :cheers: :rock:

I think we`ve persuaded Lauren to stay for a while and push our numbers higher.
I`ve got some upgrades coming having finally found an Opteron 165 or maybe 2 if I can persuade them to part with them.
AMD is not being nice to us OC`ers and DC`ers.

LAURENU2
01-02-2006, 11:53 AM
Please don't leave us--we need you! Things were a bit rocky the last week with all of the staff (including me) out on vacation, but things will be back to normal within a day or two. I apologize for the problems!

happy new year!

David David
The real problem with me was more with Bill Michael His rude and insulting manor should not hold a title of Forum moderator Even as a help desk the rude replies he posts makes people feel they did something wrong Or just plain MAD and that drives people away from the project
As you can see from all the upset members that posted there and Bill Michael moved there upset replies to this thread http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/forum_thread.php?id=750
I myself think it would be in the best interest of your project if you removed Bill Michael as a Forum moderator before he does any more damage
I am starting to upgrade my OS and I am starting to put some power back to Rosetta as you can see from below But it will take time
http://devel.open-dc.org/new/allpage.php?proj=rah (http://stats.free-dc.org/charts/multibar.php?PHPSESSID=0c869c5e49b62314306b874c978c2d3c)

*MOD EDIT* Can't link directly to graphs as they are on a per session basis, I changed it to go to my new devel page for the project stats.. :)