PDA

View Full Version : So how did we do with the last CASP protein?

Scott Jensen
06-14-2002, 12:58 PM
Inquiring minds want to know. :)

As expected? Better? Worse?

Do you think the results will blow the doors off our competitors? Make our competitors laugh at us? Just get a shrug and a "Welcome to the pack" responce?

virex
06-14-2002, 01:50 PM
they have no way of telling....they need to see the actual protein to decide if they're scoring is acurate....

Scott Jensen
06-14-2002, 05:51 PM
I'm asking more along the lines of the feel of the bat type of thing. Not whether they'll hit a homerun but whether they feel the bat they're submitting feels like it has the potential to knock one out of the park. :)

MAD-ness
06-14-2002, 06:30 PM
Part way through the run we had 42 for pseudo energy and Howard mentioned something about that being "decent." Not sure how much lower we got than that, but the truth is that they won't know until the CASP5 results are in, they do not know the 'real' structure, so they can not compare the samples created here to the "real" structure.

Stardragon
06-17-2002, 09:53 AM
As far as CASP is concerned, the results we get from DF are used as a very solid basis on which we then run another battery of tests and adjustments and do some tweaking by other methods, in addition to the energy scoring function already used in the client. Due to those circumstances it is rather difficult to estimate how well we are doing before all the tests are run and we are ready to submit. And even then we won't really know just how well we did until the CASP results come back to us.

So the best evaluation you can use is the pseudo-energy, which will give you a general feel - i.e. reasonably good numbers mean we're on the right track.

bwkaz
06-18-2002, 03:04 PM
Did anyone say that we might return to crunching on previous proteins? Because I think I remember hearing that -- since there aren't a ton of CASP proteins, and a lot of them can be done non-distributively (is that a word? without using DC is what I mean), we might go back to previous proteins for some of the weeks between now and when it's all done.

Do I remember correctly, or am I out in left field somewhere? ;)

Eaglechild
06-19-2002, 02:27 AM
I think it was that after we complete the CASP 5 testing period, then we will go back to the next stage in the planned testing. It sounds as though there will be plenty of CASP 5 proteins to keep us busy until then.

Scott Jensen
06-19-2002, 10:03 AM
And we might repeat some CASP5 proteins if we have time. The more we work on them, the better the odds that we'll generate even better structures to submit.