PDA

View Full Version : RAMDisk questions

jasong
12-01-2005, 05:18 PM
First, let me say, I know NOTHING about this. I'm posting this in the hopes that people make comments that keep me from making big mistakes in the future, the future being somewhere around the middle to end of the Spring Semester(my dad's returning my rent if I get good grades, so I'll have money to burn unless I screw up).

Anyway, the topic is RAMDisks. I'm going to state what I'm hoping for and invite input, positive and negative.

Two of my big concerns when it comes to expanding my computer farm is cost and sound. In terms of RAM, I'm not too concerned about cost, I feel that midrange RAM is the best value and computer cpus will have to get a LOT faster before the top-of-the-line stuff is worthwhile from a bang for buck perspective. In terms of cpus, I don't have a lot of room in my room, so I'm pretty sure my next cpu will be a dual-core(not positive, though). As to sound, I don't know precisely what makes me have to turn up my tv to hear dialogue, I just know there's a lot of low tones coming from my hard drive that apparently distort soundwaves into something unintelligible.

Anyway, in terms of sound waves, I want as few spinning, vibrating things in my room as possible, which is the reason I'm considering a RAMDisk(if there's a free version, I want to know about it). I won't own a large number of computers, so babysitting and rebooting every time there's a power failure is no big deal, although automatically backing up files every couple hours on the actual hard drive would be fantastic, especially with error-handling in case a file doesn't exist on a run.

I'm very willing to consider Linux, although, except for a Live CD implementation, it's never successfully run on my computer(I think Linux hates my hard drive).

Anyway, advice is welcome, so fire away about anything you think I should know, or that I overlooked.

magnav0x
12-01-2005, 05:51 PM
You're best bet is to delve into PXE nodes (network nodes). All you would need is one main server and the rest of the nodes would just consist of motherboard, power supply and memory. You can even use two motherboards with one power supply (that'll help cut down on fan noise and cost). There are two sticky threads in Networking Discussion that discuss all of this. These were collectively compiled by attempts by other Free-DC members who did/tryed it themselves. You will probably have to go with Linux, but I am unsure. Check out those two threads and then report back with questions that you may have. I have not done any PXE nodes myself, so I can't be of too much help myself.

jasong
12-01-2005, 06:58 PM
I might have a few questions, but until at least February, I'll just be reading. Not because I'm doing a lot of reading, but because that's the soonest I'll be able to buy what I want. I'm starting college in January, and if I do well, my dad will return 100% of my rent.