PDA

View Full Version : Sieve reservation running low soon

hhh
12-17-2005, 12:19 PM
It's perhaps a bit too soon to panic, but I calculated that there are about 20G left now, which will be assigned in a month, or less; and as there is Christmas and all this mess coming up, perhaps we should start thinking about what next before everybody's gone to holiday.

Possibilities:
- Declare the new jjsieve client out of beta, and continue beyond 2^50

-Open a DoubleCheck range, say 100T+, asking everybody to do joint sieving with PSP (there, it would be Firstpass factors).

-Wait until everything is reserved, and panic then.

It's just a reminder, and a kind of question to the Lord's of Sieving, what they think.

We already handled more difficult problems, right? Yours H.

Nuri
12-17-2005, 02:43 PM
There's still a well hidden 1001000-1100000 [On hold / Reserved] before we reach 2^50.

But still, this will be finished within a couple of months anyway.

I guess a joint sieve with PSP might be considered. Are they sieving to nmax=50m?

hhh
12-17-2005, 04:57 PM
You are right, I missed that. So I guess I'll bring up this thread in a few months.

As for your question: Yes, PSP is trying to catch up to SoB DC sieve status with a 50M dat file. They(We) are pretty much at 15G, and ltd is already sieving joint ranges.

Again, sorry for the false alarm; the one for the queue in the other thread still holds, I guess.
Yours H.

jasong
12-18-2005, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by hhh
- Declare the new jjsieve client out of beta, and continue beyond 2^50
Maybe it's different for SOB than Riesel Sieve, but at least one of the programmers seems to be full speed ahead for Riesel Sieve use of the new clients. He even PM'ed me the link to the thread it's in, so I could get the best speed.

If I remember, I'll look for him on IRC and ask him, then post here.

vjs
12-19-2005, 10:29 AM
Just to let everyone know I already informed Matt that he can reserve a portion of the hidden range for the autosieve at a time of his choosing. So not to worry.

If for some reason matt is not around I'll open up a portion of that range for the thread as well. The only reason why it's hidden is we didn't want it broken up into small chunks with odd ball pieces etc.