PDA

View Full Version : We are number 2

Richard Clyne
06-17-2002, 07:20 PM
Well it's official, after the recent spate of team jumping we are now number 2 in the project.:cry:

Are we happy there or do we want to push for number 1 again?

magnav0x
06-17-2002, 08:03 PM
Well, I'm not a big producer so I can't do much :( but I did just order a laptop from Dell, P4 1.6 ghz, so that will help the cause some.

Richard Clyne
06-17-2002, 08:26 PM
:thumbs: magnav0x, it does not matter big, medium or small. It all helps the cause.:) :cheers:

Paratima
06-17-2002, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Richard Clyne
Are we happy there or do we want to push for number 1 again? Howzabout both? :D I can be happy almost anywhere. (Some would say "slightly crazed", but hey!).

AND there's only a 30-million or so point gap to get us back on top. All we gotta do is crunch like we're ...slightly crazed. :crazy:

PS. I just realized I've been promoted 3 places!! YeeHaw!

MAD-ness
06-17-2002, 10:24 PM
A few things:

a) when xj10bt comes back, that should put you ~150,000,000 structures in the lead again.

b) this is a good chance for you guys to have some new motivation, sitting so far ahead of everyone else had to be getting a little boring. You took #1 once, taking it again shouldn't be beyond you.

c) the small but consistent producers DO help a lot. In fact, they are the only reason that TSF is still even slightly close to Free-DC or KWSN. A little blurb I just posted on the TSF forum that illustrates this fact (and might give you guys an example of how people consistently crunching with one or two computers make a big difference over time:

ccording to Dyy's stats, during the last 24 hours, 146 people submitted atleast 1 structure for Ars Technica Team Stir Fry.

We lack the massive corporate farmers like the other top teams, but we also are nowhere near as dependent upon only a few members as the other top teams are.

We have 20 people averaging over 100k/day. We have another 20 between 50k and 100k/day average. We have another 73 producing 10k/ day or more. These are all unique numbers, i.e. each person is only counted in one range (500k/day producer isn't counted among the 50k- 100k/day producers, etc.).

I don't intend that to be bragging (especially since you still outproduce us on a daily basis as often as not) but simply something convenient to illustrate how a group of smaller producers can really help the bottom line production of a DC team.

d) TSF got bumped to #4 as a result of the team hopping. I believe that once xj10bt returns home, we will regain our position as well, but since we only passed 3DHQ when they lost Data and Terminator, it gives us good motivation as well. We had been chasing them for quite a while and then as we were rapidly approaching our overtake date, the defections happened.

Good luck, I think that we all know who the #1 DF team still is.

For the moment. ;)

DATA
06-18-2002, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by MAD-ness

Good luck, I think that we all know who the #1 DF team still is.

:cool: the winner all the time DISTRIBUTED FOLDING will always be the No 1 TEAM all others irrespective of their crunching power are only participants in life :D

Tax Bracket
06-18-2002, 07:04 AM
:confused:

Why do people feel the need to move around different teams?

dnar
06-18-2002, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Tax Bracket
:confused:

Why do people feel the need to move around different teams?
A very good question. This is the only aspect of DF that anoys the hell out of me... Yesterday, my team (3DHQ) was about to be overtaken by another team (OCN), the inter-team competition was starting to flare into taunting etc, when whamo!!!!! the game was over and we where elevated to 4th position...

In simpler terms, we where having fun, then we where not...

I beleive the main focus should always be on the project itself, ie. so long as the work is returned and the project benifts, thats all that should really matter, but.... Inter-team rivalry and competition is what keeps things interesting and fun (IMHO).

Howard, please remove the ability for members to move their work/stats!!!!!!!!

I have today returned my systems to GAH for a while (personal protest) and will contemplate my future contributions to DF once I cool off.

/walks into desert looking for a juniper bush, digs hole, sits in hole, takes vow of silence and contemplates starting a new team... :wink:

pointwood
06-18-2002, 09:02 AM
It annoys me a bit too, but it will not be changed - Howard has already said that.

Your opinion is that the work a person have contributed to a team should belong to that team forever. Another opinion is that the work a person have done belongs to the person that has actually contributed them and she/he is free to do whatever he likes with them.

Why do people jump around?
Mostly these people are just having fun. The fun part is however more or less only fun to them - to anyone else, it is annoying (which your post shows pretty well). I don't think the people that jump around, realise that.

No matter what, it makes the team competition less interesting and intense.

dnar
06-18-2002, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by pointwood
It annoys me a bit too, but it will not be changed - Howard has already said that.

Your opinion is that the work a person have contributed to a team should belong to that team forever. Another opinion is that the work a person have done belongs to the person that has actually contributed them and she/he is free to do whatever he likes with them.

Why do people jump around?
Mostly these people are just having fun. The fun part is however more or less only fun to them - to anyone else, it is annoying (which your post shows pretty well). I don't think the people that jump around, realise that.

No matter what, it makes the team competition less interesting and intense.
I agree with you fully Pointwood. I for one, would like to crunch DF with a bunch of friends/team mates/buddies (call them what you like) and know that they will stick with the team through thick and thin... It's much like marriage these days, the system provides for divorce, so people do it and it's all too easy.... Despite the wedding vow "till death do us part". A little dramatic is that parallel I know, but you get my point.

Not to mention the fact also (while I am at it), moving stats between teams makes an awefull mess of the 3rd party stats systems...

(Please excuse me if this argument has been had a million times over, I am relatively new to DF, with just under 10 million units to my credit...)

Richard Clyne
06-18-2002, 09:52 AM
PW & dnar, have to agree with your comments regarding peeps jumping from team to team.

Look at seti, with Team Lamb Chop and the Germans. There is having fun (if that is your idea of fun) and there is going over the top.:swear: :bang:

Richard Clyne
06-18-2002, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Supp
/scrubbing head, looking at stats, otherwisely confused

We??
Second?? :eek:

Well, for now, we're first again!

I am afraid to say it was true. We were number 2 when I went to my pit last night.

When I woke up this morning, if by magic, we were back at #1.

Okay it was not magic. One of 3dhq's flock had returned from a stint at KSWN.

It just shows, with all this jumping about makes news obsolete quicker than you can blink :)

Strange - The time this post had been given is an hour earlier than it should be. It now looks like I can read Supps mind :D

mr_mann
06-18-2002, 10:24 AM
Yea :D look at SETI!

Supp
06-18-2002, 10:55 AM

We??

Moogie
06-18-2002, 10:56 AM
Ah well, what can you do? It does get annoying, but at least for the most part, not everyone takes part in jumping around...and some have some valid reasons.

I enjoy DF..and I enjoy Free-DC. Lots of good folks here and all are welcome not matter how large their farms. And that to me, is what counts. I've learned alot here since I've joined and for that I am grateful.

:cheers: Dnar..good to see you my friend. How is your health these days?

:)

dnar
06-18-2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Supp

We??

hehehe, and we (3DHQ) are now 3rd... Someone *must* be having fun, I just don;t know who it is! :haddock:

dnar
06-18-2002, 09:16 PM
I find it odd that Moogies post is appearing above mine, since it was made a day later.... And, her post appears as the last post on the forum main page.... Weird stuff happening here.

Paratima
06-18-2002, 10:23 PM
Yeah. I'm trying to figure out how Richard Clyne quoted Supp before Supp posted! Interesting effect. I believe it's a whiplash kind of thing caused by working too far forward in the future. The accumulated time sort of "snaps back" on you. :smoking:

Angus
06-18-2002, 10:32 PM
I'm sure all the message trouble started when Dyyryath took down his stats server...

Anon E. Mouse
Seattle

dnar
06-18-2002, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Paratima
Yeah. I'm trying to figure out how Richard Clyne quoted Supp before Supp posted! Interesting effect. I believe it's a whiplash kind of thing caused by working too far forward in the future. The accumulated time sort of "snaps back" on you. :smoking:
It looked like a one hour shift in the server time to me. I posted last night, then returned 45 minutes later to post again and received the "you cant post within 30 seconds of your last post" message... But but but I didnt!!!!!

Poor old vBulletin was in a time warp! It's just a jump to the left... :cool:

dnar
06-18-2002, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Angus
I'm sure all the message trouble started when Dyyryath took down his stats server...

Anon E. Mouse
Seattle
Yeah, that's it, blame Dyyryath! :haddock:

Paratima
06-18-2002, 11:31 PM
Speaking of whom, where has the Stats Guy got to, anyway? :confused:

Yo, DYYRYATH. Where are you?

We're having to make do with second-best stats these days, and you know what a strain that is for this crowd!!

IronBits
06-19-2002, 12:12 AM
Master Dyyryath will be mostly out of touch until August. Work has him all tied up. Big push on a big job that can't miss a deadline (sorry bastard) :D
I tell ya...
Some people will do anything to get out of doing stats...
:rolleyes:
So you guys play nice and don't tear up the place while he's playing, I mean working.
I'm watching and I will RAT YOU OUT. ;)
And, you know what that means....
A fate worse than having your name up on the stats boards, in PINK :scared: :jester:

Moogie
06-19-2002, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by IronBits
Master Dyyryath will be mostly out of touch until August. Work has him all tied up. Big push on a big job that can't miss a deadline (sorry bastard) :D
I tell ya...
Some people will do anything to get out of doing stats...
:rolleyes:
So you guys play nice and don't tear up the place while he's playing, I mean working.
I'm watching and I will RAT YOU OUT. ;)
And, you know what that means....
A fate worse than having your name up on the stats boards, in PINK :scared: :jester:

And don't forget IB..right beside the name, the dancing pink elephant. :)

dnar
06-19-2002, 03:04 AM
Yet another fine forum with an infestation of pink elephants... Just what the world needed... :bang:

Moogie
06-19-2002, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by dnar
Yet another fine forum with an infestation of pink elephants... Just what the world needed... :bang:

Heh..thought you might like that. :)

Richard Clyne
06-19-2002, 06:58 PM
No, not again. My shrink told me I would stop seeing pink elephants, but they are back. :D