PDA

View Full Version : vbulletin upgrade information

Bok
12-19-2005, 03:37 PM
I successfully upgraded the boards from 2.3.6 to the latest 3.5.2.

Please note there are bound to be some changes. I can see a number of them, but I thought it best to have the board available whilst these are worked on..

1. The smilies are messed up probably due to the order they appear. I'll look into that.

2. the styles are totally different in v3 than v2. I've fixed some issues but may need to ask Dyyryath for help on the rest...

3. The search for posts today has moved to 'New Posts' or it is in the quick links dropdown.

Let me know what other issues you find...

Bok

alpha
12-19-2005, 04:08 PM
It looks nice and modern and clean. No issues that you haven't already mentioned so far.

PY 222
12-19-2005, 04:09 PM
:woot:

/me look around the new place.

Me Like! :rock:

PCZ
12-19-2005, 04:16 PM
Help give me the old legacy forum back :scratch:

CaptainMooseInc
12-19-2005, 04:19 PM
Downgrade downgrade downgrade!!!

That or make it look like the old one. Change frightens me.

Scoofy12
12-19-2005, 04:27 PM
I like the look of it, BUT...

is there any configuration or skin with the username/avatar/etc on the side like the old forum?
I like that better because usually posts tend to take up less vertical space that way. this is doubly so if you have a wide screen laptop (mine only has 800 px vertical resolution but has 1200 horizontal, which is wasted on most web sites)

or someone can prove me wrong by saying that the previous layout of the user information took up more vertical space for short posts, since it it had sort of a vertical layout too. i guess it depends on how many people have signatures that are twice the size of their average posts (sigs get a little ridiculous IMO..*cough* bok *cough* ) ;)

actually now that i think about it, the front forum listing page takes up much more vertical space now too.

Bok
12-19-2005, 04:32 PM
I know next to nothing on the styles, so all be patient until I can get Dyyryath to look at it..

Bok

Bok
12-19-2005, 05:58 PM
I like the look of it, BUT...

is there any configuration or skin with the username/avatar/etc on the side like the old forum?
I like that better because usually posts tend to take up less vertical space that way. this is doubly so if you have a wide screen laptop (mine only has 800 px vertical resolution but has 1200 horizontal, which is wasted on most web sites)

or someone can prove me wrong by saying that the previous layout of the user information took up more vertical space for short posts, since it it had sort of a vertical layout too. i guess it depends on how many people have signatures that are twice the size of their average posts (sigs get a little ridiculous IMO..*cough* bok *cough* ) ;)

actually now that i think about it, the front forum listing page takes up much more vertical space now too.

It's the new vbulletin style to be horizontal rather than vertical. I've changed it back to the 'old' archaic style.. as for signatures, you have the option to not display them in your user options
:haddock:

There is a mod which makes a user signature only appear once per page. I'll try and get that in at some point. Less mods the better though.

Anyway I've worked all afternoon on this and need a break now :(

Bok

Bok
12-19-2005, 06:05 PM
Does anyone have a screen print of the forum as it looked?

Save me trying to restore the old one to a seperate server to check the style settings?

Bok

em99010pepe
12-19-2005, 06:19 PM
Does anyone have a screen print of the forum as it looked?

Save me trying to restore the old one to a seperate server to check the style settings?

Bok

Bok,

Isn't this one:

User CP-Edit Options- Miscellaneous Options-FreeDC Legacy

Carlos

Bok
12-19-2005, 06:20 PM
no,

that was always there. And has also been converted to 3.x

Bok

em99010pepe
12-19-2005, 06:28 PM
I'm checking my cache (Opera, Mozilla, IE) to see if I can find a print screen of the old forum.

EDIT: Sorry, nothing here.

black_civic55
12-19-2005, 06:47 PM
i love the new look!!

Longbow
12-19-2005, 06:58 PM
I was going to break down and see about adding an avatar to my profile and I can't seem to find the place to add it under my User CP?

Bok
12-19-2005, 07:05 PM
I was going to break down and see about adding an avatar to my profile and I can't seem to find the place to add it under my User CP?

On the left side - Edit Avatar

Evilmoose
12-19-2005, 07:10 PM
I dont see an edit avatar on the left side either.

I notice mine still says FAD, Time to change it.

I like the look but Its going to take some getting used to:cool:

Longbow
12-19-2005, 07:33 PM
Nope, not showing up.

gopher_yarrowzoo
12-19-2005, 08:09 PM
Bok you struggling with styles are ya, I know that feeling, it looks good but i need to drop the font size to like 2 down from normal to get back the old look kinda, drop me a PM / e-mail about and I'll see what I can figure out surely between me, you and the mighty Dyyryth we can sort it out.. also Firefox moves the whole "reply message" box etc about 80px to right of where it maybe should be.. weird freaking glitch.

Bok
12-19-2005, 08:47 PM
Nope, not showing up.
So under Settings & options what do you see ??

I can't find anything in the forum settings to suggest it is switched off and I certainly see it, but I'm an administrator so that doesn't mean it isn't there...

Gopher, we'll see what tomorrow brings. I haven't had a reply from dyy yet, but he'll probably reply later tonight anyway. If I could find a screenshot I can probably fix it but I'm terrible at remembering colours personally...

The reply thing is because I can't find the option to put the smilies on the left. IIRC that's another mod anyway..

Bok

Longbow
12-19-2005, 08:55 PM
Here is the list I have under Settings and Options. No more, no less.

Edit Signature
Edit Email & Password
Edit Profile
Edit Options

LAURENU2
12-19-2005, 09:04 PM
the forum will not remember my password
every time I post I have to enter it even tho I tick (Remember Me? ):swear:

CaptainMooseInc
12-19-2005, 09:08 PM
Lauren check your Firefox and/or IE settings. Maybe try and find an old cookie for the forum and delete it. I have no problem staying logged in.

-Jeff

Merlin45
12-19-2005, 09:14 PM
I successfully upgraded the boards from 2.3.6 to the latest 3.5.2.

Please note there are bound to be some changes. I can see a number of them, but I thought it best to have the board available whilst these are worked on..

1. The smilies are messed up probably due to the order they appear. I'll look into that.

2. the styles are totally different in v3 than v2. I've fixed some issues but may need to ask Dyyryath for help on the rest...

3. The search for posts today has moved to 'New Posts' or it is in the quick links dropdown.

Let me know what other issues you find...

Bok

How do I go about changing the colors? I cannot read any postings unless I high light them......

It must be something simple, for I cannot find it. Simple things elude me all the time.......

Bok
12-19-2005, 09:23 PM
I think I fixed the avatars, please check them again.

Lauren, I think it must be a cookie setting. It's set to timeout after 15mins (which is the default, but you should be able to override this when logging in. Let me know if it doesn't work.

Merlin, I'm not sure. Check the dropdown at the bottom of the page and make sure you have it set to FreeDC, perhaps you are on a deprecated style..

I'm still working on a few other things, like the postbox being centered when it should be left..

I'm sure we'll get all these glitches sorted out in the next few days. It'll be worth it to be on the latest version of vBulletin. There were a number of security glitches I was not too happy about leaving open so it had to be done..

Bok

Longbow
12-19-2005, 09:31 PM
Edit Avatar is showing up now.

Bok
12-19-2005, 10:00 PM
Cool,

I'm running a search index rebuild right now to fix that.

Bok

Moogie
12-19-2005, 11:12 PM
Bok...you have done a superior job! Good going.

Folks...let's see if we can open up a sticky so that Bok has one area to answer questions in. Growing pains are tough but this guy is doing it all for free.

Bok..you ROCK! (and I so didn't mean to make that rhyme)

:hifi:

Scoofy12
12-19-2005, 11:27 PM
Bok...you have done a superior job! Good going.

Folks...let's see if we can open up a sticky so that Bok has one area to answer questions in. Growing pains are tough but this guy is doing it all for free.

Bok..you ROCK! (and I so didn't mean to make that rhyme)

:hifi:
i second the motion. criticism notwithstanding, i really do like this style. and the quick reply box at the bottom is something i really liked from other boards and i'm glad to see it here. and as for the sigs, i kind of like them anyway, so generally i prefer to see them than not.

thanks for all your work!

IronBits
12-20-2005, 12:03 AM
It will get better folks, hang in there.

The software has been upgraded, that's a good thing :thumbs:

Now the tweaks begin, to get the Forum looking like it used to and any new additional features the upgrade has brought to us. :cheers:

It takes time... let's give it a chance. The Theme is temporarily hiding... ;)

PY 222
12-20-2005, 12:53 AM
Bok, just thought that you might want to know, I am no longer able to access your statstool page. This is what it says:

There seems to be a problem with your cookie. Please clear your cookies and revalidate.

This is no rush on my part as I was just messing around. So take your time in fixing it. :banana:

LAURENU2
12-20-2005, 01:34 AM
It will get better folks, hang in there.

The software has been upgraded, that's a good thing :thumbs:

Now the tweaks begin, to get the Forum looking like it used to and any new additional features the upgrade has brought to us. :cheers:

It takes time... let's give it a chance. The Theme is temporarily hiding... ;)
No I want it NOW Right NOW :jester:

Shish
12-20-2005, 02:58 AM
Don`t normally like changes to familiar things but this is OK apart from an onscreen resizing thing which happens when I open the reply box.....maybe the monitor adjusting resolutions tho`.

Fine job Bok, guess we always appreciate the hard work eventually but it means I`ve had to RTFB again :confused: to set some things up....couldn`t figger where the new post search was at first......:idea: :)

2 days of drinking time left.....:cheers: :looney: :umm: :eek:

Dyyryath
12-20-2005, 03:23 AM
I just got home and got IB's voicemail. Unfortunately, I won't have time to mess with any of it tonight. I've got to get up tomorrow to drive to Raleigh.

I'll check in with you when I get done at the data center tomorrow and help with whatever still needs to be done.

Good job on the upgrade! :thumbs:

Marky-UK
12-20-2005, 05:31 AM
The only problem I've found so far is I can no longer get into the Statstool - I get a cookie problem. Since the new forum seems to be using a different cookie to before, is the statstool still using the old cookie?

http://www.free-dc.org/statstool.php

Chinasaur
12-20-2005, 07:03 AM
What was wrong with the way it was? Did I miss the poll that asked people if they wanted a new color scheme?

Do I have to look at the blue color or can I have my old color scheme back? This is way too bright on my eyes...even on legacy mode. :( The SOB theme puts the SOB logo at the top of the page replacing the Free-DC logo... was that intended?

Thank you for the maintenance on whatever you did though. I know it was probably needed.

Bok
12-20-2005, 08:11 AM
China,

there was no intentional change to the theme.. just the upgrade to version 3 messed up the scheme.

We'll get it restored in time.

I'll check on the cookie this morning. Might have just changed name slightly. Won't be a big deal I don't think.

:cheers: Dyy Up in my neck of the woods too, you could just pop over to Wake Forest :)

Bok

LAURENU2
12-20-2005, 09:47 AM
Well I had to reboot to fix the name / password problem Just wiping out the cookies did not work just by it self
But all is working OK now
And I see I no longer need Ispell for this forum:umm:

IronBits
12-20-2005, 10:15 AM
What was wrong with the way it was? Did I miss the poll that asked people if they wanted a new color scheme?

Thank you for the maintenance on whatever you did though. I know it was probably needed. There were some exploits that needed to be fixed that required the update. Master Dyyryath will put the house in order soon :D
Thanks to all of you for your patience and understanding! :notworthy

I like the WYSIWYG editor! :thumbs:

Bok
12-20-2005, 10:18 AM
Yes,

I enabled the wysiwyg ,seemed like a good option..

I've just fixed the statstool cookie detection too, seems like the password is additionally salted now for added security which I had to code for.

Bok

the-mk
12-20-2005, 12:59 PM
That or make it look like the old one. Change frightens me.
That's what I say :D

Thanks to Bok and all the others who were involved to the forum upgrade! Great job! :cheers:

Bok
12-20-2005, 01:40 PM
just me...

I'm working on the style, trying to get us back where we used to be. The style manager in 3.5 is a LOT different to the 2.x version, so I'm not really surprised that it couldn't upgrade the old style easily. The good thing is that there is a lot more that can be customized. But it will take time.

If you change the style at the bottom of the page to 'testing' you can see some of the changes I've already made. I did add the icons/links we had at the top of the page, but removed them again as the new links bar is much better anyway.

Bok

the-mk
12-20-2005, 03:48 PM
Bok,

is there an official list where I can write things of the upgrade, which don't work correctly?

There are some things that need to be issued...

- I don't know if it is just me, but the quick reply didn't really work for me.
[some time later that post]
after getting this "please click one of the quick reply icons in the posts above to activate quick reply." message I knew that I have to press a button on the lower right corner of a posts to be able to write into the quick reply. :crazy:

- on the smiley page the color of the font how to write the smiley (i.e. : cheers : ) are white and difficult to read, but I'm sure the issue will be ironed out after getting a nicer theme...

- on the lower right corner of the page are some links (contact us, www.free-dc.org, archive, top), where the archive link is broken

[EDIT]
clicked to fast to submit the reply :blush:

Thanks anyways for the great job you are offering to this community!! Have a cold one on me! :cheers:

Bok
12-20-2005, 04:12 PM
just start a new thread and I'll sticky it.

the-mk
12-20-2005, 04:15 PM
Ok, I'll create one in the next few minutes...

[EDIT]
created: http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10581
I hope I created it in the right section of our forum... I may not post new threads in news&discussion area, so I created it in the lounge...

please make sticky

Thank you :cheers:

Alien88
12-20-2005, 08:56 PM
I was shocked when I went to the forums and it didn't look normal. Scared me for a little bit :p

I'm sure once the theme problems are resolved that I'll like it better, right now the seventeenorbust forums just look odd :)

Thanks for all the hard work!
Alien88

Chinasaur
12-21-2005, 08:24 AM
Great! I can disable Sig's now like other boards using same SW/Ver :rock:

Thankfully we don't have (a lot of) people with HUGE obnoxious sigs like many boards, but it's getting worse and nice to have this functionality.

Makes reading easier and more posts per page.

Thanks Bok. I know you can never satisfy everyone/anyone :)

:cheers:

the-mk
12-21-2005, 11:42 AM
Yes, hiding signatures is a nice feature...

Also the pages are loading even faster and the server load can be reduced by a tiny little bit :D

You also have not so much to scroll through, I like it!

alpha
12-21-2005, 01:22 PM
Hiding signatures isn't a new feature, I enabled that months ago when some sigs started annoying me.

Bok
01-10-2006, 02:54 PM
Just upgraded to 3.5.3 as there was a security bulletin issued regarding some possible vulnerability. Was smooth, so I don't expect any problems due to it..

Bok

Shish
01-10-2006, 09:58 PM
Man I came up to the comp room for a quick look around and found upgrading going on and no access to the forums.
I was ready for a bout of withdrawal symptoms so I went back to the den and cracked a very old bottle of Armagnac open........
Goddamit man, that`s an expensive scare you gave me or around $60 bucks a sip not counting the litre of Chateau Neuf `89 that went with it.....I nearly didn`t get dinner cooked :scared:

Glad to see it wasn`t a major problem but unexpected nonetheless...:cheers: Bok, keep on fiddlin`.