PDA

View Full Version : An opportunity to Crush our favourite "enemies"

Fozzie
12-28-2005, 01:54 PM
No not the damned Arsians but Anandtech and the ever present Cows.

The current overtake for both of them is about 450 days.

Now I know DPAD isn't everyones favourite so I won't be asking for too much of your valuable cycles and leccy money.

So here's the pitch.

A two week/50 million target whichever is soonest.

Just to see if it is feasible how do people feel about it?

A little "squirt" of pace will drastically effect our :stomp: target and put the wind up the oppo.

Not asking for all or even the majority of people's firepower just a trebling/quadrupling of the power on the project for a short stint.

Anyways there's the pitch.

Just pop down a response if you can put some GHZ into the mix.

PY 222
12-28-2005, 03:00 PM
Hey Lauren, you interested in this project?

Maybe you can put a box or 10 on this :lmao:

LAURENU2
12-28-2005, 04:27 PM
Hey Lauren, you interested in this project?

Maybe you can put a box or 10 on this :lmao:
this is for the DPAD - Muon Neutrino Project ?
What Does it require as for OS bandwith?
Do you have a D/L linkor is it boinc

PY 222
12-28-2005, 04:35 PM
Lauren, this is a very easy project to run. No its not a BOINC project.

Requirements: Windows only.
Bandwidth: 100KB uploads every few hours
Connection: Don't need a constant connection as you can buffer work and connect at anytime you wish.

Download ZIP file: http://stephenbrooks.org/muon1/v442c.zip

Unzip the contents into a folder.

Create a text file in the same folder and name it user.txt. Inside that text file is where you put your username and Team. I have mine as PY 222[Free-DC.org], so you can put LAURENU2[Free-DC.org]

Once you are done with the user.txt file, go to config.txt file. This is where all your configuration lies. Most are self explainatory and should be left at default. If you have any questions, let us know.

Now to run the program. If you don't want the screensaver version, double click on the batch file muon1_cmdline.bat to run it using commandline.

If you want to look at the really cool screen saver, double click on the muon1.exe.

Longbow
12-28-2005, 05:50 PM
Or you can run muon1_background on all your boxen and use a program called muon cockpit to see all the output from one machine.

Sorry about my lack of output. I am out of town and there was a power outage. No one around the house to start my small farm back up.

LAURENU2
12-30-2005, 03:03 AM
Lauren, this is a very easy project to run. No its not a BOINC project.

Requirements: Windows only.
Bandwidth: 100KB uploads every few hours
Connection: Don't need a constant connection as you can buffer work and connect at anytime you wish.

Download ZIP file: http://stephenbrooks.org/muon1/v442c.zip

Unzip the contents into a folder.

Create a text file in the same folder and name it user.txt. Inside that text file is where you put your username and Team. I have mine as PY 222[Free-DC.org], so you can put LAURENU2[Free-DC.org]

Once you are done with the user.txt file, go to config.txt file. This is where all your configuration lies. Most are self explainatory and should be left at default. If you have any questions, let us know.

Now to run the program. If you don't want the screensaver version, double click on the batch file muon1_cmdline.bat to run it using commandline.

If you want to look at the really cool screen saver, double click on the muon1.exe.

Ok I did it on one node. How can I tell if it is giveing credit to the team?
If it worked Ill pop a few more in.
I do not need to register and get a user name for this project?

PY 222
12-30-2005, 03:15 AM
Ok I did it on one node. How can I tell if it is giveing credit to the team?
If it worked Ill pop a few more in.
I do not need to register and get a user name for this project?

No registration needed for this project.

As long as you have the user.txt file in the same folder and have put in LAURENU2[Free-DC.org] on the first line, then you should be fine.

Lauren, check the folder right now and if you have a results.txt file, then you are on your way to getting your name on the stats board.

Once the results.txt file gets to 100KB, it will automatically upload to one of the FTP servers and you should show up on the next stats run. Should be about 1 day, depending on how fast you can produce the results.

I'll be on the lookout for you. :thumbs:

edorajh
12-30-2005, 05:27 AM
Does Muon1 support crunchers behind proxy server?

em99010pepe
12-30-2005, 05:51 AM
DPAD Tutorial (http://free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8938).

Carlos

edorajh
12-30-2005, 06:13 AM
Thanks Carlos for pointing me to tutorial. But I still don't have a clue if I will be able to send results if I'm behind proxy.

Edo

edorajh
12-30-2005, 06:35 AM
When results.txt file should be created? I don't see it in my DPAD folder. I see file results.dat. I suppose that's not the same?

em99010pepe
12-30-2005, 07:22 AM
Edo,

When results.txt file should be created? I don't see it in my DPAD folder. I see file results.dat. I suppose that's not the same?

You don't have a results.txt file? Strange. When did you start crunching? Is the Auto-send results on?
I don't know nothing about the proxy thing.

Carlos

edorajh
12-30-2005, 07:35 AM
Just finished first WU and results.txt appears with 3 KB. So this part works OK. :thumbs:

meep
12-30-2005, 10:54 AM
Sounds like a plan Foz...

I have fired this up on a couple of my own machines for starters, my dual core workstation and one other - will see how it goes over the weekend.

Might even push the boat out and deploy it to the terribly underworked Xeon collection that I have been neglecting for the past few months :)

...im also liking the fact that it does not need network connectivity or to be fed work!!

edorajh
12-30-2005, 11:30 AM
What is the function of queue.txt file?

Thor
12-30-2005, 12:04 PM
The queue.txt wil appear when Muon finds a result with a low score. it will then check the result 5times (default). when it is done, it will disappear again.

Grets Thor

BTW: LAURENU2 did't see you after this last update (a few minutes ago)???

Have you uploaded anything yet?

PY 222
12-30-2005, 01:12 PM
Thanks Carlos for pointing me to tutorial. But I still don't have a clue if I will be able to send results if I'm behind proxy.

Edo

edorajh, unfortunately I don't know if DPAD will work behind a proxy.

Perhaps you could ask the Project Admins over at the official forums.

edorajh
12-30-2005, 02:05 PM
edorajh, unfortunately I don't know if DPAD will work behind a proxy.

Perhaps you could ask the Project Admins over at the official forums.

No problem. I will check it myself once I fill my results.txt file. If problem occurs I will then check with Admin.

Cheers.
Edo :cheers:

sTs950
12-30-2005, 03:31 PM
edorajh, results are sent back to the project via ftp so as long as you can ftp out of your machines you should be good. once results.txt gets up i think it's 30kb you can run the manualsend.bat to upload results (if you dont want to wait for 100kb before it auto sends).

Thanks,
Ryan

edorajh
12-30-2005, 06:15 PM
Ryan thanks for this info. I think I can ftp out of my machines. I just send manually my first results.txt file, but it is from machine that is not behind proxy. I will test my machines behind proxy on Monday when I get back to the office. This will be major fun! :beep: :rock:

Edo

edorajh
12-30-2005, 06:17 PM
BTW, minimum for manual transfer is 10000 bytes.