PDA

View Full Version : Can i get some help from the experts

Bullet2urBrain
01-02-2006, 03:22 PM
when i am trying to setup another machine with Rosetta. i am getting this error message.

BOINC Manager is not able to connect to a BOINC Client.
Would you like to connect again?

YES NO

i click yes.. nothing happens if i click no it just stops...

i have installed it on 2 computers and both worked just fine.. i dont think its a setting because i cannot even get to the point where i input my account information

forgive me if this is covered somewhere in a sticky.

Cheers.

~James.

LAURENU2
01-02-2006, 03:43 PM
MMMM is the syntax for your email and or password right
Can you get a web page up on that PC?
And what ver.of Boinc are you running and on what OS

Bok
01-02-2006, 03:45 PM
Which version of Boinc are you using ?

I've had this a number of times on the older releases. A reboot often fixes it, but also, try stopping Boinc Manager, then start boinc.exe itself and then start boinc manager, it should find it running and auto-connect.

Remember that boinc manager is just a front-end and not essential to the running of boinc. What is happening here is that you are starting boinc manager and it is failing to start boinc itself (I have no idea why though, I never figured it out myself).

Boincview is a better front-end to use to monitor multiple locations anyway, I highly recommend it, there are some decent tutorials to getting it going here in the Rosetta forum :)

Bok :cheers:

Bullet2urBrain
01-02-2006, 03:47 PM
Thanks guys/gals (Lauren?) for the fast responses.

it is a P4 running XP with BOINC ver 5.2. ish.. its the newest one.

i would not like to use Boincview yet.. as that computer is just a dedicated cruncher.. but it switches projects alot.. from d2ol to rosetta to F@H to pay some debts from XS.

Thanks i will try to start the BOINC.exe file first.. and report back.

Onwards and Upwards.

~James.

EDIT: well running BOINC in Cmd seems to have fixed it altho i cannot close the CMD version of BOINC without Manager crashing.. oh well.Thanks alot guys feel free to delete what you want.. this has solved my problems.

LAURENU2
01-02-2006, 04:07 PM
I think the Rosetta servers might be down I am getting NO WORK back on the clients requests

jasong
01-02-2006, 05:46 PM
Thanks guys/gals (Lauren?)
Lauren is male.(He gets this problem a lot. He mentioned once that sometimes clerks think he's using his wife's credit card)

Bullet2urBrain
02-01-2006, 11:52 AM
okay well rather than start another thread to clog up the FDC Servers.

i am now wondering what is happening with "Communication Deferred"... that seems okay.. meaning i have to wait to contact BOINC..

but why is my time Deferred on the order of 34 HOURS!!!?!?!??

is this something i have done wrong ? or is R@H just slowing everyone down to catch up?

Scoofy12
02-01-2006, 04:31 PM
probably the client could not contact the servers the last few times it tried. I think BOINC uses an exponential backoff strategy where when it has a failure, it waits X amount of time, and if it fails again it waits 2X, and again 3X or 4X, etc. so after a few failures the wait time can get long. when i see that i usually go looking for indications that the servers are down or whatever, and then either try again manually when i have the chance or let it work itself out.

Marky-UK
02-02-2006, 03:29 AM
If you've tried everything mentioned here and still can't get anywhere, check the firewall.

XP's firewall by default blocks connections to the boinc.exe, but only from other PCs. Other firewall products might behave differently. When I've installed BOINC on other PCs on the network I've always had to remember to configure the firewall too (with XP this is an exclude for boinc.exe).

Edited to add: And check the boinc.exe log files in case there's any clues in there. These are called std???.txt in the BOINC directory.

Bullet2urBrain
02-02-2006, 12:51 PM
well i dont know what has happened with it.. but it still lets me manually update..

next question is there a way to manually flush WU's without losing/ hurting my team..because i have a bunch due in like 2hrs that i wont complete and i dont wanna waste the CPU cycles if im not going to get credit.

Marky-UK
02-02-2006, 12:56 PM
With BOINCView and BOINC Manager you can abort individual WUs, even those that haven't been started yet. The client will then just report them as being cancelled.