PDA

View Full Version : WinXP login

LAURENU2
01-05-2006, 04:16 PM
I am new to XP And it is to say a little confuseing right now :umm:
And some of my Pharm is headless so it would be nice if the headless nodes could reboot without the need for a password

So Is there a way to start Win XP without haveing to imput a
pasword and Just go right to the desktop?

Shish
01-05-2006, 04:26 PM
You need controluserpasswords2 which is the older version of logon and allows you to set auto logon easier than with XP s normal one.
Just do a google for it and there`s plenty of sites have it.

PCZ
01-05-2006, 05:03 PM
Lauren use this

Unzip and double click the reg file then look in Control Panel

BTW
I hope on your headless crunchers you are enabling remote desktop.
Control Panel System Remote Tab.
Put a tick in remote desktop, apply, ignore the nagging from windows and reboot.

To control a remote node
Programs, Accessories, Communications, remote desktop.

To reboot a remote node without logging in use the following command:
shutdown -r -f -m \\node name
you can also use IP address instead of node name.

BTW
The above command only works if the user executing it is a valid user on the remote box.
So be consistent with usernames and passwords.

LAURENU2
01-05-2006, 09:39 PM
Thanks PCZ That file was hard to find:cheers:
I have not done the upgrade to the headless ones yet
I figured I should get the reboot figured out first
OK lets see if I got it right.
Computer names are not important like tester1 , tester2 , tester3 Etc
But I should put lauren as the user on that PC and all other headless PC's
And also use the same password all nodes to ?
I hope I got that right.
One last question what about the Firewall that is now built into XP
Should I turn it off?

PCZ
01-05-2006, 10:08 PM
Should i turn off the Firewall ?
If your machines have private IP's yes.
If you have Public IP's no

Do you have a router that does nat ?
Are your IP's 192.168.xxx.xxx IE: Private ?

Yes use the same usernames amd passwords on all your nodes otherwise you will have problems with authentication.
The Firewall will block you from remote desktop so best to turn it off but only if it's in a safe enviroment.
You can configure the Firewall to allow certain IP ranges and Services, but you really don't want to mess with that.

LAURENU2
01-05-2006, 11:00 PM
Thanks PCZ
I tried it out and it seems to work OK Sure is nice to have members to point you in the right way
Your the help-desk man PCZ_-->:thumbs:
_:hifi: __:allhail:
Thanks now all I have to is practice it and I will be ready to take over :umm: The WORLD

Shish
01-06-2006, 04:27 PM
If you want to continue with UltraVnc Laurenu2, there are a lot of facilities built into it for secure login etc but if you`re running headless video, make sure to download and install the video hook driver before you take the card out.
I still prefer the UltraVNC instead of the built in remote desktop.

Sorry about not attaching the file for you. If you still need a copy (just a.reg file and available on many of the linked Windows sites from MSFN.net ) I can email it to you (very small).
The vnc video hook driver is http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/ here on this page on the r/h side and is called Ultr@vnc video driver setup.

Anyway, I`m still playing with my new Opti 165.
Scares the s#*t outa me when the fan goes off cos the Thermalright SI 120 gives hunks of cooling and the thermal controlled fan I`m using shuts down below 40C and it seems the heatsink is perfectly happy to do without the fan when it`s not being pushed hard.
Had it up to 2650Mhz reliable (Memtest 86 for 3 hours) but you need max volts (1.55+) to keep it at that speed and I`m not happy with it running above 50C or at that voltage till it burns in and settles down. Still, reasonable temps (45ish) and default volts plus a bit (1.4+-) up to just past 2500Mhz (at 2520 just now, bloody MSI Corecell keeps interfering) so I`m happy after the benches I`ve run till I get it into the water cooled case to let it settle in. And it eats video crunching :D :rock: and does good in Rosetta.
Benches in the benchmark thread.

Oh....and it`s also running on some superb Geil 4400 Ultra that I got very cheap (£80 for 2x512Meg) and doesn`t need more than the normal 2.75v to get to 300meg (still not found where it stops) unlike the OC stuff with about 3.5v on it and an expensive DFI Lanparty.
Everything for this computer (except the cpu, retail box £230 with a really nice heatsink, unused, and he`s got some more for when I repair the Xmas damage to my credit cards) was bought as "Returns/Repaired by Manufacturer) and less than, mostly, half price but still with warranty....now all I need to find is a 7800 or a Radeon 1800XL at less than a ton to complete the rig :thumbs: :D :harhar:

LAURENU2
04-09-2006, 09:40 PM
I did a upgrade on another node all went well, it took my password on the first logon but after it rebooted it would not take any password Mine or the Admins:bang:
Is there a way to get into the system to fix it? Or bypass the password so I can fix it within the sysem?:cry:

IronBits
04-09-2006, 09:47 PM
I don't think so.... did you make sure CAPS LOCK wasn't on?

LAURENU2
04-09-2006, 10:09 PM
I don't think so.... did you make sure CAPS LOCK wasn't on?
good point iI did not think of that Ill give it a shot:thumbs:

LAURENU2
04-09-2006, 10:38 PM
:cheers: - :thumbs: IB Thank you Your always there for US You were right it was the cap key
:allhail:

LAURENU2
08-28-2006, 02:27 AM
Ok a new problem I need to figure out
When useing M$ Remote desktop is there a way to make the Remote pc reboot. All I can find is disconect, logoff, :bang:

PCZ
08-28-2006, 02:37 AM
Yes

On the remote PC
Start menu run, type
shutdown -r

It will reboot in 30 secs.

Make sure you use the -r otherwise it will power down and you will have to manually restart it. :)

the-mk
08-28-2006, 05:44 PM
two alternatives to that:
1. if you are in full screen mode and use the classic start menu, type hold the right ALT button, then press DEL (it should appear the same if you press CTRL-ALT-DEL on not remote machine) and here you should have the option to shutdown/reboot
2. start->settings->security, same dialog as above, hit the option to shutdown/reboot

just in case you don't like to type anything :D