PDA

View Full Version : MySQL Problem!

gopher_yarrowzoo
01-15-2006, 07:58 PM
Okay here's the situation.
Im running Xampp 1.4.14 - I got the latest ready to install but I can't access the MySQL web interface sections of this setup, I basically won't accept the password Im feeding it even although it's the correct root one or at least one with proper full admin level access.
I've hunted around and I've tried stopping the deamon, restarting it with the recommend -- option (which escapes me atm) and it spits out the error that it can't find the error.msg block even although it's in the path and it's being told specifically where it is, or I hope it is..
Any hints would be helpful
Running on a Win98se Box that's about to get a mem upgrade - darn thing can't run Web, FTP and a DC project on 256mb anymore lol.

Bok
01-15-2006, 09:21 PM
Can you access via the commandline tools ok ?

When you say the web features, do you mean phpmyadmin?

Otherwise I've no idea, never installed it on windows.

Bok

gopher_yarrowzoo
01-16-2006, 04:21 PM
yeah I mean via PHPMyAdmin - sorry meant to make that clearer, the CLI tools is what spits out the error it can't find the english error.msg file it knows the path as well and it's fully qualified and the file exists where it says it wants it..
running mysqld from the CLI

magnav0x
01-16-2006, 08:34 PM
Is Xampp run (located) on the same machine as the SQL server? Don't quite understand what exactly your problem is, by reading your post. CLI works or doesn't? You say it doesn't accept your password (like it's invalid), but you also said something about it not being able to located your error.msg file.... I'm still unsure as to what exactly the problem is.

gopher_yarrowzoo
01-17-2006, 04:03 PM
Im Running Xampp which contains Apache 2 with PHP 5, MySQL, Mercury Mail Server and Filezilla FTP
They are all located in D:\web_server\xampp\ with the appropriate sub folders like \mysql for mysql \phpmyadmin for the php admin tool
now I can start and stop the sql tool from the Xampp control panel no problem.
I'd say I'd tell you the error but the prompt error seems to have gone away - stranger and stranger, I'm going try and do what it says here
[QUOTE]

Stop the mysqld daemon process.
Start the mysqld daemon process with the --skip-grant-tables option.
Start the mysql client with the -u root option.
Execute the UPDATE mysql.user SET Password=PASSWORD('password') WHERE User='root';
Execute the FLUSH PRIVILEGES; command.

If this works it's a miracle lol
Darn strange it honestly DIDN'T work the last time I tried it..
*Edit*
Okay That work, the stupid thing may have just needed a swift reset to get working again...
Everything working again now I can start to maybe learn MYSql.
Anyone know of any good places to start / ideas oh how I can do it via CLI as well as web based?

Bok
01-17-2006, 04:36 PM
I would just use mysql.com personally. It really depends on what you don't know.

Simplest thing to do is enter mysql, perhaps use phpmyadmin to create a new user, much easier from there than the commandline.

1. create new database;

2. create table in database

3. insert into table

4. Then select from it.

I presume you already know sql ?

What are the ultimate aims? php coding to access it maybe?

Bok

gopher_yarrowzoo
01-17-2006, 06:42 PM
Yup wanna do simple things like Php Driven Databases your right - probably will do it from GUI looks easier - i'll look at mysql.com and figure it all out, me prefer to learn the CLI that way I know what's going on 1st, since the PHP coding will much be like the CLI :P
:) anyway :cheers: me gonna have a major headache now from learning new code...

Bok
01-17-2006, 07:43 PM
Let me know if you want a simple piece of php which will create a connection to the db and access a table. It's really very simple...

Bok

gopher_yarrowzoo
01-18-2006, 03:53 PM
Will do Bok mate :thumbs: :thumbs:
I mean if I can set up and manage a basic multi-tabled relational MS Access DB I can manage MYsql.