PDA

View Full Version : D-Link Anyone...

gopher_yarrowzoo
01-18-2006, 04:05 PM
Ok at my 3 attempt to get a router that actually does more than just let me connect to the internet and do stuff, don't ask what the other 2 were one was a very basic BT locked down Router that let you add your ID and Password for ADSL to connect, the 2nd one was an "Origo" "Where in the World you can go" - anywhere but into anything more advanced than router #1.
Which brings my to router #3 a nice easy to use D-Link DSL-504T now to the questions.
1) How the HELL are you meant to have the router behave well enough to fix down a SPECIFIC machine to a SPECIFIC IP address as I have a webserver and obviously want it to stay static without having to set it static in it's webconfig
2) This thing has a "lease time", now on my current set up I have IP's reserved for my machines so that I can always remote admin to them on their IP address also added each machine all other machines' HOST file and they never expire.
3) I use Remote Admin which uses a specific port now at present no problem I can remote manage them but that don't seem to work anymore
4) DNS - I have this enabled and pointing at the machine with the modem I've called it Quarks - workgroup is DS9 (Hey can i help it I was bored when I set the network up and can't be bothered changing it now)
Anything I've missed - basically HELP, the manual don't help much it's not very in depth in the areas I want :|

LAURENU2
01-18-2006, 05:04 PM
I beleave you have to set that one address in the DMZ setup in the router to be seen by the internet
go through a PC browser to (I think) 192.168.1.1 get into setup and look for DMZ
And I think it is best to plug that webserver into port #1 on the router
You might have to set the IP in the websever network

Calling all network admins step forward and be heard

PCZ
01-18-2006, 06:09 PM
You have the luxury of a manual :jester:

Network engineer reporting as ordered ;)
Now explain slowly what you want to achieve.

gopher_yarrowzoo
01-18-2006, 07:15 PM
Okay PCZ,
I have at current 4 machines
Workgroup is DS9
Machine\IP
Quarks\192.168.1.1 (Current Gateway machine) running WinRoute Pro 4.x with a Fixed IP (want it to go via DHCP and become 1.5 always)
Teroknor\1.2 (By DHCP) - Fixed
Uss-Defiant\1.3 (By DHCP) - Fixed
Docking-Ring\1.4 (By DHCP) - Fixed
TCP/IP Props of each machine are
Obtain IP Automatically
DNS Enabled - Host Quarks Domain DS9, DNS Search Order 192.168.1.1
Gateway - got via DHCP, Use DHCP for WINS
Now Winroute Pro has a few ports mapped many of which I can't remember what they are for some are games, some are fileshare ports
I basically want to map all the ports I have mapped on my s/ware router to the hardware one..
I want the ip address to stay the same if possible i.e i want to be able to reboot and not get say 1.6 instead of 1.2 and thus the port forwardings get screwed up, I want to keep it via DHCP as well seems the easiest way to do it
hope that clarifies it better - the manual was on CD that came with the router how nice of them eh PCZ..
I want to do all this as well the machine that is running the s/ware router need to be re-installed it's not a pain but well could be doing with de-glitching and well if I do that no internet connection unless i find the usb modem cd which is erm "somewhere"

Chinasaur
01-18-2006, 08:02 PM
1. WTF are you using WinRoute Pro if you have a HW router?
2. Stop using DHCP. Give all your puters a static IP.
3. Point them to Gateway 192.168.1.1 (My router IP so you get 10 points for that). Add DNS for your ISP.
4. Get into the router (Advanced:Virtual Server OR Advanced:Applications tab) and add the ports you need.
5. Voila. No more problems.
6. Rinse. Lather. Repeat.

Next.

P.S. - I'm expensive..but can be reserved for parties and Bar/Bat Mitzvah's.

PCZ
01-18-2006, 08:17 PM
The first thing you have to establish is if your DLINK can do DHCP reservations.
I downloaded the manual but it doesn't mention it.

Go into the web interface and see if there are any DHCP scope options.
Look for reservations.
If not you will have to manually assign IP's to your hosts.
This is probably the best option anyway.

I assume you have the router up and running already on your LAN with the 192.168.1.1 address ?

If quark is up and running with the 192.168.1.1 address you'll get a duplicate IP, I'd change this manually to be .5.

IronBits
01-18-2006, 11:09 PM
I went to the site and looked at the specifications for it and read:
DHCP•Server and Client

Shish
01-19-2006, 07:29 AM
I`ve got one lying around somewhere. Use it as a loaner.
It will handle dhcp OK as Dlinks are fairly standard and will give each machine the same address and save it. That`s on the first tab normally, under dhcp.
Second tab gives you all the advanced functions where you can map ports to each machine and set up any games etc that require the same sort of thing or multiple ports and any servers you want to specify.
It can set up most of the security stuff such as banned addresses and domains, bar a machine from the wan, only allow specific mac addresses to connect etc and it should have on the tools page I believe, a miscellaneous bit which has the reboot now and sets up deny ping from wan, plug and play, gaming mode, remote admin and a few other things.
Any questions more specific, give me a shout and I`ll set one up to see what you need.
Use the wizard to kick it off then go through the functions which are pretty standard.

gopher_yarrowzoo
01-19-2006, 02:48 PM
1st thanks, yeah I only just got the Freaking H/Ware router lol... I will be moving "Quarks" to 1.5
2nd well hmm it does have reservablity but that's the thing i don't know if it's a naming thing but I've tried to use names, like I set it up on work pc which got an IP I wanted to use so I reserved it with the machine name of Teroknor but did this machine the one Im typing on right now when I plug it and only it into the router once I got home after having saved the settings and rebooted the router at work, Did it heck as like it got 1.7 which was the next available as 1.6 was taken up by the machine at work which was no longer connected - me thinking Factory default the fooker and boot it into next week..
I must be doing something WRONG.. Oh wait I am I wanna Netgear they much simplier and work via MAC addresses.

Shish
01-19-2006, 10:19 PM
The Dlink and Netgear are very similar.
It`s a 604 I`ve got and it works fine. Very easy to set up and it`s got help screens built in.
I believe yours is the older, base model and may need a firmware upgrade which basically means checking your model no. on the label (might be a B issue or a C issue etc.) then going to Dlinks site, look it up and download the file, follow the destructions (if the router doesn`t like the one you pick (ie the wrong one) it normally won`t use it and tell you so) and it should come up with a firmware upgrade complete message, then do a "hard" reboot, ie power off completely and maybe do a rest to defaults for good measure.
Normally, on the dhcp tab, it will have something like "clone mac" which puts all the macs it has seen to a permanent cache where you can then name them, assign the net number you`ve set from the range you`ve allowed and the router will continue to give them the same address. Must have set up the ip range and how many to allow first of course.
Early Dlinks did have a habit of "locking up" when it was best to do a full hardware reset and there were a fair number of faulty ones ( as with some other cheaper routers) which kept losing their link to the net and/or just locking up.
Anyway, check you`ve got some up to date firmware cos I`ve seen a few which didn`t like Motorola modems for some reason (cable) and went fine after a firmware upgrade and there are different country firmwares which sometimes work better ( German site normally has the best) but beware of foreign firmwares which may implement features etc not certified for FCC or your country.

gopher_yarrowzoo
01-20-2006, 08:22 PM
Hmm im running the lastest firmware I can run on that router from the UK site.. it don't do MAC's :| oh well I guess I will just have to suck it and see - 1 pc at a time, give it 1st free IP, 2nd fix that IP in router, save and repeat...
Thanks anyway - why is nothing ever simple for me!

gopher_yarrowzoo
01-22-2006, 05:12 PM
Okay, got it all set up finally had to basically connect all the PC's one by one and get them to get the next free IP, play around a little with a few things on the one that was 1.1, connected up and all was fine, or so I thought....
I could get e-mail fine but erm noticed all the stuff I reported as SPAM had gotten back to me with a report from spamcop.. then an error appeared on MailWasher Pro
it couldn't find my ISP's SMTP server.. odd I thought, service is up, tried a test e-mail to my hotmail account - it Failed.. So that's it they are all very nice but **** that all the access I want but sending of e-mail, so I reset it back to the way it was and after a little bit of a kicking and a renabling of the S/ware routers DHCP service and DNS forwarding I'm back on line as I want to be..
So any hint, tips on this router please don't give them to me, I don't wanna hear them..

gopher_yarrowzoo
01-29-2006, 07:03 PM
Lol I guess I was a little pissy that day, well I got it to work, I didn't change a thing, I had switched it off, left it for days and booted it back up, and weirdly it worked, no changes at all..
Just maybe a suitle :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: on the head eh!
:rotfl: :lmao: :rotfl: