PDA

View Full Version : Installing Linux concerns

jasong
01-26-2006, 06:19 PM
Friday night(I'm GMT -6), I'm planning on installing Linux on my second machine. I'm going to install the Linux version of the program I'm running, but I'm concerned that I might waste time trying to figure out how to install and run it.(Btw, it's the Linux version of proth sieve that I'm going to install).

Should I be worried?

PY 222
01-26-2006, 07:35 PM
Are you concerned about installing Linux or concerned about installing the Linux version of proth sieve.

jasong
01-26-2006, 10:39 PM
Are you concerned about installing Linux or concerned about installing the Linux version of proth sieve.
Mostly, I'm concerned about lost time due to the learning curve.(I guess I'm addicted to maxing out my cpu, lol.)

PY 222
01-27-2006, 01:43 AM
Mostly, I'm concerned about lost time due to the learning curve.(I guess I'm addicted to maxing out my cpu, lol.)

Go ahead and install Linux.

Once you learn how to install Linux, you'll be able to learn how to run the Linux client in no time.

Don't worry, we are always here to help.

jasong
02-06-2006, 04:20 PM
I plan on buying a new hard drive tonight, as soon as my online money transfer goes through in about 3hrs40min.

When I get it I hope to switch out my drives and clone my Linux hard drive, but I have two questions:

What's the best way to go about cloning the drives, and...

My reason for buying the new drive is so I can have the entire FC4 library on my hard drive. Is there a yummy way(pun intended) to get all the packages I didn't install the first time, and then update them?

Scoofy12
02-06-2006, 05:44 PM
the best way to clone drives under linux is partimage. You can also get partimage on a bootable CD (i think the main one is called sysrescuecd, but i'm sure there are others as well).