PDA

View Full Version : Video Server

DesertFolk
02-10-2006, 04:07 AM
Can someone tell me how to take video feeds from satellite receivers and broadcast them over a network? I'm looking at streaming up to 6 channels over a network. I have used ATI cards to get the video stream into a pc, and then I used ubroadcast to feed the stream onto the network, but it is hokey and breaks a lot.

Any suggestions?

Merlin45
02-10-2006, 11:03 AM
Howdy stranger, long time no see:Pokes:

Just thought I would say hiya..........:cheers:

Bok
02-10-2006, 06:23 PM
Can someone tell me how to take video feeds from satellite receivers and broadcast them over a network? I'm looking at streaming up to 6 channels over a network. I have used ATI cards to get the video stream into a pc, and then I used ubroadcast to feed the stream onto the network, but it is hokey and breaks a lot.

Any suggestions?

Can you determine whether the breakup is due to network latency or cpu processing perhaps on the server? Maybe you just need to downgrade the quality somewhat ?

Bok

Shish
02-10-2006, 09:18 PM
Are you using wire or wifi?
Even 54Mbps wifi is a bit slow and six channels is a fair lump, need Gbit bandwidth for that unless you compress it.
I use Video Lan player from http://www.videolan.org/here or ATI`s own if it`s comp to comp with ATI AIW cards in both. Several other setups will work but there`s only the beginnings of commercial stuff and it`s mainly tied to DVds and audio setups own kit which has network capability built in.
I have my own setup which is a bit haywired from a lot of different kit but there again, I am or was a radio/electronics engineer.
But that site will get you going on streaming and has most of what you need.

DesertFolk
02-15-2006, 03:27 PM
Merlin,

Howdy! It has been a while, and it is certainly good to hear form you. I've been busy doing this :bang:, which makes me want to do this :trash:! 12-16 hours of work every day, 7 days a week for almost a year now...I'm not complaining, but I will certainly enjoy my vacation in May!

Bok,

I had a few channels streaming across the network through 3 laptops via ATI usb TV Wonder cards. The video and sound were both ok, but I had to re-image all 3 machines due to a recent virus. Since then, I have loaded and configured everything the way it was before, but I cannot get the sound to stream out over the network. The sound is definitely coming into the laptops from the receivers because I can hear it when I launch ATI TV. The video streams just fine...just no sound.

Shish,

Everything is wired and the core of the network is Gigabit. The only part of the network that is less than Gigabit is the connection to the pc's, and they are 100MB. I was using ubroadcast and I read about the functionality of VLC, but I am looking for a hardware solution...something to replace laptops and external TV cards.

Shish
02-15-2006, 10:20 PM
Are you now using the latest MMC on your ATI cards cos it`s borked and I`ve gone back to the previous one. Digital sound on some cards don`t work and you have to "force" an analogue sound driver from an earlier driver set or maybe you`ve got the wrong sound setting for how it`s connected.
Can`t give you a legal way but hardware I`m running choice of 4 cable and 15 satellte plus terrestrial digtal and analogue via ATI/VLC and both digital senders and radio remotes, computers mainly just store it for use on the newest store and watch software. I used to share it and cost with several neighbours but now it`s just house wide and over 10Ghz radio plus some commercial stuff. Video senders are getting dirt cheap now and all the other hardware should be in your local satellite shop except for the 10Ghz stuff which is ex doppler alarm system.
Mainly homebrew stuff and mix and match set up over several years.
Gigabit should be OK for bandwidth. I use around 60 meg a channel for normal broadcast stuff. Hi Def takes around a hundred. be careful of how long gigE runs are cos it can degrade on class 5 copper quite quick.
Go get some video senders and use VNC to control the computers plus the usual MMC setup and run it over wifi, that`s now the easiest, cheapest way to do it unless you want to get into pro streaming stuff.

Shish
02-17-2006, 12:51 AM
Nearly forgot about another system, Myth TV, an open source TV, capture and server prog with a ton of other modules.

Look here for info.
http://www.mythtv.org/modules.php?name=MythInstall