PDA

View Full Version : Revenge of the Linux Noob

Fozzie
02-12-2006, 12:59 PM
OK I got the Suse 10 working with wifi but the multifunction scanner/printer/copier wasn't supported so it was back toWindoze for that box.

However I have been toying with the idea of using Damn Small Linux for virtual PCs to protect our Dimes lead. I know I could do it with Win2k but I like to try new stuff.

Ok now I have got so far as to have 2 VPC with DSL transferred onto the hard disk to boot from there.

Now whilst i can PING the default gateway I can't get the dosey thing to connect to the 'Net via Firefox.

It's DSL 2.2 and VPC 2004.

Any ideas?

sTs950
02-12-2006, 01:07 PM
Fozzie, try a netstat -rn and take a look for the 0.0.0.0 (default gateway) entry. Verify that you have a default gateway set... if not, edit /etc/sysconfig/network (on redhat/fedora atleast). Make a GATEWAY=<your gateway> save and reboot (maybe able to ifdown eth0 and ifup eth0 but not sure if it will re-read that network file and set a gateway or not..)

Thanks,
Ryan

Fozzie
02-12-2006, 02:49 PM
I can PING www.bbc.co.uk from the console but Firefox will not connect?

Where's the logic there?

I did route add nameserver 192.168.x.y > the config file and rebooted.

:looney:

gopher_yarrowzoo
02-12-2006, 04:02 PM
*slides Fozzie the hammer of wrath*
Hmm Fozzie try that, a few quick slaps with that should help :D oh and check the settings in Firefox - they might be wrong Tools > Options > General > Connection Settings :D
(Gonna assume you've checked those or else hmm *zips lips*)

sTs950
02-12-2006, 04:38 PM
I can PING www.bbc.co.uk from the console but Firefox will not connect?

:looney:
can you telnet to port 80 of www.bbc.cu.uk? once you connect hit a few keys then enter.. you should get something like below..:

[ryan@linux ryan]$ telnet www.bbc.co.uk 80
Trying 212.58.240.110...
Connected to www.bbc.co.uk.
Escape character is '^]'.
a
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
<html><head>
<title>501 Method Not Implemented</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Method Not Implemented</h1>
<p>a to / not supported.<br />
</p>
</body></html>
Connection closed by foreign host.

or use lynx from the command line.. If you cant connect via one of those methouds maybe you have a firewall blocking access?

Thanks,
Ryan