PDA

View Full Version : ARS is ramping up

IronBits
02-14-2006, 08:20 PM
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/122097561/m/997006177731

Just thought you guys might want to know, it appears they are ramping up...
:bonk:

Bok
02-14-2006, 09:59 PM
That ain't ramping :rotfl::p

PY 222
02-14-2006, 10:58 PM
I say let them come.

Ars is no longer the Team they once were. :Pokes:

LAURENU2
02-15-2006, 12:29 AM
That ain't ramping :rotfl::p
Your right it sounded more like :Pokes: then anything.
I think they have been following them Cow's to long and are High on methane :fart:

Digital Parasite
02-15-2006, 01:52 PM
Lauren, are all your boxes off Rosetta and onto DPAD now or are you running anything else?

The client is only available for Windows right now correct?

Fozzie
02-15-2006, 02:14 PM
but it is by far the easiest client to run and to sneakernet since DF, and without the protein changeover headaches.

More GHZ always welcome too.

LAURENU2
02-15-2006, 04:00 PM
Lauren, are all your boxes off Rosetta and onto DPAD now or are you running anything else?

The client is only available for Windows right now correct?

Yes all mine are off right now since we are #1 in Rosetta and in no danger of being over taken the team does not need me there All nodes are doing Dpad so we can take over the top spot there.
I am also starting to upgrade and deploy some on Dimes but it is slow as I am limited on time here I think I have 10 or so right now to help ward of the advancement of the teams below us:hifi: Team work:hifi:

Digital Parasite
02-15-2006, 04:55 PM
And DIMES you can co-install with another DC client because it doesn't use much CPU power, just network traffic.

DPAD looks interesting, too bad my offline machines that I would need a good sneakernetting client for are not Windows. ;(

Biggles
02-20-2006, 04:46 AM
I say let them come.

Ars is no longer the Team they once were. :Pokes:

I'll bite :)

You lot just won't play in the big boys' projects. Somewhere in the region of 2/3rds of our power is in the big projects - F@H, SETI and GIMPS.

I mean come on guys, 341st in GIMPS? Must be a bit embarassing. So must being 48th in Folding. The "premier" team barely makes the top 50 in the now biggest and best known project. Oh dear. What about the daddy of them all? 794th in SETI! You'll be out the top 1000 at this rate! :umm:

I'd understand if you were all hanging out in the medium sized projects, like Rosetta, CPDN or Einstein. 1st temporarily in Rosetta and.... *scrolls down*... oh 82nd in CPDN. 140th in Einstein.

I guess what it shows really guys is that you are nothing more than a big fish in a small pond.

:cheers:

Moogie
02-20-2006, 09:01 PM
So does this mean ya'll don't need any more help?

LAURENU2
02-20-2006, 10:53 PM
I guess what it shows really guys is that you are nothing more than a big fish in a small pond.

http://www.incredible-adventures.com/sharks/graphics/farallons-shark02s.jpg
I'll bite So do we :lmao:

edorajh
02-21-2006, 01:40 AM
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Biggles
02-21-2006, 04:18 AM
http://www.onpassage.com/Safety_Gear/Radar_reflectors/supertanker.jpg

Go right ahead Lauren, just watch your teeth and mind the prop :)

Stratcat
02-23-2006, 12:24 PM
I'll bite :)

So do we :lmao:

Bite? BITE?? BITE??? :rotfl:

Heh - Sorry pal, TDOW got a lock on that!!! :Pokes:

Ohhh...I see yiour from Chi-Town, like myself. O.K., I'll cut you some slack. :cheers:

WOOF!

Strat

/me barks a friendly "WOOF!" & does a friendly "sniff" to my fellow TDOW that may have strayed asunder

<edit>

BTW - Just wondered why CPDN seems to be somewhat shunned around here? It's by far the 2nd most popular project run under BOINC (after SETI), as can be seen HERE (http://www.boincsynergy.com/stats/). Unless, perhaps there's a distaste for BOINC projects w/i FDC?

</edit>

Fozzie
02-23-2006, 12:34 PM
we all know who would win, DF showed us that, even with the largest Corporate pharmer I'd ever seen and front page pimpage to be ashamed of we still smacked you down.

Now without that focus we like many other DC teams are spread amongst personal favourites.

For myself GIMPS is a maths project so a non-starter not my thing. SETI well I'd see it as wasted cycles. The only oe i would have tried was F@H but i didn't care for the client.

So DPAD works for me just fine.

It will be another project in which we will become number 1.

IronBits
02-23-2006, 01:04 PM
WOOF!!! ;)
CPDN takes to fricking long, however I did toss a box on the new BBC one.
Hopefully we can find a few more cures before Mother Nature rolls over on all of us!

LAURENU2
02-23-2006, 06:01 PM
Bite? BITE?? BITE??? :rotfl:

Ohhh...I see yiour from Chi-Town, like myself. O.K., I'll cut you some slack. :cheers:
WOOF!
BTW - Just wondered why CPDN seems to be somewhat shunned around here?
Unless, perhaps there's a distaste for BOINC projects w/i FDC?
Yep born and raised in http://egov.cityofchicago.org/webportal/images/main_header.gif :umm: one of the most expensive places to live in the states

Stratcat I see you joined the wrong team :idea: there is still time to join the right team before it is to late:rock: Free-DC

Stratcat
02-24-2006, 11:24 AM
WOOF!!! ;)It's a small (DC) world, isn't it?

I knew you had some serious history w/Ars, but didn't realize you were one of the good doggies, 'till I did some chatting this A.M., w/Jetta, on ARS #Dist IRC.

A bit before my Arsian tenure, unfortunately. Well, as I posted to Shish when he moved over, once a dawg, always a dawg, & the kennel is always stocked w/cold Stella, the finest single malts, & fine aged tequila. So all dawgs, who may have roamed far & wide, are always welcome for a visit. Fifi & the girls are in-house 24/7 to make all the weary or restless feel right at home, too! :clap:

CPDN takes to fricking long,

[...]
Heh - After a quick check of the DC-Vault BBC stats, it appears the WU's aren't too long for some FDC'ers! :Pokes:

Anway, irregardless of the stepfamily-of-sorts relationship between ARS & FDC, we are all still DC brethren. :cheers:

GL,

Strat

WOOF!

Stratcat
02-24-2006, 11:44 AM
Yep born and raised

[...]Yeah, I was born & raised on the SouthSide, first in Brighton Park/Bridgeport, then Archer Heights (near Midway airport), & spent nearly all my life there, 'till I recently moved to Niles (N.W. 'burb) when I went to work for Motorola.

Stratcat I see you joined the wrong teamAhhh...I'm fine where I'm at. Besides, we once were all one team, and even now as seperate entities, as I mentioned in my post to IronSides, we are all DC brethren. :cheers:
FDC & ARS have often cross-populated, and tho we compete, we are all freinds & cohorts, attempting to contribute a bit to make the world a slightly better, or more knowledgeable, place.

Strat

LAURENU2
02-24-2006, 06:38 PM
Ahhh...I'm fine where I'm at. Besides, we once were all one team, and even now as seperate entities, as I mentioned in my post to IronSides, we are all DC brethren. :cheers:
FDC & ARS have often cross-populated, and tho we compete, we are all freinds & cohorts, attempting to contribute a bit to make the world a slightly better, or more knowledgeable, place.

Strat
I will 2nd that --->:cheers:

:umm: BUT all in all Free-DC will be #1 :lmao: :smoking: __ :rotfl:

PS 53 years here in Wicker Park ( near north side 5 Min to Downtown)

Shish
02-24-2006, 10:22 PM
Only thing I remember about Chicago is the plane landed nearly sideways which woke me up (or at least the trolley dollie poking me in the ribs did) and they had to drag me outa bed in the hotel to get on the next plane.
Seem to remember a view of a steel blue lake and some big brown buildings with white ones in between as we took off before I went to sleep again.
I know some good travellin drugs :D

Anyway, greets and a howl to Strat, just on my way out down country to visit the boys` newest pub.
Catch you later all.:rock:

kb9skw
02-24-2006, 11:14 PM
Chicago, meh. The real fun is 90 miles NW up here. :harhar:

yea right. Hay Strat you ever find that IO plate?

LAURENU2
02-25-2006, 12:23 PM
Chicago, meh. The real fun is 90 miles NW up here. :harhar:

yea right. Hay Strat you ever find that IO plate?
You must be in Milwaukee I remember a restaurant called the vault is it still up there ??
Back then that use to be a 35 Min drive from chicago Not any more

Stratcat
02-28-2006, 10:06 AM
Only thing I remember about Chicago is the plane landed nearly sideways which woke me up (or at least the trolley dollie poking me in the ribs did) and they had to drag me outa bed in the hotel to get on the next plane.
Seem to remember a view of a steel blue lake and some big brown buildings with white ones in between as we took off before I went to sleep again.
I know some good travellin drugs :D

Anyway, greets and a howl to Strat, just on my way out down country to visit the boys` newest pub.
Catch you later all.:rock:
WWWOOOOFFFFF!!!!

Man Shish, it's great to see you appear in good spirits. I hope those docs & nurses fixed you up & put you on the mend, well!

I hope you did retire, finally, but knowing you, retiring means only doing 19 things a day, rather than 20.

Anyway, anyone that flies thru the States, nearly always ends up going thru O'hare at one time or another. It's only 10 mins from my house. If you end up coming thru again, hit my email addy (here or at Ars) plenty in advance, as you possibely can, & I'll be more than happy to rescue from that glass & steel oblisk of harried humanity, to the quiet solitude of a nearby watering hole.

Can't guarantee they'll have a Stella, but we should at least find a Pilsner Urquell, at the least, or I may show you the light, by offering one of the good, stout, Pivo Polski's, served slightly below room temp, w/a dash of salt!

Take care,

Strat

ronbo54
02-28-2006, 10:38 AM
You must be in Milwaukee I remember a restaurant called the vault is it still up there ??

No, Nick (kb9skw) is in Rockford. A little to the Northwest of me

I'm out in one of the collar counties :cheers:

Stratcat
02-28-2006, 10:45 AM
[...]

PS 53 years here in Wicker Park ( near north side 5 Min to Downtown)Yes, I'm very familaiar w/Wicker Park, as my maternal side of the family was originally from Bucktown (1616 Wabansia, right across from Burr school), after my grandparents initial immigrated from Calabria (Extreme Southern tip of Italy).

My grandfather was then a precent captain working out of the Wicker Park Dem party office, then on Damen Ave. His co-captains were Roman Pucinski & Dan Rostenkowski, if you could bellieve it. This was in the 40's & 50's, when they were all just street precent captains/political job wannabes.

Whenever I took the O'hare line out from the loop, I'd often get off at the Damaen ave/north Ave Wicker park el stop for a quick & cheap meal at the Busy Bee. Such a shame it closed. I once was paying my bill at the register, and had earlier found a copy of Abbie Hofman's "Steal This Book", at the Printer's Row Book Fair. The Polish women who owned the place saw the book & said Abbie, & some of his fellow demonstrators, ate there during the '68 convention, & she claimed she had an autograph of his. Funny; She called them "real nice boys, & well behaved"! LOL wonder if it could have been some of the other "Chgo 7" she was talking about.

Oh, well, enough off-topic reminiscing & thread hijack!

Ohhh...one last item you may find interesting: One of the worst financial decisions my family ever made was convincing my grandparents to sell the 3 flat (w/x-tra rear bsmnt apt) in Bucktown, & my uncle's apartment building in Uktranian Village, during the early '70's, 'cuz the neighborhood was getting "too funky"!

They got around 55K for the bucktown bldg, then. Last year, I talked to the new owner who claims he paid 700K, around 5 years ago! Man, when the "gentrification/arts & loft crowd" hit Wicker Park/Bucktown during the early 90's, anyone that hung on thru the 70's & 80's cleaned up! No doubt about it!

Well, LAURENU2, thanks for the memories. I haven't thought about Wicker Park since the Bee closed. Actually, several years before that, since my maternal side of the family hasn't lived in the neighborhood since the 70's, & the only time I since ventured by, was to go to the Bee, or to see a FOAF who played jam & open mic sessions at the bar on the east side of Damen, several doors south of the North Ave/Milwaukee Ave intersection (forgot its name). Not sure if it's still there.

Strat (reminiscing)

Stratcat
02-28-2006, 10:54 AM

No, Nick (kb9skw) is in Rockford. A little to the Northwest of me

I'm out in one of the collar counties :cheers:LOL!

What have we got going on here? A cross-team cyber Chicago reunion/meet?

Yeah, KB9's location is plainly displayed under his nick, FWIW.

And yes, Milwaukee is now a far north Chicago suburb! :harhar:

</end hijack>

Strat

Shish
02-28-2006, 12:35 PM
Hey Strat how you doin?
As I said, I remember very little of Chi cos we used to mainly transfer at NY and the overnighter used to be spent in the bar across the street from the Hilton which we used to get to by taxi cos crossing was too dangerous :looney: :D
Anyway, unless the health improves, I`m limited to short flights only nowadays so a visit to either Portland, Or. to see the long lost family or to Miami to see some friends (lovely nurses in that hospital.... maybe TOO friendly :slap: :D ) or anywhere else outside of EU is not on just now. Puts a brake on most of the holiday destinations unfortunately. And, of course, I`m having another house built so funds are stretched a bit just now and the :wife: is taking whats left over if any :(
So, we celebrated the new pub opening ( called the Firefly for all you sci-fi buffs) and had a very profitable weekend (packed out Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon) which considering the £472k it cost is just as well :cheers:

Back on topic:
So what`s happening with DPad?
Was considering joining the fray but it looks like somethings borked and people ain`t too happy?

So WOOF to all, I`m sitting on the sidelines and waiting but I can swing a couple or three rigs over once I get the new SATAII Raid5s up and running and the database transferred. 1Tbyte+ of storage fits the bill just nice but takes a helluva long time to format :D