PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2

magnav0x
02-22-2006, 04:23 PM
Get it here!
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/ie7/ie7betaredirect.mspx

Tabbed browsing and RSS feeds come to IE among other nice features. IE 7 is what will be included with Vista. The new look and feel is excellent compared the old traditional stale Internet Explorer that we are so accustomed too. Memory footprint however is rather large...right now it's close to 50MB

the-mk
02-23-2006, 01:01 PM
Is it worth to download it? Especially for Firefox users?

What browser did you use until now?

How many tabs do you have in IE when it has about 50 MB of memory usage? Does it release memory when closing some tabs? (Firefox doesn't :cry: )

magnav0x
02-25-2006, 12:58 PM
I used Firefox, just for tabs and RSS feeds. Now I use IE7. No it doesn't release memory when you close tabs on IE either :( However I have IE7 open with 5 tabs right now and it's only using 22MB. I may of had some PDF's loaded in a couple of tabs when I posted it had a 50MB footprint. Seems like it's 11MB when it's first opened up with the single tab. If nothing else, it's cool to check out the changes, it definately is much more eye apealing now.

CaptainMooseInc
02-25-2006, 02:49 PM
Heya everyone.

I just read the stuff about memory usage and I decided to see what kind of memory IE7 has taken up on my computer since I first opened this window a little over an hour an a half ago.

Now, I've done a LOT of browsing in the past 1.5hrs, including a few .pdf files, but now I'm down to just one tab and below is a picture of my IE7's memory usage.

OUCH! Notice only 1 tab open!

magnav0x
02-25-2006, 04:16 PM
Yup, I've had mine open for a while with some flash apps going and mine is now hovering around 100mb. Apparently there is a memory leak or IE7 is refusing to release memory as it's finished using it. Guess that needs to be brought to their attention.

CaptainMooseInc
02-26-2006, 12:45 AM
yeah good luck with that one....no IE7 forums on MS yet to my findings

IronBits
02-26-2006, 12:55 AM
As I understand it, that is the design of a tabbed browser... it caches all pages visited during a session for all tabs. If you close it, it should release all of it. Firefox does the same thing...