PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Make Autoupdate an option at install

pointwood
06-24-2002, 04:43 AM
Another suggestion.

I'm not suggesting that the client should autoupdate as default. What I'm suggesting is that when you install the client the client should ask whether you would like it to autoupdate or not. You get that option in the screensaver, but not in the text client.

Why would that be nice? Because a lot of people don't read the readme file even though they should. And when they don't read it, they get mad when they find the client "stalled" and haven't done any work for the last 3 days.

In the same way, ask the user about some of the other options available. I think these would be nice:
* Increase the Buffer Size
* Disabling Network access
* Install as a service (Win NT/2000/XP)

This will not hurt privacy or security but will instead make the new users aware of the options that are available in the client and those frequently asked questions will become less frequently asked questions :p ;)

Brian the Fist
06-24-2002, 11:15 AM
Nice ideas but if you will recall, there IS no install for the client, it's just a dumb ZIP file. ;) OR perhaps you mean it should detect the first time it is run auto-magically? I could probably do that - like if your handle.txt is not there.
I will make a change to improve the auto-update y/N question though.

pointwood
06-24-2002, 12:24 PM
Yes, that was exactly what I was thinking about (or to be more exact, some HardOCP'ers was). When you start the client the first time, it asks for your handle.

Make it ask whether it should autoupdate and IMHO it would be a good idea if it also asked about the other options. Since you only have to do this once, it shouldn't matter whether there are 1 or 5 questions to be answered. I think it would actually be more nice - cut down on the mistakes people *will* make when they edit the foldit script.

MAD-ness
06-24-2002, 07:12 PM
I have to agree. As this community grows from those who are hardcore techies and starts to draw in more "normal" computer users, anything that can help make the experience of installing and running the DF client easier is, in my mind, a "good thing."

Also, one of the most common problems reported here is the error that is obtained when faulty memory chips are in use. WOuld there be any way to include this (from the known bugs page) in the error log file?

You get the error: RLEUnPack failed, size=xxxxxx, should=400*400 please contact authors
Here xxxxxx is some number, close to 160000. This is caused by faulty memory chips. If you are overclocking your CPU/RAM, try setting back to normal speed. If the problem still does not go away, you have a faulty RAM chip. Try an extensive memory test or return your machine to your dealer (yes, I am serious).

Sort of a minor thing, but if you can add this once and avoid someone coming here once a month and asking about it, it might be worthwhile. In fact, I imagine that many many more users simply stop running the client when they get this message. Not your fault, they have bad hardware, but they probably aren't aware of that and typically other programs do not stress the memory the way that the foldtrajlite.exe app does.

pointwood
08-21-2002, 08:18 AM
Just wanted to ask if this was still on the todo list ;)

What I would like to see is a client (not the screensaver) that looks much like the screensaver install. When you install the screensaver, it gives you various configuration options. I would like a normal client where it was possible to configure the client when you installed it (instead of having to edit the foldit script or run /install etc. afterwards).

I'm only talking about Windows here, but Mac users would probably like it too.

Brian the Fist
08-21-2002, 08:48 AM
Try installing the client in a new directory and see what happens... :p

pointwood
08-21-2002, 09:09 AM
/me bangs head in the wall :bang:

Since no update had been posted here and I had not read it elsewhere, I simply assumed you had not added this :sleepy:

Thanks!

Carry on! :rotfl:

FoBoT
08-21-2002, 02:10 PM
:spray:

:rotfl:

;)

:D

Brian the Fist
08-21-2002, 09:08 PM
Just for the record, the RLEUnpack error telling you to test your RAM IS printed to the error.log now too (though hopefully you haven't found that out yet ;) )

pointwood
08-22-2002, 06:11 AM
Could the installer ask questions about service install too maybe?

Brian the Fist
08-22-2002, 08:53 AM
no, it couldnt

runestar
08-28-2002, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Brian the Fist
Nice ideas but if you will recall, there IS no install for the client, it's just a dumb ZIP file. ;) OR perhaps you mean it should detect the first time it is run auto-magically? I could probably do that - like if your handle.txt is not there.
I will make a change to improve the auto-update y/N question though.
How about a colored "pop-up" box for the ASCII client on the first install? The first question might be to take the default settings. If they hit "Y" or "y", then it would show them all the current settings and ask if this is okay with them. If they hit yes then that's it, if they hit No then they would be taken into the individual dialogs for each option.

If they choose to go through and customize the settings (or refused, so to speak, the default settings"

Have an instruction on top to just hit Enter to take the default setting or if they are not sure.

For the auto-update, how about we make the default to On? SUPPOSEDLY, they read up on the project before downloading the software. =) You could add a little note saying its recommend that you leave it ON and that if they forget to do it later manually, they may loose credits.

Assuming the majority of the people are on dial-up and not in possesion of their own internet backbone <if you are, please send an e-mail to Brian as he would be very interestested in having you host the DF project>, the option to upload to the servers might be set to No by default. You might make a note that once the buffer fills up, the DF client will turn off.

<Thinks> This could potentially be troublesome for the novice users... HOWEVER, for the novice user, you should have them use the screensaver which is a lot simpler to config. The ASCII client should only be used by those comfortable working with the command-line (which would be mainly the power users).
For the power-users, you could add an extra batch file that all it does is just upload the results and exits. I'm sure there are a few different variations possible on that line of thought.

For the buffering extra work results, the best way might be to simply ask how much free space they have on the drive DF is installed on...if its at the very least say 500MB, then you could ask if they want to buffer extra work, else it would be set to No if they just hit ENTER.

That's a few thoughts I have... actually, you might do a profile on the system in the beginning with the note that this data is NOT recorded. Based on what they enter, certain options such as extra memory could be set right off. =) (i.e. if they answered 72MB of memory, extra RAM usage would be set to off.) If they should decide to override the recommended settings, DF project will not be responsible for any problems they have. ;)

That's kind of a jumbled mess of thoughts, but I think you can figure out what I'm saying. Things I would suggest to profile using a series of pop-up boxes

CPU SPEED:
raw number entered (msg to say NOT to multiply the speeds in a dual-CPU system), the best idea would be three ranges:
- 1. At or above this speed, display a message your system meets the criteria for running the client and continue on
-2. Near the minimum speed, issue a caution that your system is near/at the minimum to run the client, but continue on.
-3. Below the minimum speed, issue a warning that it may not be plausible to run the client on their system. Ask if the individual still wishes to continue on.

MEMORY:
raw number entered (for MB), with a similar system to above with the following checks:

< 32MB, recommended they acquire more RAM. Short blurb of why more RAM is useful. Ask to sitll continue with setup?
> 32 and < 64, notify user they are at or near the minimum to run DF, more RAM is suggested to avoid an impact on the system. Continue on.
>64 and < 128, notify user they will not be able to take advantage of the extra RAM feature but no issues in this category for running DF
>= 128 to < 256, may or may not be able to utilize the extra RAM feature dependant on the operating system and programs loaded into memory. Extra RAM feature usage asked, default is No.
>=256, system is capable of utilizing the extra RAM feature, make note that performance will be dependant on the operating system and programs loaded into memory. Extra RAM feature usage asked, default is Yes.

HARD DISK SPACE:
Enter raw number in MB, user may enter 1024 if available space is in gigabytes (so no concerns about converting between GB and MB)
If 500 or less, recommend extra buffering be left off.
If > 500, recommend extra buffering be left on.
Note explaining that if they connect frequently to the Internet or have a permanent/broadband connection, buffering will usually have no impact, but if they lose their connection temporarily or the servers are down for an extended period of time... extra buffering will prevent DF from going idle once the main buffer is filled up.

INTERNET CONNECTION:
If Dial-Up selected, ask if they want to connect automatically to upload results (Note to see website for details on how to configure system for this). If they do not want to auto connect, they will be informed they will have to manually upload their results. They must connect now if they want to get work units.

Broadband selected, set to be On. Note saying recommended should not be changed to Off to ensure results are returned ASAP to the project.

I think that generally covers most of the things encountered... I'm sure someone will point if I missed something. This is just a general overview... it definitely could be refined more... =) but its a start. ;)

RS½
PBB