PDA

View Full Version : Question about the results.dat

Merlin45
03-05-2006, 10:06 PM
Does anyone edit their results.dat file to lower the file size?

I have several systems that have over 13meg dat files.

Does it hurt?

Does it help by optimizing the client?

Just a stupid question......

Also it takes forever to open Muon Cockpit with all them large dat files to read.

IronBits
03-05-2006, 10:32 PM
This FAQ from http://stephenbrooks.org/muon1/faq.php#utils probably doesn't help you much...
I have stopped the client and deleted the results.dat so it could start over before with no apparent ill effects...

The Results File

When does the client save its results?
At the end of each run of the simulation, when the time index has got to "t = 200.0ns" (300 or 500 ns for newer optimisations). If you quit the program you will lose the calculation for the incomplete run that it is currently processing.

Is it possible to damage the results file?
This is very unlikely unless you edit it manually. If you have manually merged two files for some reason, make sure there are no extra carriage-returns/blank lines inserted in the file.

How do I add comments to the results file?
Write something after the [v4.xx] indicator, after the line which says how many particles have been simulated. The remainder of this line is not read by the program, so you can put comments there. However you must not add extra lines to the file, as that could mess things up completely.

Sample Results Files

What? Sometimes I produce files called this. They contain a selection of results, including many of the best ones, from the current stage of the project. If you add them to your database, Muon1 will be able to use this information to produce better designs.

How do I use the sample file? Decompress it if necessary and either use it to replace your results.dat, or edit your results.dat in WordPad and append the new results (being careful not to merge lines). The latter option will mean Muon1 can use your old results as well as the downloaded ones, so is a better choice.

Why doesn't this file just contain the top 100 results?
The very best results at any one time in the project can be quite similar. It is better for the algorithm not to be swamped by repeats of the same good result, which can drown out other possibilities that still need to be explored.

jasong
03-09-2006, 04:29 PM
Is there a way to track the progress Muon file running in the background? Something I can click on to make sure it's running properly?

Merlin45
03-09-2006, 05:26 PM
Download this program, I use it to keep track of my farm..

Muon Cockpit from here

http://www.v8.franken.de/Muon/MC.htm

Its a very useful little program........

SHows what systems are running, and how much they have done, plus you can view the results. Dont know what for, but it shows you the data in the results file.
It also keep track of how much each one has done.......