PDA

View Full Version : We are losing ground

Pages : [1] 2

IronBits
03-07-2006, 10:39 AM
To XtremeSystems ...
Need to move a few boxen back to stop their steady climb.

PY 222
03-07-2006, 12:46 PM
I think I have boxes that have gone dead on me. I'll go check on the pharm when I get a chance today to make sure that BOINC is running on all of them.

IronBits
03-12-2006, 01:48 AM
They ramped up an additional ~60,000 per day since the beginning of the week...

Digital Parasite
03-13-2006, 02:58 PM
I'm giving er all she's got captain!! :beep:

LAURENU2
03-13-2006, 04:35 PM
I just put 16 nodes on Rosetta :hifi: And I should have another 4 to 6 nodes upgraded enough by weekend :umm: to add them as well:rock:

IronBits
03-13-2006, 06:47 PM
:banana:

Paladin*
03-13-2006, 07:12 PM
I switched a few back to Rosetta also, I can switch more if need be ... :smoking:

JustEmazing
03-13-2006, 07:57 PM
I need to check my unheard from Mac node, but in general, I don't have more than 2 or 3 that I can run Boinc on. It's too obvious...heh. I'll dig around and see what I can come up with.

DocWardo
03-14-2006, 10:38 PM
How many dead boxen did you have PY??????

That's one hell of a leap in your piece of the pie today ;)

LAURENU2
03-15-2006, 12:39 AM
Might be long WU;s I have some that have been running for 50 Hrs and are only at 1.00% And it says it has 66 Hrs to compleation:swear:

3/14/2006 11:14:30 PM|| 2068 double precision MIPS (Whetstone) per CPU
3/14/2006 11:14:30 PM|| 7050 integer MIPS (Dhrystone) per CPU
3/14/2006 11:14:30 PM||Finished CPU benchmarks
3/14/2006 11:14:31 PM||Resuming computation
3/14/2006 11:14:31 PM||Rescheduling CPU: Resuming computation
3/14/2006 11:14:31 PM||Resuming network activity
3/14/2006 11:14:31 PM|rosetta@home|Resuming result FA_RLXa3_hom006_1a32__359_50_0 using rosetta version 482

PY 222
03-15-2006, 01:18 AM
How many dead boxen did you have PY??????

That's one hell of a leap in your piece of the pie today ;)

Thanks Doc.

I think my numbers will be alot lower these coming days as there are a few network re-org that my team will need to do. So we will need to shutdown boxes and change IPs.

But rest assured, I will try to keep as many as I can.

Paladin*
03-15-2006, 06:24 AM
Might be long WU;s I have some that have been running for 50 Hrs and are only at 1.00% And it says it has 66 Hrs to compleation:swear:

:eek: I've never seen any that long Lauen2, 8-10 hours at the most. What do you have your Target CPU Run Time set to in your Preferences ... ???

You may have it set to run 4 days, I set mine to 2 hours for the Rosetta Project & 8 at the Ralph Project because right now theres not much work being released at Ralph. I'm lucky to pick up 1 WU every 2 or 3 day's ...

DocWardo
03-15-2006, 07:28 AM
mine is set to 8 hrs. for rosetta. I was away last week and had a couple of computers get stuck on 1% for 50 hours. I remoted in and aborted.

LAURENU2
03-15-2006, 09:48 AM
:eek: I've never seen any that long Lauen2, 8-10 hours at the most. What do you have your Target CPU Run Time set to in your Preferences ... ???

You may have it set to run 4 days, I set mine to 2 hours for the Rosetta Project & 8 at the Ralph Project because right now theres not much work being released at Ralph. I'm lucky to pick up 1 WU every 2 or 3 day's ...
Don't know all my other nodes run and finnish at 2.5 hrs That one is still at 1% now at 56 HRS and time to compleat is 68 Hrs
I would go to the Rose forum to ask about it but last time I did I was made out the be a fool by the staff there:swear: and I am still upset about it

IronBits
03-15-2006, 09:54 AM
Just abort it and move along ;)

Paladin*
03-15-2006, 10:07 AM

What Ironbits said is the best thing to do ... :smoking:

Thats why I have mine set to 2 Hours, if the WU goes past 2 1/2 hours to 3 hours I just abort them.

I'm not going to waste a Ton of CPU Time on WU's that are never going to finish in the first place ...

LAURENU2
03-15-2006, 03:45 PM
Yes I did just after my last post. But now after comming back from the feildwork I checked the 18 nodes running rosetta and found 6 more nodes stuck on 1.00% some for 114 Hrs What a wast of time and money
This getting stuck on 1.00% problem was around back last year and They still have not fixed it That Is Sad The staff there needs to address this and get to WORK ON A FIX

Bok
03-15-2006, 03:54 PM
Apparently they are still working hard on this, they even have microsoft helping them - of course, they most likely will fix it and introduce 20 other bugs, and then make us pay for maintenance to fix those :rotfl:

Bok

em99010pepe
03-15-2006, 04:19 PM
Apparently they are still working hard on this, they even have microsoft helping them - of course, they most likely will fix it and introduce 20 other bugs, and then make us pay for maintenance to fix those :rotfl:

Bok

And we will have on Microsoft Internet Explorer a link to Rosetta Update!!!

Angus
03-16-2006, 11:00 PM
Yes I did just after my last post. But now after comming back from the feildwork I checked the 18 nodes running rosetta and found 6 more nodes stuck on 1.00% some for 114 Hrs What a wast of time and money
This getting stuck on 1.00% problem was around back last year and They still have not fixed it That Is Sad The staff there needs to address this and get to WORK ON A FIX

Not much luck yet there.

They have a suggestion - shorten your work time as much as possible. I think the minimum is an hour now.

This FAQ (http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/forum_thread.php?id=669#10375)

After you change the setting, you should be able to force an Update, and the work you have in your queue should now run only for as long as your setting. Supposedly you won't have to abort or reset.

LAURENU2
03-16-2006, 11:50 PM
Not much luck yet there.

They have a suggestion - shorten your work time as much as possible. I think the minimum is an hour now.

This FAQ (http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/forum_thread.php?id=669#10375)

After you change the setting, you should be able to force an Update, and the work you have in your queue should now run only for as long as your setting. Supposedly you won't have to abort or reset.
It was not the time factor Just Bad WU's the same nodes that were stuck for 60 to 120 Hrs are now doing fine with the 2.5 Hr WU's
With Rosetta I will just have to baby sit the client and check in on the client every day:rock:

IronBits
03-17-2006, 12:22 AM
BoincView is your friend! :D

Angus
03-17-2006, 02:11 AM
It was not the time factor Just Bad WU's the same nodes that were stuck for 60 to 120 Hrs are now doing fine with the 2.5 Hr WU's
With Rosetta I will just have to baby sit the client and check in on the client every day:rock:

Those 1% failures really blow. I just found one - 8+ hours on a one hour crunch time setting. 97 straight WUs on that host, then one failure.

LAURENU2
03-17-2006, 10:07 AM
BoincView is your friend! :D
BoincView is not my friend! :rock: you are IB :cheers: BoincView is just a program
IB you need to get out more you stuck in frount of the key board way to much:lmao: :rotfl:

IronBits
03-17-2006, 11:57 PM
:hifi: For over 20 years now :looney:
:cheers:

Digital Parasite
03-18-2006, 08:46 PM
Wow XtremeSystems really is going strong, they are almost doing 2x our dailies... :(

Angus
03-18-2006, 10:51 PM
Wow XtremeSystems really is going strong, they are almost doing 2x our dailies... :(

I hope their CPU coolers melt.:banana:

I suggest we get a move on - soon! They'll be burying the DPC in a couple of days, and then we'll be the big target.

IronBits
03-19-2006, 01:06 AM
I've been having problems getting work from Rosetta lately.
I have one dual core boxen only working at 50% on the last wu it has.
I keep requesting new work, but it says I've requested work to soon and won't give me any more. :bang:

DragonOrta
03-19-2006, 03:52 AM
The main reason we're going so hard is because DPC is getting ready for a stampede starting the first, and we want them to have to chase us down for April, not the other way around. They've down a bit of trash talk on XS, and it's gotten a few us fired up. :rock:

Digital Parasite
03-19-2006, 06:37 AM
They've down a bit of trash talk on XS, and it's gotten a few us fired up. :rock:

Any reason to BBQ some DPC is a good one. :cheers: Good luck with that. Just don't mow them over too far... :D

em99010pepe
03-19-2006, 11:50 AM
I have a doubt.
I have bandwidth limit of 4GB per month and I want to run Rosetta. My question is should I set up the target CPU run time to 10 or 12 hours? Seems to me that the wu's are too large in size (MB). I'm looking for a compromise...
For me the best target CPU run time would be 4 days but I don't know if I should try it.

Carlos

EDIT: Rosetta Free-DC Mercenaries account created.

IronBits
03-19-2006, 02:06 PM
I reset the project on the computer and now it's all better :)

I've been having problems getting work from Rosetta lately.
I have one dual core boxen only working at 50% on the last wu it has.
I keep requesting new work, but it says I've requested work to soon and won't give me any more. :bang:

Digital Parasite
03-20-2006, 11:26 AM
Looks like they are finding and fixing a lot of the error and hang bugs in the 4.93 and 4.94 RALPH test clients. You can see some of the progress here:
http://www.romwnet.org/dasblogce/PermaLink,guid,c0601e17-818d-4399-aead-62bda49bceaf.aspx

Digital Parasite
03-20-2006, 11:29 AM
My question is should I set up the target CPU run time to 10 or 12 hours? Seems to me that the wu's are too large in size (MB). I'm looking for a compromise... For me the best target CPU run time would be 4 days but I don't know if I should try it.

The longer your CPU run time, the less files it needs to download so the more bandwidth you would save. If you tell BOINC to cache 4 days of work and your CPU run-time is 4 days as well, it should just download 1 WU to work on and generate structures for that WU for the entire 4 days. That will definitely reduce the bandwidth the client uses.

At first it may download more WUs until the WU completion estimates figure out you are working on 4 day ones. You can always give it a try and see how well it works for you.

DocWardo
03-20-2006, 02:27 PM
Borged another box today. only a P4 1.7Ghz. but it's still more power.

Still have a Sempron that I have to get in a case and powered up. Hopefully I can grab some parts in the next day or two and get it up and running.

Anyone have experiance with this new truxoft calibrating client? I went to get an optimized client for the new install and noted that there was this new calibrating client.

any feedback on that? I just want to make sure I have things configured optimally.

em99010pepe
03-20-2006, 03:05 PM
Digital Parasite,

Thanks. I'm going to see how much bandwidth I spend this week with the target CPU run set up to 2 hours. Then I will increase it every week or so.
I also added my work machine.

Carlos

Chuck
03-20-2006, 05:51 PM
I've been (like IB) stuck in front of the keyboard for over 20 years.

If one were to be more precise, it is coming up on 27 years now.

Does this make me a dinosaur or a true Geek?

LOL

PS: More boxen moved over. RAC increasing nicely on this end. Please check today's/tonight's stats when they finish the daily update. I think I calculated the correct percentage for our response to activity. As stated earlier, more boxen in reserve as well as over-clocking capability. :)

PPS: Should the need arise (just to add insult to the eventual DPC and XS defeat), I have a K6-2 500 which runs quite well and at 100% load (non-OC) it is 25C... It will OC nicely. Borg'ing the boxen is fun.

C.

Digital Parasite
03-21-2006, 11:40 AM
Anyone have experiance with this new truxoft calibrating client? I went to get an optimized client for the new install and noted that there was this new calibrating client.

Interesting, I never noticed his new type of client. It seems like he is trying to provide an "optimized" client that is more "fair" than just super-optimized. But it also seems it was made for Seti@Home so no idea how it would affect the results of Rosetta.

Maybe you should be the first to jump in and see how your credits go up or down running his new version... :thumbs:

willebenn
03-21-2006, 04:42 PM
Yikes, last stats run show Free-DC at third place in the dailies :eek: :eek:
Still a good margin in overall total.
Message on the Rosetta forum says they want to grow the project Bigtime and are asking for help from anyone, check it out. Under the Rosetta->Science section from D. Baker.
Also seems the DPC have an install CD they made to ease new members into the project. Good for the project, maybe not so good for our lead.

DocWardo
03-21-2006, 06:06 PM
Interesting, I never noticed his new type of client. It seems like he is trying to provide an "optimized" client that is more "fair" than just super-optimized. But it also seems it was made for Seti@Home so no idea how it would affect the results of Rosetta.

Maybe you should be the first to jump in and see how your credits go up or down running his new version... :thumbs:

okay which client is everyone else running on winxp. now is not the time to experiment. Later I can install a couple of clients on identical machines and see how it works.

Chuck
03-21-2006, 07:33 PM
I have a client which produces 50+ credits for 2 hrs of CPU.
It is the 5.2.13 client for AMDs. It is, what I am told, the correct
windows client.

FYI.. the 2hr vs 4 hr setting in RAH preferences has major impact
(which we all know), **BUT** I had a WU today that was set to run
for 4+ hours (this is in the RAH FAQ that RAH WU's make 1 run minimum
and sometimes that does take 4 - 6 - 8 hours)... some of our WU's are
large ones... The one I had *LOOKED* to be hung at 1.00%, but was not.
It did process normally. I got bigtime credit for it too.

This, of course, will make the RAC and our instantaneous daily look bad.

May I suggest we wait until official end-of-day before seeing what the
scoop is ?

C.

/*edit*/ I will email the AMD 5.2.13 client to team members upon request
with proper authentication /*end edit */

willebenn
03-22-2006, 07:45 AM
Ok, here are some daily END OF DAY numbers
Yesterday XS 193k, DPC 129k, FDC 122k
2 days ago XS 203k, DPC 137k, FDC 123k
Of course if you wait, maybe they will change. :D

em99010pepe
03-22-2006, 04:28 PM
Ok, here are some daily END OF DAY numbers
Yesterday XS 193k, DPC 129k, FDC 122k
2 days ago XS 203k, DPC 137k, FDC 123k
Of course if you wait, maybe they will change. :D

We need to double our output:scratch: .

Carlos

LAURENU2
03-22-2006, 06:33 PM
We need to double our output:scratch: .

Carlos
The good part is we 4 months to do it:lmao: . That should be enough time to :umm: conquerer the world:Pokes:

David Baker
03-24-2006, 01:40 AM
Don't know all my other nodes run and finnish at 2.5 hrs That one is still at 1% now at 56 HRS and time to compleat is 68 Hrs
I would go to the Rose forum to ask about it but last time I did I was made out the be a fool by the staff there:swear: and I am still upset about it

Sorry about this!! All of us really appreciate all of your contributions!

I wanted to ask all of you what you would favor for the maximum cpu time setting in rosetta@home. the advantage of having it lower is that jobs can't get "stuck" for longer than this time, the disadvantage is that you can't set your work unit lengths to be than longer than this time. we are currently thinking about reducing it to 24 hours.

I hope we will have the stalling out problems fixed within the week; we have resolved essentially all of the other problems on the RALPH test server and will be moving the solultions over to Rosetta in the next several days.

Thanks again for all of your help with the project! We still are incredibly CPU power limited for tackling the harder prediction problems presented by larger proteins.

IronBits
03-24-2006, 02:14 AM
what you would favor for the maximum cpu time setting in rosetta@home Double edged sword eh? ;)

2-4 hours max per work unit on a fast computer would be fine, however, the amount of work we can queue up should also be flexible.
If it's an older/slower computer, then it needs to be longer like 6-8 hours... how you balance that out, I haven't a clue.

For the sake of conversation and to explain what I mean...

Being able to queue up 2 days worth of work, based on the processing power this one computer could chew thru, is crucial so that if there is a server outage, or my own network were to go down, I would have enough work to keep that computer busy.
And, if a work unit takes longer than 2-4 hours, then it should abort it and start the next work unit. (assuming it's based on that computers average processing time)

So the way I see it, two configurable fields need to be setup,
1) length of time to allow a work unit to be completed, based on processor speed and 'protein size' and the given time it would take to process it...
2) length of time to cache work units so I don't run out of work.

I have two computers now straining to get work, even tho I have a 2 day queue setup, they sometimes can't get enough work to stay busy and sit idle.
When I see they are not working, I force a request to get more.
I then see an error message saying RPC request was to soon, waiting xx amount of time before trying again.
I check back a couple hours later and see that it managed to get just one work unit per processor (dual core computer), so I force another update to get my 2 day queue built back up and I get the above error message.

If you have larger work units that take longer, so-be-it, let em rip! :D
Based on the size of the wu, the time it takes to work thru them needs to be adjusted, as do the points one gets credit for completing it. :)
I personally don't care if it takes 24hrs to pound thru each one.
Some folks need there stats, ;) so a 'trickle' report of how much work they have done the last 1-2 hours would help us to keep an eye on how well they are performing at any one given time frame.

Glad you guys are getting the bugs worked out and the processing streamlined. :thumbs:

LAURENU2
03-24-2006, 02:53 AM
Sorry about this!! All of us really appreciate all of your contributions!

I wanted to ask all of you what you would favor for the maximum cpu time setting in rosetta@home. the advantage of having it lower is that jobs can't get "stuck" for longer than this time, the disadvantage is that you can't set your work unit lengths to be than longer than this time. we are currently thinking about reducing it to 24 hours.

I hope we will have the stalling out problems fixed within the week; we have resolved essentially all of the other problems on the RALPH test server and will be moving the solultions over to Rosetta in the next several days.

Thanks again for all of your help with the project! We still are incredibly CPU power limited for tackling the harder prediction problems presented by larger proteins.
Yes as you stated in your forum a AUTO abort/Finnish at 24 hrs would be fine and to have it send back data to you so you can figure out what went wrong is a good Idea. It would free us from having to check up on the client as much
I have noticed fewer 1% stalls as of late but I have seen a couple that did at 6% and 21% clock was ticking but no movement

em99010pepe
03-24-2006, 03:32 AM
My only complain is the wu size in terms of MB. If you could reduce it by 50% I would be very happy. I live in the third world where my bandwidth is limited to 4GB per month.

Carlos

David Baker
03-24-2006, 10:31 AM
Double edged sword eh? ;)

2-4 hours max per work unit on a fast computer would be fine, however, the amount of work we can queue up should also be flexible.
If it's an older/slower computer, then it needs to be longer like 6-8 hours... how you balance that out, I haven't a clue.

For the sake of conversation and to explain what I mean...

Being able to queue up 2 days worth of work, based on the processing power this one computer could chew thru, is crucial so that if there is a server outage, or my own network were to go down, I would have enough work to keep that computer busy.
And, if a work unit takes longer than 2-4 hours, then it should abort it and start the next work unit. (assuming it's based on that computers average processing time)

So the way I see it, two configurable fields need to be setup,
1) length of time to allow a work unit to be completed, based on processor speed and 'protein size' and the given time it would take to process it...
2) length of time to cache work units so I don't run out of work.

I have two computers now straining to get work, even tho I have a 2 day queue setup, they sometimes can't get enough work to stay busy and sit idle.
When I see they are not working, I force a request to get more.
I then see an error message saying RPC request was to soon, waiting xx amount of time before trying again.
I check back a couple hours later and see that it managed to get just one work unit per processor (dual core computer), so I force another update to get my 2 day queue built back up and I get the above error message.

If you have larger work units that take longer, so-be-it, let em rip! :D
Based on the size of the wu, the time it takes to work thru them needs to be adjusted, as do the points one gets credit for completing it. :)
I personally don't care if it takes 24hrs to pound thru each one.
Some folks need there stats, ;) so a 'trickle' report of how much work they have done the last 1-2 hours would help us to keep an eye on how well they are performing at any one given time frame.

Glad you guys are getting the bugs worked out and the processing streamlined. :thumbs:

What is currently limiting the number of work units you can queue up? Are there settings we can change that would allow you to queue up more?

IronBits
03-24-2006, 11:01 AM
Just came back from your website and made some changes, let's see how this works out.

Target CPU run time (default) --- changed to 24hrs
(not selected defaults to 2 hours)

On multiprocessors, use at most (2 processors)
More options needed here...
If I set the client to use 1 processor, and I install the client on a computer with more than one physical processor:
A) Stick to one proc, not shared with the other processor(s).
B) Use (2)(3)(4) processors on one client/work unit for faster processing ;)
C) Use one processor per client

Then the other option which is good
Connect to network about every - 2 days (this is my default, but some of my dual processor computers are struggling to get work)
(determines size of work cache; maximum 10 days)
but, an option to let the client upload 'trickle' progress every (1)(2)(4) hours so we can make sure the clients are working via the stats servers would be really nice.
Using this 'every 2 days' setting for cache, we have completed work results being stored on the computer(s), if it were to crash, we lose all the work.
It would be nice to submit completed work as soon as it finishes (another option perhaps?)

Thanks!

David Baker
03-24-2006, 11:07 AM
Just came back from your website and made some changes, let's see how this works out.

Target CPU run time (default) --- changed to 24hrs
(not selected defaults to 2 hours)

On multiprocessors, use at most (2 processors)
More options needed here...
If I set the client to use 1 processor, and I install the client on a computer with more than one physical processor:
A) Stick to one proc, not shared with the other processor(s).
B) Use (2)(3)(4) processors on one client/work unit for faster processing ;)
C) Use one processor per client

Then the other option which is good
Connect to network about every - 2 days (this is my default, but some of my dual processor computers are struggling to get work)
(determines size of work cache; maximum 10 days)
but, an option to let the client upload 'trickle' progress every (1)(2)(4) hours so we can make sure the clients are working via the stats servers would be really nice.
In this 'every 2 days', we have completed work being stored on the computer(s), if it were to crash, we lose all the work.
It would be nice to submit completed work as soon as it finishes (another option perhaps?)

Thanks!

sounds good except for the 24 hour wu, until we find the problem you run a higher risk of getting stuck with longer WU. our Boinc consultant Rom recommends people stock up with lots of short WU. with new version on ralph, all work completed is returned in case of premature exits.

Angus
03-25-2006, 03:10 PM
Some of the issues that IronBits mentioned are BOINC issues, not project issues.

Returning work when done was the normal behavior of the BOINC software originally. The SETI folks (in most cases, SETI and BOINC are interchangable labels when talking about BOINC software) thought that it was too much load on the servers to have all those connections happening, so changed it to only report work when the scheduler asked for more, even though the results might get uploaded immediately on an always-connected system. Not an issue if you run the short connection times ( like .1 days) but it makes it tough when your connection time is set to have a big cache.

This also generates the discussion about having separate settings for "connection interval" and "cache size". Dr. Anderson over at BOINC has steadfastly refused to do this. This would give the ability to have large caches of WUs to keep crunching during network outages, WU supply problems ( on other projects this is a big deal), server problems on the project side, and whatever else can prevent you from getting work, and sstill be able to make connectins to get new work and report results more often. The WU/per day quota also should be raised, so the cache can be filled quickly.

Some of the Trux optimized BOINC clients have re-instated the ability to "return results immediately", which I have been using. It smoothes out the RAC, and provides the ability to see on the project sites which machines have gone stupid, as well a providing more timely credit granting on projects that use the quorum system. I was just on a business trip, and could see that my Rosetta WUs had stopped being returned. The list of WUs looked full, and sure enough, there was a "stuck at 1%" WU happily using up CPU cycles going nowhere, and had 67 hours on the clock already.

I believe Trux has been experimenting with CPU affinity as well, but I haven't tried that yet.

LAURENU2
04-01-2006, 07:17 PM
Good News I think the 1% bug has faded a way I have Not seen a client stalled in about 2 days now:banana: :thumbs: :banana:
Now may be I can spend some time with My Wife :slap: or may be not:looney:

Go Team Go

DocWardo
04-01-2006, 07:37 PM
What a day ;)

jumped to 10th place and passed 500,000 points.
:banana: :cheers: :rock: :|party|:

willebenn
04-01-2006, 08:19 PM
That is a really nice number, 500k :thumbs: :clap:
The team needs more members with that kind of horsepower.
FDC has slipped into 4th place in the daily team totals :cry:

Chuck
04-01-2006, 08:30 PM
Regarding the 1.00% WUs.... same here... I have not seen any in a few days.

I did however have the benchmarks on the web site disagree with my actual benchmarks and I lost 2 days of full credit. I simply reran the benchmarks and am back to normal... climbing nicely again. Should be back up to normal RAC in another day. The loss of points cost us 3000-4000 points.

Everyone may want to take a quick look at the RAH site to verify their machine benchmarks match with reality.

C.

LAURENU2
04-01-2006, 08:56 PM
Regarding the 1.00% WUs.... same here... I have not seen any in a few days.

I did however have the benchmarks on the web site disagree with my actual benchmarks and I lost 2 days of full credit. I simply reran the benchmarks and am back to normal... climbing nicely again. Should be back up to normal RAC in another day. The loss of points cost us 3000-4000 points.

Everyone may want to take a quick look at the RAH site to verify their machine benchmarks match with reality.

C.:hifi:
My claimed credit is the same as granted credit But I did find 1 PC that had all Client errors today 55 of them I have to look into that:rock:

LAURENU2
04-01-2006, 08:58 PM
What a day ;)

jumped to 10th place and passed 500,000 points.
:banana: :cheers: :rock: :|party|:
Don't stop now
:banana: Go Doc Go:banana:

Chuck
04-02-2006, 12:05 AM
:hifi:
My claimed credit is the same as granted credit But I did find 1 PC that had all Client errors today 55 of them I have to look into that:rock:

Your claimed and granted credit will be the same... that is norm, but what I am referring to is when you look at all the WU's you processed, you will find the claimed and granted credit to be that of a 'stock' boinc client, not the AMD client most of us use. I, for example, get ~25 credits with stock boinc, but ~55 with the AMD optimized client. The AMD client also does a MUCH better job at managing my queue. It's estimation of completion time is almost 'dead on' the actual time to complete a WU.

I agree, you should check into those failed WU's... I've had a few, but only as the 1.00%'ers were disappearing.

C.

LAURENU2
04-02-2006, 04:17 AM
Your claimed and granted credit will be the same... that is norm, but what I am referring to is when you look at all the WU's you processed, you will find the claimed and granted credit to be that of a 'stock' boinc client, not the AMD client most of us use. I, for example, get ~25 credits with stock boinc, but ~55 with the AMD optimized client. The AMD client also does a MUCH better job at managing my queue. It's estimation of completion time is almost 'dead on' the actual time to complete a WU.

I agree, you should check into those failed WU's... I've had a few, but only as the 1.00%'ers were disappearing.

C.
Where would I find what my client is claiming I should get?
I looked at Rosetta in my account.:confused:
Is there a file on my PC that shows what the client thinks I should get?

Chuck
04-02-2006, 05:01 AM
Where would I find what my client is claiming I should get?
I looked at Rosetta in my account.:confused:
Is there a file on my PC that shows what the client thinks I should get?

Check your benchmark #'s as listed in the 'your computers' page. The one which describes the machine and gives the WU counter/link to the results pages.

For reference: a 2.4G Opteron gives about 3600 FP & 10000 INT / sec.
This scores out at about 55 pts / 2 hr RAH WU (I get ~25 if the benchmarks are wrong or stock boinc client). Ram speed (CL) and other typical machine parameters will vary your results. Let me know if you want to see the real data from my machine. A good indication you have bad benchmark data recorded is if you have the correct FPU but low INT performance. The reason for the AMD optimized client is to take max advantage of all 3 x86 decoders in the Athlon-family architecture. The stock boinc client will show results (if at ~2.4G) where both FPU and INT results are in the high 3000 range. Remember, the AMD Integer MIPS perf should LEAP to nearly tripple the FPU, with the FPU being about 1.5x the main clock....

So... 4.5:1 perf for int and 1.5:1 perf for fpu on athlon-64 machines, and XP cpus will be proportionally less as per the AMD specs unless you do major OC'ing.

The next best optimization is if boinc would distinguish between Intel and AMD and each project had clients optimized for each vendor. Both Intel and AMD would benefit from this greatly. We all would benefit... projects and contributors alike.

C.

/* edit: The .xml for each machine in the boinc directory contains the latest benchmark results. If the RAH server has bad data for a machine, check your .xml file and see if it matches. If they do, rerun the benchmark with ALL applications suspended... Run it multiple times before resuming. The last benchmark run will the one sent up to RAH with the next 'update' */

IronBits
04-02-2006, 10:51 AM
BoincView ;)

LAURENU2
04-03-2006, 12:59 AM
:rant:
YES We are losing ground :umm: It is SAD but true
And to make things even worse we have over 4 Hundred crunchers working to take our #1 title away from US
We Only have 45 working to to hold back 64 XtremeSystems Users
And 363 Dutch Power Cows Users that want our #1 title
:sniper: I have been doing my best to Ramp up output But it is NOT enough to stay the hungry hoards at our back door
So I:hiya: will make a plea :notworthy to ALL the Free-DC membership to through some power this way to help repulse this attack:fight:
I for one do not want to be behind the behind of DPC that methane :hair:
would kill me:fart:
If you do not wish this to happen please toss some power this way

:rant:

IronBits
04-03-2006, 01:37 AM
Bought a Quad (dual opty 265) to help out, should be online this Saturday :D
PY 222, get the lead out dude! :Pokes:
PCZ, come back with your big stick. :cry:
BOK, said he would be back by this week-end :thumbs:
Troops/boxen are arriving slowly preparing to do battle :clap:

PCZ
04-03-2006, 03:23 AM
Looking at how much we need to make up i don't think my contribution would amount to much.

We need lots more folks on this.

DragonOrta
04-03-2006, 03:55 AM
Don't worry, LAUREN, I don't think you'll have to worry about those silly cows. Their current high output will only last through the month. :jester: We'll see how their "stampede" fares against us taking their #2 spot (I'm pretty sure of the outcome of that one, but for their sake, I'll say lets wait and see :whistle:).

Hopefully we'll be outproducing them by the middle of the month, if things go according to plan. :weggy:

Then we might have real battle on our hands. :D :fight:

DocWardo
04-03-2006, 08:12 AM
Looking at how much we need to make up i don't think my contribution would amount to much.

We need lots more folks on this.

every little bit helps...

I only have 16 machines running. they are not dedicated machines either! with that I am churning out 9% of the team's daily output (so far for today).

just put one machine, or even part of a machine (if you are running other boinc projects) and it will help.

:umm: why wait for them to get close.

LAURENU2
04-03-2006, 09:49 AM
Don't worry, LAUREN, I don't think you'll have to worry about those silly cows. Their current high output will only last through the month. :jester: We'll see how their "stampede" fares against us taking their #2 spot (I'm pretty sure of the outcome of that one, but for their sake, I'll say lets wait and see :whistle:).

Hopefully we'll be outproducing them by the middle of the month, if things go according to plan. :weggy:

Then we might have real battle on our hands. :D :fight:

Well 10 days ago you wer excepted to overtake DPC in 6 days Now 10 days later XS is do to over take them in 12 days Seems like you need to take some I WANT IT BAD PILLS

LAURENU2
04-03-2006, 09:56 AM
PCZ Doc is right every little bit helps put a few on this
And we need more of the Free-DC members working this. Right now we only have 38% of the Rosetta roster putting out work Come on guys/gals luts turn up the heat

:banana: Go Team Go:banana:

DragonOrta
04-03-2006, 10:12 AM
Well 10 days ago you wer excepted to overtake DPC in 6 days Now 10 days later XS is do to over take them in 12 days Seems like you need to take some I WANT IT BAD PILLS

Hey, give us some credit here, DPC IS having their stampede at the moment. :p: It'll take us a few days probably to get some more stuff in the works, but we're not sitting by twidling our thumbs, don't worry. :D

Fozzie
04-03-2006, 01:33 PM
DPC are only stampeding for a month then the majority of them will disappear.

Their overtake is 75 days so they won't even get 1/3 of the way to us.

XPC could be more of a threat though.

I think those who crunch Rosetta should be far more aware of all the new FDC members who are crunching for us and welcome them aboard more, it might help retain more of them as we seem to have lost alot.

Just my 2 pence worth.

LAURENU2
04-03-2006, 01:57 PM
Hey, give us some credit here, DPC IS having their stampede at the moment. :p: It'll take us a few days probably to get some more stuff in the works, but we're not sitting by twiddling our thumbs, don't worry. :D
No Worry here just a Friendly Nudge:rock:
And I do give your team credit with only a 20 member more your doing over X2 our output:hifi:
And this is why I was trying to rally the team to buffer our lead against your team :sniper:
I know this team would jump in if the threat of your team was closer but I like to have a safety net:bouncy:

PCZ
04-03-2006, 03:45 PM
We do have other Projects to be No1 in as well :D
Having said that i will moor the fleet here till the 'threat' is over.

willebenn
04-03-2006, 04:20 PM
There may just be some truth to the old phrase:
Don't put off till tomorrow what can be done easily today
when it comes to keeping the cows back in the lower pasture. :D

Iron Bits
don''t forget to post some details on that dual dualie system in the hardware forum. It sounds very sweet. :thumbs:

Chuck
04-03-2006, 08:11 PM
With all due respect....

It is one thing to get the rest of the team going and even PUSH a few into helping out... But, having been raised on a dairy farm.......................

Candidly speaking, I believe we have more than enough to be #1, regardless of stampede's or not, if we manage our resources a tad bit better. I understand you wanting to get the rest, rightfully so, to engage in true team spirit.

PS: when cows get close... OMG do they stink. :) LOL

Bok
04-03-2006, 08:56 PM
Don't forget that this is supposed to be fun though. If we start dictating what people should run, we are no longer FREE-DC and become no better than some of the other nameless teams out there...

At least in my opinion.

Bok

IronBits
04-03-2006, 09:29 PM
Hear hear! :rock:

willebenn
04-03-2006, 09:31 PM
Yes, it is supposed to be fun.

LAURENU2
04-03-2006, 11:19 PM
Yes, it is supposed to be fun.

Now who made up that silly rule:|party|: :lmao:

Chuck
04-04-2006, 12:45 AM
I just got to look at the latest stats...

Welcome to the Free-DC'ers joining in the fun! :cheers:

Thanks and congrats are also due to the rest of the team who have
added to / move resources to keeping cows and other xxxxxxxx (sensored)
from the #1 spot! :banana: We gotta keep the FDC Pharm clean!!! :)

We also put another 11-12% onto our output for the day. Way to go!!!!!

C.

Xaverius
04-04-2006, 05:04 PM
Come on you guys. There's spirit and dedication enough in your team. Than why is it that your output is going down instead of going up...

That's what the picture below is telling me... If I see people running just 15 PC's or something like that... Man, that's not just. I only have one machine running at this moment :cow: I respect the people who run more than a few PC's for DC only :thumbs:

http://www.boincstats.com/stats/graph2.php?pr=rosetta&table=teams&id=5

The stampede is on the way!

LAURENU2
04-04-2006, 05:49 PM
Oh we just have spring fever you know that time of year when you hear mating calls:slap: and other things after romcumpour passes and the blood lust has faded:bang: it will be back to norm :banana: here:banana:

Shish
04-04-2006, 09:49 PM
Dunno about Spring Fever, but I`ve got Spring Cleaning just now in readiness for a new ASUS A8N-SLI/PREMIUM NF4 SLI , S939 1 £87.75.... plus 2 new sticks of Corsair 512Mb 4400 2.5 (very cheap in UK just now) and another Opteron 165 all arriving tomorrow before the price rise hits us from AMD. Would have gone for an S939 x2 4400 but they`re still near a £100 more so that`ll be here for the next one cos I`ll have some rebate to spend off the new phones. Need the higher multi cos the 165 hasn`t got a high enough one to avoid the memory running out of steam and the 170 is still way too pricey for my wallet. Hopefully I get a reasonable core and can still get around 2.6Ghz out of it.
Output back to normal or better after tomorrow for me, now to find some money to pay the winter bills :confused:

Chuck
04-04-2006, 09:57 PM
Seems DPC and everyone is seeing the waves in our stats.

That little stats ooppps seems to have disappeared for today... I saw it affect my stats yesterday, but my output is making up for it today.... Perhaps our timing of 'stats update' needs to be changed?

Can someone please check that out and see if an adjustment is in order as it relates to when the data is available from the RAH folks?

Tnx,
C.

Bok
04-04-2006, 10:00 PM
My scripts check for new data once per hour, if the timestamp remains the same they don't run...

Rosetta, along with a number of the other BOINC projects tend to shift around the times that they export the xml stats, so IMO this is still the best way to do it. I could check every 30mins, but that's probably overkill..

Bok

Chuck
04-04-2006, 10:06 PM
Bok,
Thanks for the update. I had a hunch it was project-related and that you had things well under control, but I was not certain given how many stats you seem to so effortlessly balance within the resources of the FDC server... I know you make it look easy. Huge thanks to you!!

Chuck

LAURENU2
04-05-2006, 01:23 AM
Well I received the 4 new M/B and I just bought 1.5 G of mem. Now I just need to go get 3 more HD and I should get 3 more XP2400 nodes online by this weekend. Then I will have to Cool it for a bit as I am way over budget with this upgrade :rock:

IronBits
04-05-2006, 02:25 AM
:clap: More crunch powa :smoking:

PCZ
04-05-2006, 03:35 AM
Then I will have to Cool it for a bit as I am way over budget with this upgrade

You and me both :rotfl:

Can't help it though i'm addicted to getting parcels :jester:

PS
Waiting at home for the postman as i write this.
2 new pentium 805 D's, couldn't resist as they are so cheap at the moment.

Might clock well and be the bargain of the century, or not, then they'll be lemons !!
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Intel_Pentium_4_Dual_Core.html

PPS
Ignore the bit about only working in 955x MB's.
That's what Intel want you to believe
They work in 865 and 915's

meep
04-05-2006, 03:48 AM
PCZ, can you keep us posted as to how these perform, and how they clock? I have noticed these seem to be getting very cheap atm and will prob dip in a get hold of a couple too.

Also which MB are you planning on using them with?

Chuck
04-05-2006, 03:55 AM
I am just as bad as you both, but with a twist.

Stepping quasi- Off Topic.....

I have both my new car (done) but still have the new Korg rack synth on my purchase list along with my HD's.

What does one do? Bluetooth, CD Changer, and other software options for the car (autolock @ 8 km/h, more dynamic rearview mirror sensitivity zones; remote start software for the PC to put the car on my PC lan [YES, on my BT lan]); The new Korg music rack to use as backup for my music; or HD's (plus a few new Opty dual & triple cores that on special) ???

Anyone care to help out with advice?

FWIW: I saved for a year to buy the car. Those of you who know me well, know I got yet another Volvo and did something unique... I got another Euro version (Belgian build) *and* was fortunate enough to avoid financing it.

Thoughts on how to keep my DC'ing safe growing path with all the 'other' new toys??? I need the Korg, I need some of the car software and I *definately* need the CPU power.... (I also do lots of math work).

Needless to say... I am WAY over budget already... almost 4 months worth!!! LOL

C.

Chuck
04-05-2006, 04:01 AM
PCZ,

If I could get my hands on some used, previous generation (130nm cpus), is it worth the boards & setup??? They are a mix of 2.4 G AMDs (and Athlon-XPs) and 3.06 Intels.

C.

PCZ
04-05-2006, 04:27 AM
Chuck

If you get hold off the CPU's cheaply then yes there is still life left in the previous generation of CPU's.

The majority of my farm is Athlon XP's and 478 P4's.
I wouldn't purchase any of the Chips new anymore but i do keep them running.

If one of my XP's burns out the MB then i replace it.
Unfortunately an all too regular occurence :)

You can get Socket A MB's dirt cheap, supply will dry up soon though.

Ordered some of these yesterday to keep the farm running
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?ASR-K7NF2R

Anyways enough of the thread hijacking

meep
I will start a new thread about the 805's

Bok
04-05-2006, 08:18 AM
You guys are killing me!!!

All this talk of parcels :) Ok I'm flying back home today from Florida, in Phoenix again next week but week after that I'm taking as vacation, so I'm going to order a dual opty 265 system to build. Can't have IB having the only one right !! Something to look forward to as well..

Bok :looney:

Chuck
04-05-2006, 10:38 AM
You guys are killing me!!!

... so I'm going to order a dual opty 265 system to build. Can't have IB having the only one right !! ...

Have no fear... He's not the first to have a dual dualie.. :rotfl:

C

LAURENU2
04-05-2006, 03:32 PM
Have no fear... He's not the first to have a dual dualie.. :rotfl:

C
Chuck :haddock: You should have waited til Bok placed the order for the new system:thumbs: Now he might back out:clap: Or not:rock:

Chuck
04-05-2006, 03:50 PM
Chuck :haddock: You should have waited til Bok placed the order for the new system:thumbs: Now he might back out:clap: Or not:rock:

He won't back out.... he's too obsessed, like the rest of us...

PLUS, I'm sure he's dying to find out what a dual dualie can do. :)

Chuck
04-05-2006, 03:52 PM
Bok,
Just order 1 step above a 265 :) then you will be 'unique' again. :)

C.

(Chuck whispers to Lauren: "See how this is done? It's easy!")

LAURENU2
04-05-2006, 04:10 PM
OUCH we are a 3rd place team in 50 days:cry:
:umm: Oh well win some lose some

PCZ
04-05-2006, 04:21 PM
No. not if we all get parcels everyay :rotfl:

Lauren
FDC's output will rise as the competition get closer.
Gets more fun then.

LAURENU2
04-05-2006, 05:56 PM
No. not if we all get parcels everyay :rotfl:

Lauren
FDC's output will rise as the competition get closer.
Gets more fun then.

haha :rotfl: I know I was just trying to make the COWS drule:bouncy:

Chuck
04-05-2006, 08:51 PM
.... Just got home from the store.... to heck with waiting for parcels!!!!!

I have absolutely NO intention to be 'behind' a cow again! Growing up was enough to last a lifetime!!! :D

Chuck
04-05-2006, 09:02 PM
Hmmm.... just checkin' the mid-day stats... I think I smell the grill startin' to warm up. Quite the familiar smell here in Texas. Keep it up gang 'cause there's nothin' like a Texas BBQ in springtime!!! :hifi:

Lauren, would you be kind enough to make sure we have enough tickets to sell? There's gonna be a LOT of people wanting burgers and steaks !! :rock:

C

Bullet2urBrain
04-06-2006, 12:32 PM
you guys will have to wait your turn. We over here at XS are going to BBQ us some cows first :D

Keep up the great work guys

Digital Parasite
04-06-2006, 04:36 PM
Those of you who know me well, know I got yet another Volvo and did something unique... I got another Euro version (Belgian build) *and* was fortunate enough to avoid financing it.

What Volvo did you get? I used to have an S60 but we had to trade it in for something with a bigger trunk.

em99010pepe
04-06-2006, 05:46 PM
I bike is better, what about a Ducati?

Carlos

Chuck
04-06-2006, 08:44 PM
:|ot|:

I hope your Ducatti is the good one..... The US versions are terrible. I have tried them. There is one in our parking lot at work. I do not like the center of gravity and certainly am NOT impressed with performance. It is not deserving of the Ducatti name.

The Volvos I have are 1983 240GL diesel -> gas convert; 1993 Original Euro (black dashcap) production 850 GTAS with adjustments to meet US specs; and now my 2001 XC-70. It is also a Euro-conversion with hydraulic sequential gearbox (mega sweet). It will outrun the other XC-70's here and even most of the XC-90 (truck like). The only Volvo that can outrun me is the S60R (310 bhp). I have 290 bhp / 295 ftlbs torque. US versions are 261 bhp.

---- Returning to topic -----

:cheers: to all for the steady increase in output. We do however have 45 days remaining to prove ourselves.

To our friends at XS and DPC: All in the spirit of good fun you know!

I'm going to throw more charcoal on my grill pit... want to get that fire good and hot!!! (Yes team-XS, I will help you do the cookin' afterwards!!! ) :)

C.

LAURENU2
04-07-2006, 12:55 AM
:|ot|:

:cheers: to all for the steady increase in output. We do however have 45 days remaining to prove ourselves.

C.
OK got my last 3 slots filled I now have 42 nodes upgraded with ram HD and OS all working Rosetta

I might be able to do 2 to 4 more in a week or so but for now I am at full speed

I put a Amp meter on the supply to the garage and it is pulling 79 amps OUCH With #10 wire I think I am over the limit for it

Chuck
04-07-2006, 01:06 AM
I put a Amp meter on the supply to the garage and it is pulling 79 amps OUCH With #10 wire I think I am over the limit for it

#10 wire is ok. question is, do you have the main (200 Amp I assume) balanced? Given normal breaker panel layout, I am near certain that you have a load balance problem (which will drive your meter crazy and $$$ billed). CCan you put in another run on the other leg of the input feed? This will prevent things like the dryer, etc from popping the main.....OR... do you already have a 100 amp, 220v split feed already for each 110v leg?

C

LAURENU2
04-07-2006, 01:57 AM
I have 220 on the #10 4 wires 2 Ground 2 110 that supply a 4X 20 amp breakers to supply the computers And I have a 220 15 amp circuit just for lights and opener

My main is still only 100 A I had it in on the plans for the roof top computer room to up it to 200 A but the city denied my permit last summer Because of the landmark status of my building :swear:

Chuck
04-07-2006, 02:36 AM
I have 220 on the #10 4 wires 2 Ground 2 110 that supply a 4X 20 amp breakers to supply the computers And I have a 220 15 amp circuit just for lights and opener

My main is still only 100 A I had it in on the plans for the roof top computer room to up it to 200 A but the city denied my permit last summer Because of the landmark status of my building :swear:

Given the landmark status, there is an alternative, given you have already been required to put in 220 VAC current 'code' wiring for the computers. You have already established a precident for requesting the second feed be underground. This will not impact the 'landmark' appearance/status of the building, but allow all internal wiring to be 'up to code'. I think requesting a total of 200A service is the best you can hope for. It will satisfy them by maintaining the 100A original main, and a hidden 100A for the 'extras' :D

This has worked in Pa and New Hampshire where landmark status (appearance) needed to be maintained. The main reason for the power upgrades was efficiency as most of us were switching from electric heat to heat pumps. Typical local code requires upgrades to 'current' minimums if anything is changed, but will let existing wiring remain untouched for decades.

Does this give food for thought ???? :)

C.

LAURENU2
04-07-2006, 02:58 AM
Does this give food for thought
YA sell this place and buy a bigger place:slap: :cheers:

IronBits
04-07-2006, 03:17 AM
:shocked: Thanks for all the hard work to get that many cranking! :thumbs:
:notworthy

Chuck
04-07-2006, 04:09 AM
Lauren,
Yes, MAJOR thanks are due :cheers: for all the hard work and investment in updating your machines as well as everyone else putting silent 'pedal to the metal' to get the job done.

Instead of selling your place, How about a windmill power generator?? There's plenty of faux and natural wind coming from Chicago.... true? (My brother in law lives up in the burbs north of the city.)

C.

LAURENU2
04-07-2006, 09:32 AM
Instead of selling your place, How about a windmill power generator?? There's plenty of faux and natural wind coming from Chicago.... true?
The only natural wind coming from Chicago is from the elected officials trying to raise or taxes :swear:

em99010pepe
04-07-2006, 03:39 PM
DPC will overtake us in 37.89 days. :umm:

Carlos

Shish
04-07-2006, 03:45 PM
OK, I got the Asus A8 Premium running.....managed to bend some cpu pins cos the gunk on the heatsink had a better hold on the cpu than the socket did and the heatsink pulled the cpu outa the socket when I took it off t`other board.

Nice board this, once I figure out all the extra settings :umm: ....Opti 165 now running at 2530Mhz@default v. with mucho headroom to go once I sort out extra memory timings and the setup page for the cpu/dram. :blush:

Watchout Cows...more power to come :D

LAURENU2
04-07-2006, 06:14 PM
DPC will overtake us in 37.89 days. :umm:

Carlos
Ya I can almost smell the Cow S*** already:fart:

LAURENU2
04-10-2006, 11:36 AM
OK picked up 2 more HD's and I put 1 more node online last night with the help of IB:thumbs: in Rose But it is not enough The count down is not at 34 days till we are over run :cry: I will go out and buy 4 more setups and try to get them online by this weekend:rock:

PS I for 1 will not let Free-DC with out a good fight

Bok
04-10-2006, 11:38 AM
I've switched all my dualcores back to Rosetta, though they are finishing up some QMC wu's first and will kick in tomorrow.. My older dual MP machine crapped out overnight, will no get a chance to take it apart till next week..

We need PY back :looney:

Bok

rshepard
04-10-2006, 12:05 PM
I've suspended new work requests on everything but Rosetta, hopefully in a day or two I'll get through the queued work and then be running Rosetta 24/7.

LAURENU2
04-10-2006, 05:18 PM
OK got the parts for 4 new nodes And I am programing one:banana: right now So it should start pumping point in a few hours :rock: I had to buy a new rack just to hold the 4:hiya: new nodes
:slap: My wife thinks I'm nuts staying up late to 2 to 3 am working on this network Filling up all the spare space:bang:
:umm: I keep telling here we all have to make sacrifices to achieve world domination:rock:

moddolicous
04-10-2006, 06:25 PM
The cow's stampede will stop at the end of april, so you wont have to worry about them in May. Us xtremesystems though, we're only getting faster!!

MerePeer
04-10-2006, 09:18 PM
Im down a node; mobo failed but RMA resulted in $ check which arrived today. Now, seeing how few socket A boards remain on market, Im thinking of just keeping that socket A Sempron on the spare part shelf and doing something different. Maybe a micro-itx for this mythtv box, but those VIA boards only sport 1G processors...
http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/nano_itx/epia_nl/index.jsp

LAURENU2
04-10-2006, 09:34 PM
The cow's stampede will stop at the end of april, so you wont have to worry about them in May. Us xtremesystems though, we're only getting faster!!
Well I guess I will just have to stay up til 4 am instead of 3 am just to keep up with you:rotfl: __>:slap:

Digital Parasite
04-11-2006, 04:15 PM
My wife thinks I'm nuts staying up late to 2 to 3 am working on this network Filling up all the spare space:bang:

Just tell her by staying up late you are going to be saving lives helping find the cure for diseases. :|party|:

All my boxes that can run Rosetta are going full-blast. I am finding one of my duallies locked up occasionally. I haven't found the problem yet, RAM seems to be fine, probably something in Windows. Hopefully it doesn't happen too often.

Helix_Von_Smelix
04-11-2006, 04:57 PM
i had that problem, turned out it was the PSU.

LAURENU2
04-11-2006, 09:53 PM
OK I have 3 more new nodes online:thumbs: crunching Rosetta The train is getting longer and I am moving up the Ladder
:train: :train: :train: :train::train: :train:

IronBits
04-11-2006, 10:41 PM
Nice additions! :)
Never gonna catch you :bang: , unless you go back to DPAD :jester:

LAURENU2
04-12-2006, 12:15 AM
Nice additions! :)
Never gonna catch you :bang: , unless you go back to DPAD :jester:
MMM Are you working this project IB? I don't seem to be abla to find your name on the stats page Or am I :looney:

IronBits
04-12-2006, 12:37 AM
elf is on your heels. :D
I just got to what your output was two days ago, before you added 4 more nodes. Guess I need another QUAD now. ;) :p
http://supercomputer.free-dc.org/index.php?command=manageboxen&UserID=2&projectID=-1

Chuck
04-12-2006, 01:25 AM
IB:

have you gone irrational quad-ratic on us??????? :D

C.

LAURENU2
04-12-2006, 02:38 AM
elf is on your heels. :D
I just got to what your output was two days ago, before you added 4 more nodes. Guess I need another QUAD now. ;) :p
http://supercomputer.free-dc.org/index.php?command=manageboxen&UserID=2&projectID=-1
Oh I get it now:thumbs:
Well I'm now out of parts again :cry: I guess I will have to start looking for more good deals on Ram CPU's and Hard drives I still have 2 more empty slots I can fill. But after that I am FULL No place to fill any more:swear:
So IB you should add 2 more Quads not 1:thumbs:
:scared: Poor PY is going to get :stomp: in about 2 weeks:rock:
:rotfl: PY is even on my Hit list in about 425 days :lmao:

IronBits
04-12-2006, 02:51 AM
IB:
have you gone irrational quad-ratic on us??????? :D
C. Maybe... ;)
If I can get someone to buy the 3 X2-3800s off my hands I would consider it. ;)
I'll just let everyone guess for now ... :looney:
Go Team Go!!! :banana:

Chuck
04-12-2006, 01:43 PM
Maybe... ;)
If I can get someone to buy the 3 X2-3800s off my hands I would consider it. ;)
I'll just let everyone guess for now ... :looney:
Go Team Go!!! :banana:

I think I need to revise that equation....

K = (nx^4+2y^4)/(3x^2)..... that's rational... not irrational... my bad. :D

C.

moddolicous
04-12-2006, 04:57 PM
Oh I get it now:thumbs:
Well I'm now out of parts again :cry: I guess I will have to start looking for more good deals on Ram CPU's and Hard drives I still have 2 more empty slots I can fill. But after that I am FULL No place to fill any more:swear:
So IB you should add 2 more Quads not 1:thumbs:
:scared: Poor PY is going to get :stomp: in about 2 weeks:rock:
:rotfl: PY is even on my Hit list in about 425 days :lmao:
You can send your new comps here LAURENU2. I'll run them for you:smoking:

LAURENU2
04-12-2006, 07:37 PM
The Semi is on it's way are you sure you have the power requirements to handle 500 PC's:looney:

PY 222
04-13-2006, 02:45 PM
The PY 222 Fleet Reporting for Duty.

Battle Stations people. :smoking:

Bok
04-13-2006, 02:47 PM
:woot: :rock:

Good to have you back PY!

Bok

PY 222
04-13-2006, 02:50 PM
:woot: :rock:

Good to have you back PY!

Bok

Thanks Bok. Glad to be back and having fun in DC again.

I'll kick up the Rosetta clients again on the pharm and see what it gets.

IronBits
04-13-2006, 08:12 PM
Just in time to! :clap:

PY 222
04-13-2006, 10:10 PM
Just fired up 80 boxen to begin with. I am just too lazy to turn the rest back on and go about making sure Boinc start right because alot of them are all messed up.

One thing that is strange is that a significant amount of the Boinc client don't do anything after I start them up. They just sit there... no updating benchmark, no crunching any Rosetta WU, not connecting to the Rosetta server, nothing, nada. It is strange, as though that the Boinc client refuse to work anymore. :Pokes:

So, I killed it and installed a new one and it is now happily chugging along.

LAURENU2
04-13-2006, 10:15 PM
The PY 222 Fleet Reporting for Duty.

Battle Stations people. :smoking:
Oh darn and I was so close to :stomp: Ing PY to, I only had 423 day to go:cry:

Glad to see your back PY

PY 222
04-13-2006, 10:18 PM
Oh darn and I was so close to :stomp: Ing PY to, I only had 423 day to go:cry:

Glad to see your back PY

Oh I am sure you'll get me... eventually.

But right now... I love my view from up here. :allhail:

moddolicous
04-14-2006, 12:02 AM
The Semi is on it's way are you sure you have the power requirements to handle 500 PC's:looney:
Hmmm, 500 pc's?? Thats it lol. You really ramped up production in rosetta lately.

Just fired up 80 boxen to begin with. I am just too lazy to turn the rest back on and go about making sure Boinc start right because alot of them are all messed up.

One thing that is strange is that a significant amount of the Boinc client don't do anything after I start them up. They just sit there... no updating benchmark, no crunching any Rosetta WU, not connecting to the Rosetta server, nothing, nada. It is strange, as though that the Boinc client refuse to work anymore. :Pokes:

So, I killed it and installed a new one and it is now happily chugging along.
Glad to hear your back, so hopefully we can convince more people at our forum to contribute. Do you monitor your comps in any way, or do you just start them and let them run? Real question is can you catch back up to DDTUNG's output?

PY 222
04-14-2006, 12:32 AM
Glad to hear your back, so hopefully we can convince more people at our forum to contribute. Do you monitor your comps in any way, or do you just start them and let them run? Real question is can you catch back up to DDTUNG's output?

Thanks mod for the welcome. I do agree that we need to concentrate more CPU power on R@H because I think its a worthwhile cause. But this is Free-DC and everyone are Free to do whatever project they wish. That's why this is the best Team out there.

As for your real question, well, you'll just have to wait and see now won't you. :banana:

LAURENU2
04-14-2006, 01:39 AM
Hmmm, 500 pc's?? Thats it lol. You really ramped up production in rosetta lately.
I would have doubled it but I am real short on space here

IronBits
04-14-2006, 03:06 AM
When ya gonna get some Dimes clients on them boxen Laurenu2? ;)

I just purchased an old Dell GX1 SFF Pentium III 933MHz w/512mb of ram to build a smoothwall boxen.
My Dlink broadband Router is just dropping way to many packets now that I have ~75 Dimes clients going...

I'm all in on Rosetta over here. The Quad box is doing 4 Rosetta units at the same time now, and rock solid at 2.356 GHz.

LAURENU2
04-14-2006, 09:51 AM
When ya gonna get some Dimes clients on them boxen Laurenu2?
I have it on a lot of nodes here Just do not have it turned on
It sucks bandwith and the wife needs the bandwith to do her medical notes and my kids are always d/l music and chating.
And I have been pushing hard here in Rosetta

Is there a real need for me to run dimes?
I will if there is

IronBits
04-14-2006, 11:58 AM
j/k :jester:

Chuck
04-14-2006, 01:08 PM
Ok... let's divide and conquer....

You run Dimes,
I'll run Nickels.

:D

PY 222
04-14-2006, 02:50 PM
Ok... let's divide and conquer....

You run Dimes,
I'll run Nickels.

And I'll do Quarters.

LAURENU2
04-14-2006, 04:09 PM
And I'll do Quarters.
That is just like PY always grabing the bigger slice of the PIE:rotfl:

PY 222
04-14-2006, 04:27 PM
That is just like PY always grabing the bigger slice of the PIE:rotfl:

You've got that right.

You better be looking at my stats during the weekend as I hope to start hitting 20-30k a day from tomorrow onwards.

LAURENU2
04-14-2006, 04:40 PM
You've got that right.

You better be looking at my stats during the weekend as I hope to start hitting 20-30k a day from tomorrow onwards.
Ya Ya Ya I will believe it when I see it -->:jester:

You just wait til moddolicous gets the delivery of the Semi of 500 PC's and starts running for me Il :stomp: you bad:cheers:

Digital Parasite
04-15-2006, 01:57 PM
It sucks bandwith and the wife needs the bandwith to do her medical notes

Wow, that must be a lot of medical notes she is writing if she needs that much bandwidth... :scared:

I take it she is a doctor or something?

Chuck
04-15-2006, 05:52 PM
Probably digital dictation.... :haddock: :D

C

LAURENU2
04-15-2006, 06:43 PM
It is a citrix Remote desktop And because it is secure I think it sucks more data. If it loses communications all her notes are lost
:umm: When it comes to wifes it is better safe then in the dog house:slap:

Chuck
04-15-2006, 08:42 PM
When it comes to wifes it is better safe then in the dog house:slap:

100% Agreed on that one !!! :D

Shish
04-16-2006, 12:10 AM
ABSO BLOODY LOOTLY!!

Wives are great, they let you indulge in your foolish habits whilst they get on with the serious things in life. They also lie in wait for your last will and testament cos they know, being wise in nature`s way, that they will usually get the last laugh.
But threaten their important things, such as their routine or, more peril you, anything that affects their family or their kids, and you will surely die a long and lingering death if not a fast and very painful one. Only 2 options you see....no more is given.

LAURENU2
04-16-2006, 03:25 AM
Thank you PY222
With your Added power the days to over take counter has been on 31 days now for 2 days now:banana:
:hifi: :cheers: :hifi:

PY 222
04-16-2006, 03:47 AM
Thank you PY222
With your Added power the days to over take counter has been on 31 days now for 2 days now:banana:
:hifi: :cheers: :hifi:

Thanks Lauren,

I'll try to keep em coming to hold off those Cows and the XS group.

Lets bring more firepower to this game.

Bullet2urBrain
04-16-2006, 09:14 PM
Thanks Lauren,

I'll try to keep em coming to hold off those Cows and the XS group.

Lets bring more firepower to this game.

good luck holding us off we're coming one way or the other.... :clap:

LAURENU2
04-16-2006, 09:36 PM
good luck holding us off we're coming one way or the other....

Well thank you vary much for that kind wish of good luck :lmao:
I guess I should fire up the other part of my Pharm
:umm: I think PY is only 30% up to speed yet :Pokes: And others as well

:hiya: I will start to pump it up another 25% in a week or so:thumbs:

moddolicous
04-16-2006, 11:11 PM
Has Free-DC ever gone completely into one project?? I know DPC said on our forums that the most they ever had on a single project was like a 1/4 or so.

PCZ
04-16-2006, 11:17 PM
Short answer is no
There are dozens of projects out there and Free-DC has teams in all of them.

ToshPower
04-17-2006, 09:54 AM
This is getting very interesting... :smoking:

Wondering how this will develop...

Time for the Russians to join the fight :D

Bullet2urBrain
04-17-2006, 03:20 PM
Short answer is no
There are dozens of projects out there and Free-DC has teams in all of them.

now that worries me... :D

i know you have PY @ 30% or so, and alot of other firepower in other projects but we are almost tripling you guys :lmao:

em99010pepe
04-17-2006, 04:19 PM
now that worries me... :D

i know you have PY @ 30% or so, and alot of other firepower in other projects but we are almost tripling you guys :lmao:

Please compare Free-DC (http://www.dc-vault.com/showteam.php?team=40) vs XtremeSystems (http://www.dc-vault.com/showteam.php?team=311).

Regards,

Carlos

LAURENU2
04-17-2006, 05:43 PM
Please compare Free-DC (http://www.dc-vault.com/showteam.php?team=40) vs XtremeSystems (http://www.dc-vault.com/showteam.php?team=311).

Regards,

Carlos
With Free-DC it is quality not quantity-->:jester:

Got the stuffing for 3 more muffins today I will put a new node on now and one or more a day until I smell wires melting:smoking:
If I:hiya: am going down I am going to give them one He** of a :fight:
But until then they can look at my :moon: ---> Go Team Go

DocWardo
04-17-2006, 07:33 PM
Wow!
:shocked:
http://www.dc-vault.com/showscores.php

looking at those stats, I find it awsome that Free-DC holds the overall #1 spot!

Hmmm lets see if I can :borg: a few more boxes.......

LAURENU2
04-17-2006, 10:37 PM
Wow!
:shocked:
http://www.dc-vault.com/showscores.php

looking at those stats, I find it awsome that Free-DC holds the overall #1 spot!

Hmmm lets see if I can :borg: a few more boxes.......

No wonder they are doing almost 2X our output (not the 3X claimed by Bullet2urBrain) They are only doing 7 projects to our 35
No wonder we are not all on the same project It would melt down the project server if we did:rock:

Chuck
04-17-2006, 11:13 PM
I vote for FDC melting down the RAH server !!!!

I also am getting hungry for ribs :D

PY 222
04-18-2006, 03:02 PM
Damn... I blew a circuit last night trying to put more servers online. Arrggghh.

gopher_yarrowzoo
04-18-2006, 03:47 PM
She cannae handle it captain, I've rigged her up like a christmas tree, Im not sure how much more she can take before total meltdown.
Underclocks power breaker system

Meanwhile somewhere in cyberspace:
####### Node Patch #####
login: d0t5745h
password: *************
cmd: UpdateNodeInfo
Enter Node(s): dnsserver1.wanadoo.nl;dnsserver2.wanadoo.nl
Enter Update File:\\docking-ring\remote_files\dutch_denial.db
Uploading: #######################
Uploaded 25 Record(s).
Record Validity Times found and integrated..
Intergratition on next update (2hrs6m).
cmd: UpdateNodes
Node Data Updated, 25 Records Updated.
cmd: ShowValidityTime(latest)
Last Update: 20s ago, 25 Records Added, Validitity Time 671h 59m 40s
cmd: logout
##### Connection Closed #####
He He, DPC now works for us ;)
best of it is, they get valid work ;) but the work goes somewhere where it's FDC'd -
Gopher of the Collective Node #2315465 of the :borg:.
I am :borg:, resistance is futile you will all fall to the :borg: join us or die.
:rotfl:

Digital Parasite
04-18-2006, 04:53 PM
I think I solved my duallie-crash situation. I ran both a memtest86+ and prime95 torture test from a Linux boot disk over the weekend with no problems so the hardware seems fine. I upgraded both the sound driver and video card drivers in Windows, plus I blew out all the dust from the inside which dropped the CPU temps by about 5 degrees each. So far it hasn't crashed (yet). Full speed ahead on my micro-pharm. :rock:

Chuck
04-18-2006, 06:14 PM
I appreciate the efforts to keep the power up, but you have to keep each nacelle in proper phase otherwise it causes a wormhole..... like the one I had here yesterday. :harhar:

I am running 38 of 40 possible amps here.

Please be more gentle with those node switches and phase adjustments... power factor is a &@$#!

C

Chuck
04-18-2006, 06:15 PM
I think I solved my duallie-crash situation. I ran both a memtest86+ and prime95 torture test from a Linux boot disk over the weekend with no problems so the hardware seems fine. I upgraded both the sound driver and video card drivers in Windows, plus I blew out all the dust from the inside which dropped the CPU temps by about 5 degrees each. So far it hasn't crashed (yet). Full speed ahead on my micro-pharm. :rock:

DP,
What was the temp under full load prior to the clean up?

C.

IronBits
04-19-2006, 01:06 AM
Project is Down! and I'm running out of work :(

DocWardo
04-19-2006, 02:46 AM
I hope someone is having a sleepless nite doing maintence on the rosetta servers!

PCZ
04-19-2006, 02:56 AM
Yep
Most of my PC's are out of work as well.

Cows must have broke the Server :(

PY 222
04-19-2006, 03:26 AM
Looks like its back up.

Can't wait to see the stats update again. :clap:

Digital Parasite
04-19-2006, 11:12 AM
What was the temp under full load prior to the clean up?

They were 46C and 51C I believe (Athlon MP-2600+). Now they are 41C and 47C I think. One CPU is always warmer than the other because it is right beside the AGP slot. Still no crashies.

Shish
04-20-2006, 03:40 AM
Have to clean out the ThermalRights every month on my 3 XP duals.
Damn thin fins attract the dust and can bump the temps up above 50C from a more normal 42C/43C. And the poor 80mm fans work harder with oomps more noise as they get above 45cfm. And that triggers the 120mms as well which normally run at around 1000rpm or less and when they hit 2000rpm it`s time to do some cleaning. I`ve taken all but the thin wire dust traps out of those boxes to dump some decibels and give better cooling but the penalty is a regular blow and suck job from the Hoover every 6-7 weeks.
Mind you, none of them run more than a couple degrees between the two cpus and they all have more than one vid card in, mainly 9800 AIWs for the main plus various tv cards and suchlike. Certainly full house on slots anyway.
If your card is a hot one, get one of those thingy coolers that fit most NV/ATI cards and blow straight out of a slot. Very quiet and very cool card after fitting one of those and quite cheap now as I remember.

PCZ
04-20-2006, 04:40 AM
I noticed that on my MP's one CPU always runs hotter than the other.
They are a PITA to keep running in the Summer they really dont like the heat.

Most of them are off now cos i'm doing my bit to save the enivoriment.
Or maybe it's cos they use an obscene amount of electric which i have to pay for :(

gopher_yarrowzoo
04-20-2006, 02:17 PM
Chuck,
I've been gently stabalising the freaking nacelles, darn delicate job to balance em while they are running at full power. Not an easy task.. Ah that's what happened, ophs, it was only a 0.04 deg phase shifted sub-space pocket, nothing major. Im gonna power up the Quantum Singularity Drive need MORE POWER! that and I've already upgraded both the primary and secondary plasma conduits already this year so im not doing that again.. Okay I'll have the team install a multi-phase stabilser to your supply shall I..
The nodes are fine now, just trying to decouple the cows, guess I and my :borg: friends got the wrong info, not like us..
## Incoming Broadcast ##
Gopher of the Collective Node #2315465 of the :borg:, the information was incorrect, it was right, someone did a smoke job on us, the cows will PAY!
## Transmission Ends ##
Oh Well See now you've gone and stirred up the :borg: up oh dear!

LAURENU2
04-20-2006, 04:31 PM
gopher_yarrowzoo
I think you need a improbability Drive instead of a multi-phase stabilser
:umm: I know I have to get one as part of my upgrades:rotfl:

Go Team Go
Good going team we have almost tripled our output over the last 10 days:hifi:
:rotfl: HE he I guess 1/3 of that is PY :rotfl:

Chuck
04-20-2006, 07:50 PM
Goph,
Would ya please move the Heizenberg Compensator to the other conduit?? That's ya problem! Ya canna transport at warp speed inta solid rock. And don't forget to use the right tool for the right job, else ya gonna sodd it up on me!

riptide
04-23-2006, 11:03 PM
good luck holding us off we're coming one way or the other.... :clap:
I'll second that. (riptide here from XS :Pokes: )

gopher_yarrowzoo
04-25-2006, 04:04 AM
gopher_yarrowzoo
I think you need a improbability Drive instead of a multi-phase stabilser
:umm: I know I have to get one as part of my upgrades:rotfl:

Sure Lauren and where ya suppose I pick one of them up real quick, and I have had a bad experience with one before, minor glitch with the instructions meant I was talking to myself for a week, hey the only thing was it was future self - freaking weird it was!

Goph,
Would ya please move the Heizenberg Compensator to the other conduit?? That's ya problem! Ya canna transport at warp speed inta solid rock. And don't forget to use the right tool for the right job, else ya gonna sodd it up on me!
It is on the other conduit, erm wait it's offline, intake valves blocked, erm wtf!
:swear: OK who let the kids loose on ma engineering drawings they've only gone and had me connect it up to the wrong place well that proves something **** don't compress well, that does explain a lot about why MS programs are sooo big don't it...
However fixed now, all cleaned out, god I love having scuts to do the dirty work...
Now where did I put the spike suppression gear i need to install it on my consoles.

LAURENU2
04-26-2006, 05:50 PM
Well it is down to our last 4 weeks as the #1 team at Rosetta:swear:
That means I / We only have 4 weeks to _:moon:_all the teams below us
So I guess I better start cracking (a joke)

Dutch Power Cows :moon:
XtremeSystems :moon:
TeAm AnandTech :moon:
XPC :moon:
US-Distributed :moon:
ARS Technica :moon:
Housing and Food Services :moon:
Phoenix Rising :moon:
Canada :moon:

Outstanding outputfrom DPC and XS :thumbs:

Chuck
04-26-2006, 06:21 PM
I'm one for 'cracking' a joke... but I didn't know it is a full moon out.

Guess I better get my telescope out if I'm going to see anything from down here in Texas! :lmao:

ToshPower
04-26-2006, 06:47 PM
Well it is down to our last 4 weeks as the #1 team at Rosetta:swear:

What?? You gonna roll over?

:umm: :Pokes:

LAURENU2
04-26-2006, 09:06 PM
What?? You gonna roll over?

:umm: :Pokes:
Never:fight: :fight: Till:The:LastByte:

I just wanted a excuse to :moon:__>:rotfl:

PY 222
04-26-2006, 09:25 PM
Never:fight: :fight: Till:The:LastByte:

I just wanted a excuse to :moon:__>:rotfl:

I'm with you Lauren.

I've just moved all my OGR servers over to R@H to help slow down the takeover.

Come on people... lets give them a fight of their lives.

IronBits
04-26-2006, 10:11 PM
The Dutch Power Cows and XtremeSystems have a great duel going on. :rock:
They are also the only two teams that are out producing us in the project, for the moment anyways. :p ;)

We haven't given up, we just don't have the quantity of members they enjoy.
We mostly rely on our large pharmers to carry the majority of the grunt work, until we can give our membership a chance to grow larger.
We have lost 2 of our very big hitters just this past month which has hurt our momentum, but not our spirit.

It's all about, the many crunchers with one boxen, that are willing to dedicate their time, effort, electricity and boxen, to the Team effort.

They don't get enough recognizition because we are few and miss their contributions and milestones because of RL getting in the way of our hobby, or trying hard to manage large pharms to keep the pressure up.

I :clap: their efforts and contributions to the Team and hope we can gain many more. We NEED all the members we can get.
I'm not sure where the problem is, if there is one, as we have the finest easy going members I have seen anywhere.

Maybe the word is not going forward, maybe it's something I have failed to do.?!

Everyone needs to get out there and recruit recruit recruit!
Remember, it's not politically correct to recruit over on other Team's Forums.

After all, we are a bunch of laid back folks that want a hassle free place to enjoy the Team comradery, and other things, as we duke it out with other Teams.

Go Team Go! :bouncy:

LAURENU2
04-26-2006, 10:42 PM
Everyone needs to get out there and recruit recruit recruit!
Remember, it's not politically correct to recruit over on other Team's Forums.

Good Idea I :hiya: Am going to take out a Full Page Add in PlayBoy
Now only I could get a Pic of my wife naked sitting in frount of a PC with our website on it _:slap:
:rotfl: :harhar: :rotfl:

DocWardo
04-27-2006, 12:01 AM
Do we have anything that I could post on my website or blog to send some people to the site? maybe a logo pic or banner?

Just wondering.

IronBits
04-27-2006, 12:28 AM
Good idea! Who/What/Where are Free-DC?
ColinT said it best here: http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2 ;)

Logo could be the one we use on the website and forum
www.free-dc.org/images/logo-dark-bg-250x55.png

:thumbs:

IronBits
04-27-2006, 12:31 AM
I Am going to take out a Full Page Add in PlayBoy Not sure that would bring the right folks to the Team, but I'd like to see you pull that one off and survive to tell about it. :harhar:

Petey
04-27-2006, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by LAUREN2
Now only I could get a Pic of my wife naked sitting in front of a PC with our website on it
Someone asked me the other day if I had any pictures of my wife naked. I said NO and then they asked if I wanted to buy some!!

PY 222
04-27-2006, 02:38 AM
Someone asked me the other day if I had any pictures of my wife naked. I said NO and then they asked if I wanted to buy some!!

Now that is golden.

Two thumbs up Petey. :thumbs: :thumbs:

thekip
04-27-2006, 03:56 AM
After all, we are a bunch of laid back folks that want a hassle free place to enjoy the Team comradery, and other things, as we duke it out with other Teams.
That's exactly how it is and how it should be :hifi: . You probably will be overrun in a few weeks but as long as it's a nice and fair fight I think we can all enjoy it :thumbs:

Chuck
04-27-2006, 05:27 AM
Perhaps a bit off topic but in the spirit of true, friendly, laid back fun,

what if XS, DPC and all were to extend their participation in as many projects
as FDC? I do think we would have a much more even playing field. Otherwise, once #1 rank is obtained, can it be maintained??

Am I incorrect? If so, please (any team) correct me.

I don't mind being beaten fair & square, as fair is fair and indeed fun.

Anyone up for some 'mathematics' ???? :)

C.

IronBits
04-27-2006, 10:22 AM
Good point Chuck.
Once they do pass us, they begin that delicate balance of weening computers off this project, but only just enough to stay ahead of us, while trying to bolster their production in other projects.
Then they will have to hope no one challenges them to a gauntlet in a different project, thus bleeding off their power.
The delicate dance of balancing ones power is a tricky one...

We've been doing that dance for quite some time now eh?
For instance, I'm very heavy over on SOB and Dimes, and Bok is mostly on QMC to try to maintain our leads on those projects...
Others are trying to maintain our spots in other projects to. I can't keep up with who is doing what where tho, I wish I could tho. :(

Let's hope when they take the lead they clean the place up!
Moogie is getting tired of cleaning up our messes and yelling at us to pick up our dirty socks. :D

Let's see how well they do... ;) Long term goals vs short term goals...
It's all about the long haul and staying power. :jester:

:fridge:Party on :cheers:

thewildblue
04-28-2006, 06:11 PM
Perhaps a bit off topic but in the spirit of true, friendly, laid back fun,

what if XS, DPC and all were to extend their participation in as many projects
as FDC? I do think we would have a much more even playing field. Otherwise, once #1 rank is obtained, can it be maintained??

Am I incorrect? If so, please (any team) correct me.

I don't mind being beaten fair & square, as fair is fair and indeed fun.

Anyone up for some 'mathematics' ???? :)

C.

Remember XS is an overclocking site. We hold many WR records and our 3d mark team is the best in the world. I suppose the question on fair is, whats the difference between 1 user with 50 systems and 50 users with 1 system ?

Shame we couldnt get even 10% of our userbase to get DCing, then we could really take on the mighty Free-DC in many more projects.:banana:

Chuck
04-28-2006, 11:15 PM
Remember XS is an overclocking site. We hold many WR records and our 3d mark team is the best in the world. I suppose the question on fair is, whats the difference between 1 user with 50 systems and 50 users with 1 system ?

Shame we couldnt get even 10% of our userbase to get DCing, then we could really take on the mighty Free-DC in many more projects.:banana:

Quite valid points! Can you imagine what would happen if we formed a joint-effort team, shared our knowledge and turned out a top notch team. Together we would be unstoppable in anything, true??

Shish
04-30-2006, 07:01 AM
OW......chhhh. 24 hour jobs...Nice when the points do come through but I`m down a dual XP Barton till I get the VNC server going on it and a reliable connection.

Hey IB, long time since I used anything like Smoothwall but I`m tempted to play with a one. What about running one on a Virtual Machine, mebbe just for the hell of it?

OK....I`ll Google it and mebbe play with one on the old Thin box. Mind you, the grass needs cutting before it gets above head high....rain-sun,rain sun. Dwarf Alaskan grass don`t half grow fast at the end of winter.

thewildblue
04-30-2006, 10:50 AM
OW......chhhh. 24 hour jobs...Nice when the points do come through but I`m down a dual XP Barton till I get the VNC server going on it and a reliable connection.

Hey IB, long time since I used anything like Smoothwall but I`m tempted to play with a one. What about running one on a Virtual Machine, mebbe just for the hell of it?

OK....I`ll Google it and mebbe play with one on the old Thin box. Mind you, the grass needs cutting before it gets above head high....rain-sun,rain sun. Dwarf Alaskan grass don`t half grow fast at the end of winter.

Dont know how that would quite work with the smoothwall on a virtual machine, can you add more than 1 nic in VMware. I suppose it would be good to test.

LAURENU2
04-30-2006, 11:31 AM
by thewildblue

Shame we couldnt get even 10% of our userbase to get DCing,
YES it is the Same here we only have 5% of our userbase DCing,

Shish
04-30-2006, 01:51 PM
Dont know how that would quite work with the smoothwall on a virtual machine, can you add more than 1 nic in VMware. I suppose it would be good to test.
I use M$ VMs and you can have as many nics as the machine has or a choice including shared/nat etc.
Hmmm....933Mhz twins on a rubbish Via board (Tyan Tiger or summat) or 900Mhz Xeons (lumps of cache and 2 Gb memory on a Supermicro or nice fast (for it`s day) IWill. 3 spare old 2.4Gb scusi or 16Gb ide? Questions questions....another project for as and when (meaning don`t forget to breathe while waiting:confused: )
See if I get time cos building weather starts next week, hopefully.

Chuck
04-30-2006, 02:16 PM

We used VMware to obtain a combo Linux/Windows simultaneous environment. We had to spend mega $$$ to get a custom driver from them. We just finished dumping the last of the VMware loads (from over 500 machines).

The end result was it was cheaper to put up two machines or simply dual-boot due to the performance loss and high cost of licenses/maintenance. Dual cpu / dual nic machines didn't benefit as well as advertised. This includes Pentiums, Xeons, and AMDs.

Now, not to knock it too bad, it does work great for test environments, but not for production work.

C.

thewildblue
04-30-2006, 05:35 PM
We used VMware to obtain a combo Linux/Windows simultaneous environment. We had to spend mega $$$ to get a custom driver from them. We just finished dumping the last of the VMware loads (from over 500 machines).

The end result was it was cheaper to put up two machines or simply dual-boot due to the performance loss and high cost of licenses/maintenance. Dual cpu / dual nic machines didn't benefit as well as advertised. This includes Pentiums, Xeons, and AMDs.

Now, not to knock it too bad, it does work great for test environments, but not for production work.

C.

Well I played with the M$ version and wasnt that impressed, Ive been fiddling around with VMware since around 2001 and I find it good as when you only have a limited number of machines at your disposal you cant always afford to have some down for R&D. Its also good for testing new roleout options and there is always the snapshot option should you make a big mistake.

I use VMware 95% for Dimes now and a bit of playing when I get time....which isnt much now Ive become an IT contractor....200 miles a day at the moment....it wears you out.

thewildblue
04-30-2006, 05:37 PM
I use M$ VMs and you can have as many nics as the machine has or a choice including shared/nat etc.
Hmmm....933Mhz twins on a rubbish Via board (Tyan Tiger or summat) or 900Mhz Xeons (lumps of cache and 2 Gb memory on a Supermicro or nice fast (for it`s day) IWill. 3 spare old 2.4Gb scusi or 16Gb ide? Questions questions....another project for as and when (meaning don`t forget to breathe while waiting:confused: )
See if I get time cos building weather starts next week, hopefully.

Sounds like you have some nice toys to play with, Ive got an old Dual Dell (PIII 500)server in the garage building up dust and thats about it server wise.

I will have to look into adding more NICs to a VMware box at some stage...if its possible.

IronBits
04-30-2006, 06:59 PM
I'm slowly returning to Rosetta.
Still waiting on a few more SOB clients to finish up.

LAURENU2
04-30-2006, 10:02 PM
:thumbs:
I'm slowly returning to Rosetta.
Still waiting on a few more SOB clients to finish up.

Well thats good Because I need to Shutdown for a day or two to rewire and shift power around some time soon :bang:
Like gopher_yarrowzoo said
stabilizing the freaking nacelles, is a darn delicate job to balance em while they are running at full power
So it is into spaceport I go to restock, rearm and add more firepower:sniper: http://www.laurensnet.com/image/smiley/032.gif
I :hiya: know you all will watch my back while I am down:hifi:

IronBits
04-30-2006, 11:07 PM
Well, I can only cover 1/2 your back. ;)
Hurry back! :hifi:

Bok
05-01-2006, 02:50 PM
I've restarted Rosetta on 7 dualcores + a couple of other machines, though they will also finish up their QMC wu's first. So it should ramp up towards 10K per day or more. Will add the rest when I get back home this weekend.

Bok

Shish
05-01-2006, 03:06 PM
ve got 2 duals coming back online as soon as I adjust the image with latest updates and fixes.
Seems these 24 hour jobs will mean one day no results and one day double my usual output.
Getting a lot of errors with some of these new jobs though.
So and so job exited as finished but no file or something like that.
Have to find time to track these errors down cos it ain`t the machine. The new Asus has settled down nicely in it`s new Gigabyte case now I`ve sorted the correct output for all the fans. QFan works well and also the new Gigabyte water cooler which is very reasonable price and with the QFan controlling the extra fan is nearly silent running at the minimum speed available on QFan of 51C. Board runs at 40C with Fets running same as the cpu 50C/51C. Had to move the drives away from the front fan though and up into the top three 5.25 bays (of 5 total) and the 4 drives are in an ICY Box unit which then exhausts straight into the psu suck bit of the blower exhaust and they are now running very cool without affecting the other bits in the box. Other 4 drives are running via the external scusi which is now on an Infiniband card and they also sit in an external Icy Box 4 drive stack. Not exactly cheap but gives me a main video server with 2Tb of storage and a database which controls the other 3 machines. Should allow me to get 2 more machines running DC which were not on because their databases were affected by DC.
10Gb network now up and running well but the long run has had to go on fibre cos even the best Cat 6 won`t go far enough without degrading the data..
Next up is a Smoothwall to replace the Cisco as soon as I can persuade my supplier to (permanently) loan me another couple 10Gb server cards. Settled on the 900Mhz 2Mb cache Xeons and a SuperMicro server board plus 3x2.1Gb scusis and I`m gonna try a combo of VM and MS 2003 to get something out of the DC and maybe not Smoothwall but one of the other Linus firewalls.
Lotta playing around so this maybe a longer term project as I`ve got building work starting soon on the new house now the weather is better and it`s going to need careful watching as the design may need to modified while it`s being built.

LAURENU2
05-01-2006, 04:55 PM
http://www.laurensnet.com/image/avitar/mooavitar.gifhttp://www.laurensnet.com/image/avitar/mooavitar.gifhttp://www.laurensnet.com/image/avitar/mooavitar.gifhttp://www.laurensnet.com/image/avitar/mooavitar.gif
Down to 3 weeks till a cow starts eating the grass in our back yard:lmao:
Guess it is about time to start to deploy our secret weapon
http://www.laurensnet.com/image/avitar/bemcow.gifhttp://www.laurensnet.com/image/avitar/bemcow.gifhttp://www.laurensnet.com/image/avitar/bemcow.gifhttp://www.laurensnet.com/image/avitar/bemcow.gif

Go Team Go

PY 222
05-01-2006, 06:37 PM
I am almost done fully deploying the old DPAD fleet over to R@H.

The 5.07 client is really rocking as it has reduced the chances of workunits getting stuck and eating away those precious CPU cycles. So for those of you that have stull 5.01 or 5.06 running, do try to get the 5.07 client as soon as possible.

Lets Roll..... :thumbs: :banana: :banana:

LAURENU2
05-01-2006, 06:45 PM
Yes I agree with PY 5.07 is far improved over the past ones:rock:

riptide
05-02-2006, 08:45 PM
I am almost done fully deploying the old DPAD fleet over to R@H.

The 5.07 client is really rocking as it has reduced the chances of workunits getting stuck and eating away those precious CPU cycles. So for those of you that have stull 5.01 or 5.06 running, do try to get the 5.07 client as soon as possible.

Lets Roll..... :thumbs: :banana: :banana:
Yes I've noticed you output has increased somewhat. Well done. For the post about Cows eating grass in your back yard - I make this prediction. That XS will overtake the DPC before they overtake you.

Riptide@XS

:cool:

Shish
05-02-2006, 10:26 PM
Well that`s the errant 2 duals back online plus a rejigged install on all the others.
Have to see what else I can dig up next week.
Not sure about a 4400 or maybe go 170 this time for the higher multi.
Might even look at the new Asus ATI chipset board.
Hmm...who knows where this will lead? :clap:

Chuck
05-02-2006, 11:16 PM
Board runs at 40C with Fets running same as the cpu 50C/51C.

If those are AMDs, please check for a BIOS update.

I just had to do a bios update to correct a major heat problem.

The CPU and mobo, at idle, was 45C and 35C respectively, using 120mm fans.

As soon as I put in the Bios update... the core voltage was lowered because the FID/VID was properly recognized. temps are now 38C and 26C under FULL LOAD with NO relocation of hardware. I also was able to sneak in another 10mhz up on the FSB speed in the process. :) I know I can go up another 20 mhz FSB with no problem if needed.

Shish
05-03-2006, 12:46 AM
:) Using the latest beta bios after trying several others.
Board is an Asus A8N-SLI and has Qfan which controls the fansin the case and that temp is the lowest temp you can set.
Idle is room temp plus a couple. The temps I quoted are 100%-100% with a room temp of ....around 28C.
The Gigabyte case has one front 120mm and 2 rear 120mm and the hard drives are out the way now in an IcyBox 4 drive rack with it`s own inaudible cooling which feeds into the Enermax CoolerGiants suck part of the blower which blows straight out without affecting the psu itself.
Taken a lot of time getting the right fan speeds and the Gigabyte watercooling fits in well cos the heatsink has a small (80mm) fan on top (also inaudible) which just blows air around the fets which have the the heatsink combined with the bridge one and no fans.
Good system and works well but we`ve got some warm days coming and I want to see if it has enough headroom to run OK on summer days without tripping the AC in here.
Anyway, when I`ve finished playing, this is going into the lounge as the main video server so it has to be quiet`ish and it is.

Off to bed now cos it`s near 6:00am and I`ve not been in bed since Saturday. And that`s a big part of my health problem.
Ne`er mind, got my new powerchair picked out and the next car....:)

Bok
05-03-2006, 03:56 AM
Good system and works well but we`ve got some warm days coming

I don't remember any warm days back in Gateshead :)

High in the summer might have hit 75F or so!!

We hit 97F in Phoenix today and it's only going to get hotter.....

Chuck
05-03-2006, 05:03 AM
It's getting warmer here in Texas as well.

I know you have gone to great expense and effort to cool the machine down, but I suspect there is something that is still not working correctly.

I've seen the cooler you have in action and under 100% load it keeps things VERY cool... even in Texas.

The best cooler I've found for use here in Texas is the Gigabyte 3-D max. It is a twin-blower (inaudible) heat-pipe air design of circular design. I use standard AS-5 for the compound. The mobo and cpus are in a 19" horizontal rack case to avoid the coolers from hanging sideways. The temps I've quoted are with the 120mm intake fan cooling all 6 Hard drives first. As for my fan speeds, I turn off the AMD Q-fan feature. My fans are quiet enough not to be heard.

Given the idle temps you have (ambient + a few), and then the high temp swing you get at 100% usage, is a possible problem with the cpu compound / cement. I don't believe you should have had to do so much tweaking of the fans speeds to get things right.

I am not challenging your skills, but will ask the dumb question just to help solve the problem if I can..... Have you double checked the cpu compound/cement coverage and curing to the heat sink? It almost sounds like you have a thick spot or a bare spot in there. An air bubble will also drive it that crazy.

For reference, last summer, during the height of the summer heat, my cpus were at 41C full load (dualies) on the ASUS K8V SLI as well as the Tyan Thunder (SLI as well) using just air cooling. The house temp (ambient) was set for 24-25C (76-77F) and the room would get up to 26-27C when the outside temp is 38-40+ (100+F).

Hope this gives food for thought and you can solve it easily, but my opinion is that something is definately disturbing your heat conductivity. I would check to see how fast the cpu rises to max temp and how quickly it returns to ambient when load is applied and removed. My temps take approx 10 minutes to heat to normal max, and will drop back to 1-2C within mobo temp as soon as load is removed.

C.

LAURENU2
05-03-2006, 09:13 AM
Well some good News The time to road kill clock s now running backward :banana:
It now stands at 23.4 days
:banana: Go Team Go:banana:

Shish
05-03-2006, 10:51 AM
Hi Chuck.
I can get the temps much lower but that is at the expense of NOISE.
The QFAN on the Asus board has a temp setting in the bios which controls temp and 51C is the lowest you can set. At that temp, everything is cosy and QUIET which is what you need for a LOUNGE video server.
Most of the fans (all 120mm) are running at around 800rpm-1100rpm and having 2 at the back plus the hard drives feeding straight out of a blower in the psu means the raid cards (can get quite hot) and the multiple graphics/tv cards run both cool and quiet.
Anyway temp here today is a quite warm 24C...just nice but getting hotter tomorrow Bok and my so called Alaskan slow grow grass is over a foot high with a combination of rain and sun over the last month or so.
Back on subject though and I`ve got a lot of these trial units which have submitted or finished with no results file or summat like that.

Chuck
05-03-2006, 06:24 PM
Hi Chuck.
I can get the temps much lower but that is at the expense of NOISE.
The QFAN on the Asus board has a temp setting in the bios which controls temp and 51C is the lowest you can set. At that temp, everything is cosy and QUIET which is what you need for a LOUNGE video server.
Most of the fans (all 120mm) are running at around 800rpm-1100rpm and having 2 at the back plus the hard drives feeding straight out of a blower in the psu means the raid cards (can get quite hot) and the multiple graphics/tv cards run both cool and quiet.
Anyway temp here today is a quite warm 24C...just nice but getting hotter tomorrow Bok and my so called Alaskan slow grow grass is over a foot high with a combination of rain and sun over the last month or so.
Back on subject though and I`ve got a lot of these trial units which have submitted or finished with no results file or summat like that.

Shish,
Thank you... that explains everything... I didn't understand that absolute silence was the overriding criteria. (Perhaps I've been standing in the Texan sun too long already). You can override the bios if you wish, but the manual setting requires you to determine if the mobo can detect the fan rpm pulses reliably below that. I'm talking about pushing it down to approx 500 rpm.

I envy you, 24C and your 'Alaskan slow-grow grass' :)
I have spent much time in the midlands... Huntingdon was especially nice
climate as well as running to the extreme northern coastline and spending
some time up there....... and yes, I mean 'WAY' north to Machrihanish.

The weather here is 38C (time is 1700 CDT) and this is 'cool weather'
with winds south @ 10-20, gusting 35-40, all thanks to the enormous
amount of rainfall each of the past 5 nights.

(thanks Bok.... it came from YOUR direction.... :rotfl: )

C.

PS to all: Good to see the counter going the other way!!!!!! About time it does!!!

Bok
05-03-2006, 06:40 PM
Yes,

we were close to 100F yesterday here in Phoenix only about 94F today I think, though that's cool compared to whats still to come in June/July & August..

I'll get a break soon though, looks like a nice trip to the UK in early June on business, I'm sure it'll be freezing there :) Another trip to the UK in July with my son which will get me out of the heat of Phoenix and the het + humidity of NC..

Bok

IronBits
05-04-2006, 03:03 AM
Well some good News The time to road kill clock s now running backward :banana:
It now stands at 23.4 days
:banana: Go Team Go:banana: :|party|: :cheers:

PY 222
05-04-2006, 02:30 PM
Who else is ramping up on R@H?

Come on folks... we can hold off the XS and the Cows.

LAURENU2
05-04-2006, 06:30 PM
:banana: Where is Fozzie We need him to do the daily bow by bow in this horse I mean cow race.

Fozzie we need you!!:fozzie: :drink: :moon:

Chuck
05-04-2006, 07:01 PM
Had a few changes here....

Ramping back up as of tomorrow AM. All testing completed. All hardware overhauls completed.

Good news: 2.2Ghz AMD 3700+ w/ Corsair 2-2-2-5-1 Dual Channel will clock nicely (survives Prime95 & memtest86+) up at 240 FSB. I previously thought 230 FSB was my limit. :)

IronBits
05-04-2006, 08:07 PM
All over it, back to full strength on Rosetta.
:beep:

LAURENU2
05-04-2006, 08:17 PM
2 Dutch Power Cows 24,213,187 292,724.59 -121,960.44 25.35
3 XtremeSystems 23,947,630 318,556.57 -147,792.41 22.71

The cows are going backward And XS is just hovering for the past day:D

IronBits
05-04-2006, 10:43 PM
Got a few more boxen coming to do battle as well. :smoking:

LAURENU2
05-05-2006, 09:29 AM
Got a few more boxen coming to do battle as well. :smoking:
Well Good That will tip the scale.:thumbs:
Now even the XS DTR (Day to roadkill) clock is turning backward

2 Dutch Power Cows 24,319,944 285,542.24 -106,522.33 28.99
3 XtremeSystems 24,114,791 322,317.55 -143,297.64 22.98

:thumbs: Go Team Go:thumbs:

Digital Parasite
05-05-2006, 10:49 AM
The cows have finished their big April push on Rosetta now haven't they so their clock will likely continue to go back. :cheers:

PY 222
05-05-2006, 01:45 PM
I think DPC is no longer a threat, just the boys over at XS.

They are pretty commited to getting No. 1 but to maintain No. 1 when we are behind them sure takes up alot of resources.

We will see how they will pan out in the long run.

ronbo54
05-05-2006, 02:39 PM
Haven't been around much lately. Gradually getting everything put back together so should have better output soon :cheers:

PY 222
05-05-2006, 03:55 PM
Haven't been around much lately. Gradually getting everything put back together so should have better output soon :cheers:

With ronbo back, I am sure the XS will have a harder time overtaking us.

LAURENU2
05-05-2006, 04:06 PM
Well I am flat out right now Until I can do a shut down to run more power, My conduits are warm and if I sneeze wrong I trip a breaker.
I have been holding off til this rush was over

DocWardo
05-05-2006, 04:22 PM
I am tryign to get my IT folks to bring back a box that they need to replace a PSU or Mainboard in. I just wish they would get it done real soon.

I will go hunt for more machines to :borg:

PY 222
05-05-2006, 06:41 PM
WOOT... looks like XS is going to get one hella of a fight. :cheers:

moddolicous
05-05-2006, 07:54 PM
WOOT... looks like XS is going to get one hella of a fight. :cheers:
It sure does PY. Hopefully you guys dont have any secret lurkers like DPC did (burnhard). We are in for the fight. As the saying goes, its not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

PY 222
05-05-2006, 08:17 PM
It sure does PY. Hopefully you guys dont have any secret lurkers like DPC did (burnhard). We are in for the fight. As the saying goes, its not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

Oh rest assured moddolicous, we here at Free-DC always fight fair. We love a good clean battle anytime, anywhere.

So, let the games begin... oh wait... it has already :thumbs:

Chuck
05-05-2006, 08:25 PM
To all of Free-DC and our guests from XS,

I've got the grill pit ready. You want me to put the beef on?
If so, I'll need an idea about what we want.. .ribs, burgers, etc ????
How about the side dishes? Can everyone bring one side dish to pass around?