PDA

View Full Version : Just one more thing...

CaptainMooseInc
03-07-2006, 07:22 PM
Alright. I've dug through all the data and whatnot and found that Yahoo IM (for the IM part at least) only uses 1 port (the whole program has different parts that use more ports) and that there is absolutely no way to switch that around. So, I'm still stuck trying to find a way for both MY computer and my bro-in-law's computer to be dually logged onto YIM. The workaround is simple but unwelcome. Simply it's Trillian. I use Trillian for my own personal AIM, YIM, and MSN. My g/f uses AIM and YIM simultaneously on the same system, then my bro-in-law normally uses YIM on his computer. But...since we've all networked the actual YIMs only are allowing 1 at a time...

This is odd... :-p

-Jeff

gopher_yarrowzoo
03-08-2006, 06:09 PM
Hmm well I've not set up any port forwarding on my router and you shouldn't either I do believe it should be possible for 2 Yahoo Messengers to sit on the same network, I've just proved it by doing it on my network here, both running V7, 2 different accounts both stay signed in. I can also send messages from one to other, So I don't know what's going on there.

CaptainMooseInc
03-08-2006, 08:44 PM
yes i'm quite thoroughly convinced Yahoo is just psychotic. I'm going to try and uninstall them and reinstall to make sure both are clean and most recent versions. dunno if it'll work but i'll keep ya'll posted.

IronBits
03-08-2006, 09:00 PM
It's because of NAT... games give you fits to when you have multiple computers trying to access the same game server.

I don't know of any work around at this time...

The Servers see your outside WAN IP given to your router, not your PC's IP address. Thus it sees 3 computers with the same IP trying to access the Server at the same time and can't deal with it.

Let us know if you do find a work around!

CaptainMooseInc
03-08-2006, 09:59 PM
I actually have an idea for a workaround. This problem has arisen before and my g/f's stepdad found a suitable workaround. Not for IMing but for gaming. He simply uses Hamachi.

If you don't know what Hamachi is look it up on Google. I dunno if I can configure it to work properly but I hope so.

-Jeff

CaptainMooseInc
03-08-2006, 10:17 PM
just removed YIM and reinstalled only on my system. Currently both systems are logged on with no problems.

Only weird thing is that when i re-installed YIM on my computer my bro-in-law's computer popped up (with ZoneAlarm) saying a new network had been found in the IP address of 192.168.1.0.

My router's IP address is 192.168.1.1 and our computers are each 192.168.1.100 and 101. What is the 192.168.1.0? Could it just be the router's way of handling it? Making a second gateway? No reason to worry right?

-Jeff

Shish
03-09-2006, 12:27 AM
The .0 bit means that is the complete network adress containing all the subnets and addresses of which you are one.IE 192.160.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 etc. except the zero and 255 ones which are used for different purposes. That is, you have 253 possible addresses (assuming the normal supernetting) derived from that starting address.
Sorry if the explanation is a bit obtuse, my brain is fogged with drugs which are not for recreational purposes although they have a high street value :D

CaptainMooseInc
03-09-2006, 06:27 AM
It keeps getting better and better! And that isn't sarcasm either my friends! After YIM started working I thought my programs list was a littler cluttered, so I went into Spring Cleaning mode...PC style...

I ditched around 30 programs (big and small) in which I just wasn't using them or never even had after I installed them. Then I ran across AOL Toolbar. Yes, I have AOL on my computer. It's my g/f's only program she craves so desperately. Thank god I have someone else paying for the account. :)

Anywayz this thing REFUSED to uninstall no matter what I did so I restarted and then my computer ran slower than a Windows 98 computer that just had a blind date with two spyware hookers and a rootkit pimp. It was absolutely horrid and there was no memory or PC load to explain it. So when I was in IE I tried to remove the AOL toolbar, nope...so the new IE7 I had errored out but this time with a message I've never seen before citing the AOL ActiveX control had gone mad and tried to take over Europe. It then gave me an option to see which ActiveX controls were enabled (in a very neat manner) and I simply disabled 3 AOL related ActiveX controls from my IE. Now I have no PC problems.

Also, I had been having very slow load times for IE. When I'd first start it it'd take probably 40 seconds to open the browser and another 10 to get to the homepage (after that it was all okay as long as you didn't close that window). Now with those 3 AX controls disabled it boots in no time flat and I'm on my home page in a flash!

Hoorah for Spring Cleaning!

Now if I could just get that pesky Firefox to work. I blame ZoneAlarm really.

-Jeff

Shish
03-09-2006, 10:53 PM
Yep, I`ve had to forcibly remove AOL from several computers and that`s when you learn what tools really work.
It does seem like it tries to take over everything because it involves not only active x but other controls and branding in IE etc. etc.
Once you learn what files to look for (cos uninstalling it makes things worse) you can just use any decent search and spyware prog to find out what junk it`s left behind and after uninstalling, you may need to forcibly remove some files with an unlocker prog.
I keep telling people, if you sign up with an ISP, never, EVAR install anything they give you and especially AOL. It`s worse than putting spyware on there (or same thing cos you`re actually paying them to allow them to send you advertising :haddock: ) and also make sure to clean out the cookies, temp files and History, plus any setting s in the /user/documents and settings/application data...and user settings. File search will get you most of them then you may need a .reg cleaner (CrapCleaner?) to get the rest.