PDA

View Full Version : Electron Microscope III v1.8.1 (Update)

TheWeatherMan
06-25-2002, 12:00 PM
Released version 1.8.1 of EM III.
New Features:

Right-Click tray icon menu now has show/hide EM selection.
New emprot.dat file w/frames info.
EM now auto-selects 5 second interval if save stats is selected.
More info in the HTML stats section.
Selecting a specific box loads only proteins that box has finished.

This release fixes a problem EM has in trying to determine how many frames a protein has. When you start this new version of EM, your stats csv file will be renamed (a backup) and then EM will process the entire file to update it with a new field called Frames. Having this information saved in EM will help figuring out what a protein is worth if Stanford yet again names a protein with the same name. I don't understand if it's just sloppy attention to detail or just laziness on their part. They have been pretty good about it until the GNRA Hairpin protein arrived with 50 frames. Oh well, this should make sure we can track the points properly unless they add yet a third one with the same name.

New tray icon feature. Previous versions only showed a tray menu selection of Show EM Window when the EM window was hidden. A new selection has been added when the window is visible, Hide EM Window.

There is a new protein file called emprotx.dat which replaces the emprot.dat file. This has the extra entry info on the frames. This isn't a perfect solution, but it's the best I can come up with for now. This file will replace the old emprot.dat file.

Because several people where having problems with EM missing the protein information when it was supposed to save it to the csv stats file, I now have EM automatically select a 5 second interval so it can always catch the client changing proteins. The 15 second interval is fine for simple monitoring. This feature will auto engage when you start EM if it isn't already selected.

I am continuing to work on the HTML stats information area in the options menu. Some added stuff that is displayed when you make the HTML file can be viewed. Also, when you select a specific box, only those proteins that box has finished folding will show up in the selection drop down box. This should make it easier to test certain specific proteins without having to know which ones that box has finished. EM also enters what it thinks is the proper number of frames for that specific protein when one is selected. If EM is wrong, you can always edit the info in the text box.

The new display info is the average frame time in both hours/minutes/seconds and seconds only. Having the average number of seconds makes it easier to compare different CPU folding times. The larger the sample size the more accurate and meaningful the information will be. If you have folded at least 5 proteins of the same type, you can be pretty sure that the average time displayed is a fairly accurate picture of what that CPU is actually capable of. Some protein variants have a fairly wide swing in frame time. The PolyQ50 is a perfect example. I have seen differences of over a minute per frame on the same system. Doing this averaging helps bring a realistic number to your over-all view of how fast the CPU really is. No sense kidding yourself that your CPU is the Fastest Folder out there if your information is not really valid. Even with this average feature, the actual time is not perfect, but it's better.

Get it here: http://www.em-dc.com

http://www.em-dc.com/images/optionshtml.jpg
http://www.em-dc.com/images/latestem.jpg