PDA

View Full Version : Can a 32-bit Linux box run a 64-bit Linux diskless node and get 64-bit benefits?

jasong
03-13-2006, 07:16 PM
Ran out of space in the title.

The next computer I buy will probably be a 64-bit dual-core. But I want it to replace my Windows machine(now a Sempron), switch my Windows machine to Linux and attach the not-yet-used motherboard/cpu/RAM combos as diskless nodes. At the moment, I don't have 64-bit at all, but I'm worried about what could happen when I buy a second 64-bit cpu and motherboard and attach it to what will hopefully be a working Linux cluster.

So the question is: Can a 32-bit cpu run a 64-bit cpu and still get 64-bit cpu benefits?

CaptainMooseInc
03-14-2006, 01:31 AM
After reading your post I honestly have no clue what you're asking.

Nothing 32-bit can run in 64-bit mode though.

If you buy a 64bit processor and the supporting mobo etc etc etc, then throw a 64bit capable *nix on it you will have a 64-bit computer. You cannot, however, try and make that 32 bit Sempron do 64-bit work, it's impossible.

Make your new 64-bit comp, convert your 32-bit Windows machine over to a 32-bit *nix and then just put them on your home network. If you want to run a DC project where one of your computers gets assigned a new WU via your other, then that's easily doable because it doesn't matter what platform you're running really.

-Jeff

jasong
03-14-2006, 10:32 AM
After reading your post I honestly have no clue what you're asking.

Nothing 32-bit can run in 64-bit mode though.

If you buy a 64bit processor and the supporting mobo etc etc etc, then throw a 64bit capable *nix on it you will have a 64-bit computer. You cannot, however, try and make that 32 bit Sempron do 64-bit work, it's impossible.

Make your new 64-bit comp, convert your 32-bit Windows machine over to a 32-bit *nix and then just put them on your home network. If you want to run a DC project where one of your computers gets assigned a new WU via your other, then that's easily doable because it doesn't matter what platform you're running really.

-Jeff
I believe this is the key part:

Can a 32-bit cpu run a 64-bit cpu and still get 64-bit cpu benefits?
In other words, if your main Linux machine has a 32-bit processor, and you attach a Linux diskless node with a 64-bit processor, is there a way to get the full benefit from the diskless node?

Bok
03-14-2006, 10:39 AM
I think you completely misunderstand the concepts of what you are trying to say here.

The 32bit CPU does not run the 64bit cpu. They are not slaves as such. All that is happening is that the diskless machines are booting from the main PC (i.e. getting their kernel, network settings etc etc from the drive of the main machine). They then run entirely on their own accord.

So, yes, it could be set up like you ask, but it would make a somewhat difficult task even more difficult, especially as you'd most likely have to server up your own tftp kernel and couldn't use one of the ones out there.

Bok

PCZ
03-14-2006, 10:59 AM
You would have to compile a 64 bit kernel yourself tagged for netboot and update all the files in the nodes root to be 64 bit binaries.
Not impossible but very tricky GURU only stuff.

The Server only provides NFS shares which the PXE nodes use to mount there filesystems.
The Server also is a DHCP and TFTP server, these services are required to get the PXE nodes started.

As Bok has pointed out once booted the PXE nodes are entirely seperate entities and it doesn't matter what the Server is running.

The whole can a 32bit CPU run a 64 bit CPU is null and void, a non question, not relevant, doesn't apply, and is nonsence.

jasong
03-14-2006, 05:44 PM
You would have to compile a 64 bit kernel yourself tagged for netboot and update all the files in the nodes root to be 64 bit binaries.
Not impossible but very tricky GURU only stuff.

The Server only provides NFS shares which the PXE nodes use to mount there filesystems.
The Server also is a DHCP and TFTP server, these services are required to get the PXE nodes started.

As Bok has pointed out once booted the PXE nodes are entirely seperate entities and it doesn't matter what the Server is running.

The whole can a 32bit CPU run a 64 bit CPU is null and void, a non question, not relevant, doesn't apply, and is nonsence.
Okay, then, then let's reverse the question. If you have a 64-bit machine giving orders to 32-bit cpus, or a combo of 32- and 64-bit, does that also cause problems?

Bok
03-14-2006, 06:12 PM
It seems painfully obvious that you haven't even read the answers already given, so don't expect an answer to this.

Bok

CaptainMooseInc
03-14-2006, 06:24 PM
Okay as Bok said...the answers you are looking for are right in front of your face. Read the pixels, they do form letters which form words which form sentences...sentences are the things in which the answers are held.

In case I'm getting what you're asking (again) and you're just not getting the answer in your head...

If you have a 64-bit server and it has say Find-A-Drug on it...

Then you have a diskless 32-bit node that you've found a way to boot up, start Find-A-Drug, and request a workunit through the network from the 64-bit server...there will be NO problem. You can probably even ask to access a copy of the application from the 64-bit server to run through the diskless node.

It's a lot of work and I highly doubt you (or me, or anyone but a few people from this forum) have the capability of constructing such a setup without a lot of hands on sh*t people aren't willing to do via forum walk-through style.

-Jeff

jasong
03-23-2006, 08:18 PM
Beyond the fact that I'm unhappy you guys are unhappy with me, I'm considering the possibility of selling my motherboard/cpu/RAM combos to Free-DC members to help save up for a purely 64-bit computer and ONLY add 64-bit nodes to it.

One of the main problems with that is that I've been unable to verify any of them work because of my lack of ability to find spare parts(I don't have a great deal of money, altthough I just obtained a part-time job that I haven't started yet).

Would you guys be willing to (1) Help me figure out what, exactly, I have(the computer I won at the Christmas party has never been properly identified), and

(2) Give me the benefit of the doubt with my computers?(I want to sell my 2 cpu/motherboard/RAM combos, but I intend that anyone who buys them verify they work before paying for them. Honor system, if you're willing to humor me.)

I know I sound like an idiot, but I'm not sure I'd be able to properly use the unattached 32-bit n odes I have, so I'm thinking about selling them.

jasong
03-23-2006, 08:36 PM
Changed my mind. I don't want people to be concerned about testing them, so I'd like to mail them to one of the bigger crunchers in the United States(volunteers?) and let them figure out if they work or not. Then they can do whatever.

I don't have room in my room for more cases, but I do know I want to start a pharm. I also know I have no way of testing these nodes, and I don't want to give anyone the unfortunate responsibility of deciding whether or not I deserve money for them. Lastly 64-bit is the future and mixing the standards is probably more trouble than it's worth.

Bok
03-23-2006, 08:42 PM
Would you guys be willing to (1) Help me figure out what, exactly, I have(the computer I won at the Christmas party has never been properly identified), and
(

Jason, FFS, I have told you more than once that it is an Abit NF7 mobo + XP2800.

jasong
03-24-2006, 06:08 AM
Jason, FFS, I have told you more than once that it is an Abit NF7 mobo + XP2800.
Okay. Didn't remember.