PDA

View Full Version : Dimes Virtual Machines

CaptainMooseInc
03-15-2006, 08:21 AM
Heya everyone. I'm working on getting at least 1 VM up and seeing how it works. I may have to go and get another 512MB stick of RAM to up my computer's RAM to 1GB.

I have a copy of the Free Linspire Live that was distributed when they renamed themselves after the whole Lindows changeover. If anyone wants it I can send it to you via http://www.yousendit.com

It's free and allows me to upload up to a 1GB file, then it sends you a small e-mail letting you know it's available and you go and download it from their servers. I'm sure there are smaller, faster loading OSes but Linspire is Free and supposedly easy to use so if anyone is interested in having a copy (even if it's non-VMware related) let me know.

If anyone can suggest a smaller, quicker loading *nix Distro that you think a n00b @ linux can handle lemme know. Right now I'm just loading up Linspire Live (from CD boot so I don't really ever have to "install" it). So far it's almost up (it seems) and is around 10 mins for load time.

If anyone can suggest tweaking on this thing for optimal DIMES performance lemme know.

As always here's my specs:
AMD Sempron 2800+
ASUS A7N8X Mobo
512MB DDR PC2700 RAM (Kingston ValuRAM)
160GB Seagate HDD 7200RPM (over 100GB still available)
Windows XP Pro

Darkness Productions
03-15-2006, 08:23 AM
Knoppix (http://knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html), dude. It's got a faster boot than linspire, and works *great*.

CaptainMooseInc
03-15-2006, 09:19 AM
Got the Knoppix ISO. Loaded it. Set the Memory to 64MB and it gave me some error saying not enough memory for KDE and something else? Needs like 84MB minimum? Gonna try upping it.

Also I'm trying to install VMTools package for it and after I click it nothing happens...ever...for a really long time. Nothing. :-p

-Jeff

IronBits
03-15-2006, 09:57 AM
Take a read over here
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=80235

CaptainMooseInc
03-15-2006, 10:17 AM
that's what i was using as my reference for all of this IB. :)

Unfortunately everytime I try to Install VMTools the OS I loaded freezes up and I have to shutdown and restart. I really don't care about it being installed because it works pretty fast as it is.

Now I just need to know how to get the dimes.tar.gz file unzipped and installed. this is the part i've never done before on a linux box.

-jeff

Jeff
03-15-2006, 10:39 AM
I didn't install VMTools for my DSL DIMES agents and it worked fine... except for a memory leak that required restarting the DSL VMs every day or two. :( Couldn't figure out why it was happening so I went to all MiniXP(or Win2000) VMs.

CaptainMooseInc
03-15-2006, 11:17 AM
I don't have a clue what MiniXP is and I don't have a Win2K disc to install. :(

I managed to get the .tar.gz file open with something called ARK...but now I dunno what to do to get the thing to run. Also I dunno if Knoppix comes with JRE on it so I tried DLing it and I dunno how to get it to run.

Linux is harder than Windows. :(

If this doesn't start working soon I'll just run my 1 instance of DIMES and maybe fool around with Linspire a bit more. Maybe it'll make things a bit easier to install. It does loo 98% like Windoze.

-Jeff

Jeff
03-15-2006, 05:47 PM
I'll see what I still have at home this weekend for you. There was a DSL VM package passed around that was setup for DIMES... it was easy enough for a Linux noob like myself to get working so you'll have no problem. ;)

CaptainMooseInc
03-15-2006, 05:50 PM
Woohoo! :)

I'm glad I'm getting to see the roadblocks I'm hitting now because the Dual Xeon system is finally gonna come off the ground in June me thinks and I wanna either Dual boot OSes (windows and a *nix) or just go all out *nix. :)

-Jeff

DragonOrta
03-15-2006, 06:16 PM
Do you have Gmail? I'm not sure if another e-mail would have the space to accept the attachment, but yours does, I can try to send you the TinyXP image that I use for all of my VMs.

CaptainMooseInc
03-15-2006, 08:55 PM
DragonOrta,

Send it to me via this website: http://www.yousendit.com

Make sure to send it to my e-mail address: ebayhacker-at-gmailDOTcom

DragonOrta
03-15-2006, 10:45 PM
I'm sending it now, but it's taking a while. It's been sending for the past 10 minutes.

EDIT: Accidentally closed the window that yousendit was uploading in, so I had to send it again. Just finished, and here is the link if anyone else wants it. http://s52.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2JI12LMQ5SK0R3FTW0JXMAZ5J0

CaptainMooseInc
03-16-2006, 01:32 PM
Dragon,

I've got MiniXP and it's all installed and whatnot. Now I just need to know how to get a web browser on there since there is none included then I can get DIMES and Java on there and be good to go. :)

-Jeff

DragonOrta
03-16-2006, 02:17 PM
What I did was just click on the C drive shortcut on the desktop, and then put www.netdimes.org in the address bar at the top.

Jeff
03-16-2006, 02:31 PM
;) There is a browser... it's some weird thing(OB1 maybe?). You have to click on the .rar browser file and then "move" the .exe to your desktop. Once you get to the NetDimes.org website it will save the DIMES program to your desktop.

BTW, the browser is actually in the Start menu in case you can't find it.

CaptainMooseInc
03-16-2006, 09:52 PM
okay i'll check for that browser when the g/f gives up the other computer in the house so i can check and get on there.

Also the MiniXP was being a bit odd. In the systray had the little two computer linked icon and it was trying to establish an internet connection but just kept saying (with the cursor over it) "1Gbps connection, trying to establish connection).

I dunno if there is any specific thing you're supposed to do or if I just may need to open the browser and see if it'll kick everythin right.

I really like MiniXP though. Is it intended to run just in VMware (or other like programs), or can it be run on a standalone system? I'm thinking, if I can, when my dualie is finished I can dual boot OSes and use a *nix as my primary but have the XP crutch to lean on if I'm getting frustrated...

-Jeff

DragonOrta
03-16-2006, 10:42 PM
Forgot to mention, it doesn't have DHCP, but if you have a router, the IP settings are easy as pie to set up. As opposed to my school where I have to enter about 5 different IPs on each VM to find one that isn't being used.

Yar, it gets annoying.

I used the included browser one time, I think. It just felt wierd, from what I remember. If you just open a location in windows explorer, and then put the web address in the address bar at the top, it will just change to internet explorer, and you can go about your business.

CaptainMooseInc
03-16-2006, 11:50 PM
Dragon,

If you can PM me the intstructions for settings up the IP settings. I have a home network setup via a router and whatnot so I hope that helps you in knowing what I may need.

I couldn't find the router and I had tried that whole putting the address in the Windows Explorer but a "Page Not Found" display came up because of the lack of an internet connection being established.

Once I get that connection established I should be good to go. :)

-Jeff

GOT IT!!! Thanks to working with Bok previously on setting up my home network I was able to figure out using IPCONFIG /ALL to pull the gateway and DNS servers. Now I have a unique IP from my router for the OS and I'm on the internet! All is good. Thanks.

Jeff
03-17-2006, 08:04 AM
Good to hear! :cheers:

DragonOrta
03-17-2006, 01:25 PM
So you've got all of your VMs all sorted out with IPs? That's great to hear. :thumbs:

CaptainMooseInc
03-17-2006, 03:47 PM
yeah everything is sorted out and ready to go. All I need now is to figure out how to make my performance loss in my real computer less. I'm thinking 1GB ram instead of just the 512 I have now.

-Jeff

CaptainMooseInc
03-19-2006, 11:11 AM
All seems to be good. Now for a "cleanup" question.

Any way to get the VMware tab off of my taskbar and into the systray? I looked around and couldn't find anything in the program to do as such.

-Jeff

IronBits
03-19-2006, 01:46 PM
Right click the Start button, choose properties, select the 'Taskbar' tab
put a checkmark in the 'Group similar tasbar buttons'.
Won't get rid of all of them, but will reduce how many you have ;)

When you use Windows XP can group similar taskbar buttons, items are only grouped when the taskbar buttons get too small.
To change this behavior:
1. Use the Registry Editor to navigate to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced.

2. Create a new DWORD value name of TaskbarGroupSize and set the data value to:
0 - Group by age with the oldest group first. This is the default behavior.
1 - Group by size with the largest group first.
2 - Group any group of two or more icons.
3 - Group any group of three or more icons.

3. You must log off and log on for this setting to take effect.
If you follow the above registry settings... and use option 3 and have 3 or more VMs,
I found out if you actually de-select 'group similar taskbar buttons' and click apply, then re-select it and click apply, it works right away. :)