PDA

View Full Version : help on duel boot

LAURENU2
03-16-2006, 09:57 PM
As you might know I have been upgrading my network from WinMe to XP On the nodes that can meet the requirements for the Upgrade. But after the upgrade in one PC that I use for invoicing statements and accounting the program would not work right any more So I had to Uninstall XP and go back to WinME to send out my billing and statements.
Can some one explain in detail how to install XP in a duel config boot so I can still do my accounting when I need to and then use XP to crunch
Do I need 2 hard drives?
Or a startup program

Scoofy12
03-16-2006, 10:18 PM
I was under the impression that the XP installer had an option to leave the old OS on there and do dual-boot itself. if not, ntldr (windows NT/XP bootloader) can be configured to do dual boot using boot.cfg, but it's been a while for me, so someone who knows more about that should be able to help you.

IronBits
03-16-2006, 11:18 PM
The easiest way is to install a 2nd HDD, and install it to another drive.
Then switch the boot order in the BIOS to choose your OS ;)

Shish
03-17-2006, 04:58 AM
Lauren.
Sorry I didn`t see this earlier.
If you`re using the auto install XP, it won`t see that you have another OS in there. Normally you install the earlier OS first then the later one with most M$ OSs but you need to use a new config file and manual install to get M$ to dual boot.
Or use a complete other disk as IB says which is probably easier and keeps your OSs and files completely separate.

LAURENU2
03-17-2006, 06:29 PM
OK I guess I will pop in a Mobil HD rack
I will put my WinME on Ide2 and the Mobil rack with XP on Ide1
That way when I remove the rack it will look to Ide2 to boot
And when the rack is in it will look to Ide1 (XP) to boot:thumbs: