PDA

View Full Version : DPC Stampede on Rosetta

Fozzie
03-19-2006, 03:27 PM
Looks like Free DC may be in for a :fight:

IronBits
03-19-2006, 03:46 PM
I suggest that those that were running Rosetta and moved everything to DPAD, move just a few back then...
If we move just a few boxen back at a time, we can have a measured response, and increase as needed each day.
XS appears to be pushing for more of a ramp up as well...
We need to begin re-allocating our resources to reduce the daily gain XS has been making anyways...

We should be able to do this without crippling our fantastic DPAD effort :thumbs:

:banana:

em99010pepe
03-19-2006, 03:56 PM
I joined the fun.

Carlos

LAURENU2
03-19-2006, 05:12 PM
I suggest that those that were running Rosetta and moved everything to DPAD, move just a few back then...
If we move just a few boxen back at a time, we can have a measured response, and increase as needed each day.
XS appears to be pushing for more of a ramp up as well...
We need to begin re-allocating our resources to reduce the daily gain XS has been making anyways...

We should be able to do this without crippling our fantastic DPAD effort :thumbs:

:banana: :bouncy: I:bouncy: AM:bouncy: Getting:bouncy: A:bouncy:Workout:bouncy: For:bouncy: this:bouncy: one:bouncy:
Well I have 22 upgraded and moved over now!! I Should have another 6 Upgraded with Ram And OS by 3/25 But after that I need to get larger HD As well to do the upgrade to Rosetta I have 24 nodes to do ram & HD upgrades to so it will take bit to do as I my:hiya: self will have to pay for it:cry:
So until then they will run DPAD:hifi:

Chuck
03-19-2006, 05:43 PM
I'm in and running.

I agree with IronBits. Perhaps leave one of our 'heavy hitters' (one of the top 3) mostly there
while we smaller 'bauerchen' move over our nodes.

I moved 4 cpus. Still have reserve.

IronBits
03-19-2006, 06:58 PM
Alrighty then!!! :D
Let's see what happens to our score now in two days. :rock:
We can make another adjustment later if necessary :cheers:
Dang Lauren, I was just about to catch you to... ;)
:fireboun:

Chuck
03-19-2006, 07:36 PM
I can keep some on DPAD, but without my big machines
or the SGI, I can't touch 24+ nodes.

Guess I need to do even MORE :bang: building and tweaking.

At least I got BOINC running stable with the AMD client.
That was breakthrough enough for today :banana:

Lauren... I have TONS of memory that I'm sure you could use
What DOES one do? :umm: :D

Anyone good at true refrigerated cooling? I have one AMD cpu that
will run at over 5 Ghz, but I can't keep it cool with air or liquid for
more than about 15 minutes at a time.

I will behave now before Lauren :train: me over .

LOL

C.

LAURENU2
03-19-2006, 07:58 PM
Alrighty then!!! :D
Let's see what happens to our score now in two days. :rock:
We can make another adjustment later if necessary :cheers:
Dang Lauren, I was just about to catch you to... ;)
:fireboun:
Ya I was just about to say that in DPAD :smoking: I almost sent out the order to my Lawyer to send out the 30 eviction notice to you You sure lucked out this time:banana: :jester: :banana:

LAURENU2
03-19-2006, 08:55 PM
Dang that cooler is almost as big as the Mb :bang: I was going to sugest a Peltier since he already has a water system:rock:

PCZ
03-20-2006, 01:30 AM
Remember folks not everything you read on the internet is true.

Chuck
03-20-2006, 01:50 AM
:|ot|:
That's a really great cooler, but I have a question.....

How does one keep the ram from failing when overclocking
a CPU? Are there equivalent/similar RAM coolers

/* edit */
... or is it something else failing? I can't go much above 216 FSB,
which implies it's a RAM timing / controller issue. Either way,
My CPUs could really benefit from DDR2, but these boards don't
support it.

Also, like PCZ says about truth in advertizing.... knowing R134a,
I don't see how it can get to liquid state in this configuration
where pressure is held constant.

/* end edit */

[DPC]Bubbles
03-20-2006, 03:42 AM
Well. That certainly took you guys a while before you noticed we were organizing another stampede. :D XS was much quicker to notice. I guess next month is going to be a nice race for the daily top 1 and a very nice month for the project itself. :)

Chuck
03-20-2006, 03:52 AM
It may have taken some time to organize our own return stampede,
but you can give up now or later, your choice. You're still going to lose. :)

C.

Digital Parasite
03-20-2006, 11:48 AM
I have 24 nodes to do ram & HD upgrades to so it will take bit to do as I my:hiya: self will have to pay for it:cry:

Lauren u are da man! RAM I can see, but are those 24 nodes just for crunching DC? Your HDs are that small they can't handle a basic XP install with BOINC?

If you have to pay for the upgrades this time, who has been paying the other times? :rock:

LAURENU2
03-20-2006, 05:39 PM
Bubbles']Well. That certainly took you guys a while before you noticed we were organizing another stampede. :D XS was much quicker to notice. I guess next month is going to be a nice race for the daily top 1 and a very nice month for the project itself. :)
No we see and here every thing (Spys every where )
But we thought you needed a really BIG Headstart:lmao: :harhar:

LAURENU2
03-20-2006, 06:13 PM
Lauren u are da man! RAM I can see, but are those 24 nodes just for crunching DC? Your HDs are that small they can't handle a basic XP install with BOINC?

If you have to pay for the upgrades this time, who has been paying the other times? :rock:

If you have to pay for the upgrades this time, who has been paying the other times:lmao:
:lmao: Me ME and ME:bang:
The nodes do noting but crunch DC Just My luck I did not know FAD would end I Setup my system about 8 or 10 years ago with ME it only needed 600 MB to run I got good deals on 1.2G & 2.2G HD's that are the 24 that need it
The other 43 nodes are only need a ram stick added 26 of the 42 nodes already have been upgraded with Ram and OS
The XP upgrade is not easy since a lot of my nodes are headless and requires me to pull them out of the slot and plug in a mouse and keyboard to input the keys password and setup. That is what takes the longest
Something I found out if you upgrade to XP on a headless ( No keyboard or mouse) PC XP will not see the keyboard or mouse even if you reboot with them plugged in
:umm:
I just bought 6, WD 80 G HD's and 6 sticks of ddr ram:bang:

So I should have 12 more added within the next 2 weeks to bring the total to 38 nodes running Rosetta:beep:

Digital Parasite
03-21-2006, 11:44 AM
I got good deals on 1.2G & 2.2G HD's that are the 24 that need it

Wow, 1.2 and 2.2GB HDs... I haven't see those in a while. My new USB flash drive will have more than that. :smoking:

Ok, so now I understand why you need to upgrade the HDs. No way XP and BOINC will fit on that. Good luck with the upgrades. The XP install is even more insane if you do not have net access and have to activate each one over the phone.

LAURENU2
03-24-2006, 05:36 PM
Wow, 1.2 and 2.2GB HDs... I haven't see those in a while. My new USB flash drive will have more than that. :smoking:
Yes They were old and ran 24/7 for 70,000 Hrs :rock: Now there runnubg with 80G

Now Im up to 33 nodes :umm: 1/2 way there and more to come day by day

em99010pepe
03-30-2006, 03:23 PM
DPC stampede is on the 1st of april.

Carlos

Bullet2urBrain
03-30-2006, 07:07 PM
and boy are they talking some friendly smack over on my native turf of XS,

Let the battle begin boys, Show us why your #1 in so many projects

LAURENU2
03-30-2006, 09:35 PM
and boy are they talking some friendly smack over on my native turf of XS,

Let the battle begin boys, Show us why your #1 in so many projects
:bigtrain: :bigtrain: :bigtrain: :bigtrain: :bigtrain::bigtrain: :bigtrain: :bigtrain: :bigtrain: :bigtrain::bigtrain: :bigtrain:
The Dirty Dozen

IronBits
03-30-2006, 10:09 PM
and boy are they talking some friendly smack over on my native turf of XS Sounds like they are coming for you guys :scared:
I noticed they aren't over here doing the 'smack talk' because they know better :lmao:

:train::train::train::train::train::train:

Chuck
03-30-2006, 10:57 PM
Well, I say it's time to just :dump: and get it over with.
Free-DC is #1 or it isn't. Nothing half-xxx'd

IronBits
03-30-2006, 11:33 PM
Would be nice if we could focus a little more on this project...
Laurenu2 has moved a ton back over on it :thumbs: , with a bunch more yet to arrive soon. :D

We're doing ok in Rosetta, considering we are keeping the pressure up on DIMES and DPAD to.

We are/were kickin some serious butt over on DPAD. :)
We have to balance out what we are doing all over the place, lest we lose what we have gained in the others...
We'll get there eventually ;)

Wouldn't hurt to recruit some fresh blood either. We can always use more members :)

LAURENU2
03-31-2006, 02:34 AM
Well I have close to 1/2 my nodes upgraded and working it. I am looking to have about a 50 node commitment working it soon It just takes so long to fdisk , format . the new drives and then copy the old OS and then upgrade it
Good news I found 4 nodes that burned out That frees up 4 slots that run New crunchers and I just got a shipment with 4 new MB.

_Now _if_ PY222 does not get going soon he will his # 1 spot
:allhail:
Wakeup
.PY222.
Just Joking I know your redoing your network system just work faster:rock:

IronBits
03-31-2006, 03:23 AM
Casper XP is your friend! :D
http://www.fssdev.com/products/casperxp/

I do not ever use fdisk/format/install os/SP updates routine except for my main box when I want to start 'fresh' again ;)

That and a USB <> IDE cable
http://www.xpcgear.com/usbideadapter.html

and or one of these for SATA I or II drives
http://www.sataadapter.com/

Time is money :p ;)

You can always use one of those to mirror you main box HDD in case of a fubar to. ;)

LAURENU2
03-31-2006, 09:25 AM
With the old OS WinME I used the xcopy command (( xcopy c:\*.* d:\/c/h/e/k/r ) to make a backup or clone hard drives I am not sure if that works with XP

IronBits
03-31-2006, 09:58 AM
No, it won't. :(
However, using the tools above, it only takes ~10-15 minutes to mirror a drive.

Shish
03-31-2006, 09:45 PM
I use Acronis, both to image disks and clone to a new disk setup. I keep a basic image with everything I use installed of each system as well as backup images from along the way. You can even setup a system like the "restore disk" same as on a new Dell or similar when they don`t wanna give you a full install disk and an image is kept on a "secure partition" area of your drive then when you need to wipe and install from this or cd startup, or even from a built in Acronis startup screen (just like you can install System Restore to run as a startup option) it`s a very quick job to get a full fresh system up and running or back to any recent backup, especially handy for those awkward family systems which the kids keep trying to trash. Loads of features, easy to use and not expensive and continually updated. The disk clone works well, just kick it off from windoze, do a restart into Acronis (no system running, bit like dos with a gui0 and it does a clone of one drive to another. Remove the old drive and off you pop with resized partitions if you`ve got a bigger drive ( or smaller if you want). Data can either be left on the old drive or destroyed, as you wish.

Chuck
03-31-2006, 11:06 PM
I also have Acronis. I have the new version of Norton Ghost as well. Ghost will run now as an application of XP, not just standalone. It will take control of drives (via the LVM) and will do all the standard 'Ghost' functions including restore from image or clone.

I think it's down to personal preference now and which is faster & easier for you to use.

Chuck

Shish
04-01-2006, 10:41 PM
Helps if you get the last 2 Acronis for free though.:D
I had Enterprise Ghost back in the day but it was pretty complex and I left somebody else to do all the work. Not used the simpler Ghost since 2003 version and I`ve followed Acronis through several improving versions for the last few years and it`s neither expensive or hard to use as the gui has improved for windoze and it`s all wizard driven now.

Chuck
04-02-2006, 12:14 AM
Helps if you get the last 2 Acronis for free though.:D
I had Enterprise Ghost back in the day but it was pretty complex and I left somebody else to do all the work. Not used the simpler Ghost since 2003 version and I`ve followed Acronis through several improving versions for the last few years and it`s neither expensive or hard to use as the gui has improved for windoze and it`s all wizard driven now.

Sounds very nice indeed! I will have to do some re-evaluating. I have a few more machines to build/rebuild. I also will be popping in a HW raid SATA2. This should prove interesting. :) What I'm doing is upgrading all disks to a minimum of 200G drives. I currently have a few 20G, 30G, 80G, bunch of 128Gs and now the new influx of 200/250's. My goal is to get my total storage up over 3TB, which should not be difficult. I'm at 1.8T now with all small, slow drives.

I will keep the small drives since they make GREAT test configuration drives on my 'build jig' for new machine building. I can run up the mobo, cpu and mem before even putting it in the case, or on the 'mini farm' baker's rack.

C

/*edit: now you all know why I use the Silverstone Zeus 650W power supply.. LOL */

Shish
04-02-2006, 03:32 AM
I`ve just upgraded my old Highpoint raid5s on IDE to Sata2 with 2x4 Maxtor 250Gb 16Mb NCQ so I`m at 2Tb per machine less the raid5 overhead (lose a full disk on each :( ) and the streaming has gone up from around 70Mb to 108Mb continuous. Block size on the setup can make a big difference depending on what you do with them but going from even 64bit 66Mhz pci to 4x PCI-E is a helluva jump in output and just plain smoothness. The previous jagged graph on HD Tach is now smooth as a baby`s bum (I say that cos I`ve been nappy changing a new grandchild this weekend which also means I`m running out of "speed" in more ways than one :eek: ). Just playing with a new Asus motherboard as well which has the Silicon Image raid5 chip onboard but I haven`t had time to image to the new drives on it so not sure how it`s going to perform.
Appologies for talking hardware on this Rosetta topic....:umm: :Pokes: :hiya:

LAURENU2
04-02-2006, 03:52 AM
or on the 'mini farm' baker's rack.

I have a few of them 30 Ghz baker's racks
http://www.laurensnet.com/image/tower2.jpg

Chuck
04-02-2006, 04:43 AM
thank you both for the input. seems my initial calcs were grossly under calculated. I have 34 HD's here, all done the hard way (pci promise ultra, etc).

If I do a simple low-limit non-raid setup using 34 x 200G, that's a nice piece of change. I have high confidence in my WD drives, but don't like the thoughts of losing a whole raid... I am going to set it up, test it, and if I am not really comfortable with it, will put it back to individual disks.

I agree the boards sing along really nice. Even my IDE drives with SATA daughter-card adapters plugged into them are quick. The NUMA does a great job when moving data from machine to machine with Gigabit E-net and it doesn't interfere with whats going on elsewhere.

Going to be interesting.

As for the baker's rack, I believe I have enough space to bring up 28 nodes with what I have, using 12x12 pine boards to mount the mobos. Lauren, my concern is cooling the beasts when I get that many. I doubt I ever will. DC is a side project for me. The machines spend most of their time in 30+ day calculations per data set.

I will let you all know what happens tomorrow (later today as you read this), as I will be bringing up my fastest memory system built yet. It should be a screamer.

C.

IronBits
04-02-2006, 10:49 AM
:thumbs: We need all we can get! :smoking:
Use a box/floor fan (Patton works great on low) and keep a window open. ;)

Shish
04-03-2006, 12:49 AM
When I finished working for a living (for the 3rd time :D ) I took my office home with me (or at least, the contents of a 40ft PortaOffice) and then went back for a couple network cabinets with AC and anything ese I could find a use for....laser printers/plotter/A2 draughter etc etc.... :rotfl: :rotfl: . The network cabinets then initially housed the 15 or so odd rigs I set up at the time and the built in AC unit was ace as was the BigIron switch and routers but rising bills and lack of space due to family changes saw the cabinets go and the rigs are now down to 5, all of which serve the household video and general computing needs. 2 of them are main database servers and streamers so raid 5 is a must cos I learnt a bitter lesson with the Deathstars. Now I`m up to raid5 on all of them anyway as I just can`t stop upgrading. But the network cabinets are a miss for bare boards as they were ideal for that purpose and not too expensive to buy (second user?) even now. Most have at least a couple big fans and you can stuff everything inside and shut the door for a little bit of quiet (as long as the fans are decent). I dunno about bakers racks but in several bars I`ve set up farms in at various times (lovely cool ac cellars :D ) I`ve made use of plastic bakers baskets to both carry the kit to and from and set the boards on them upended.Very handy things and normally free cos the shops have to pay to dispose of them.
Now with just a couple rigs in my home office/workroom, I save money on the ac and just leave a window open (security windows which lock part open, don`t want to encourage burglars do we?....though most of the bad boys know better than to risk it :bonk: cos I wasn`t a HV transmitter guy for nothing and 20Kv capacitors can be very discouraging for burglars :D ).
I`ve lost an odd drive (well over the normal 5 years old) since the Deathstar fest but raid 5 doesn`t bother and just rebuilds. Lost a whole card as well and still just rebuilt.And all my systems work hard, 24/7/365. Now all I want is for them to get some more length on the 10Gb network wires cos wifi is still far too slow for a busy streaming network. And I hope they don`t want these trial ones back (not getting them anyway) cos (a) I couldn`t afford to buy them and (b) it`s too easy to get used to the need for speed. Gb was good but 10Gb is 10x as good.:rotfl: But I don`t think you`re gonna see 10Gb L2/L3 switch fabric getting down to <$100 anytime soon.
Anyway, another machine upgraded for the daughter with an A64 from an Athlon will be online soon and working for it`s living doing Dimes and Rosetta for the team. Not a dual but at least it`ll be on 24/7.