PDA

View Full Version : Running Again

Paratima
03-21-2006, 07:58 PM
Yay! Graeme got it figured out. Musta been a tough one to take all day to fix, but we're running again. :mouserun:

alpha_fruit
03-21-2006, 08:16 PM
How long will it run this time?:Pokes:

Paratima
03-21-2006, 09:31 PM
Ha! If you think I'm gonna bet on that one... :lmao:

Well, they're trying. Graeme sez he's scheduling some serious work on the whole project after classes let out this year. Getting time to fiddle with the bits is a big problem. Sure hope he gets it worked out. The thing for us to do, I guess, is have another project handy to switch to.

I don't know why they're having so many server crashes, though. They're running Apache 2.0.50 (Fedora) which I thought was pretty stable. Oh well, as long as it's running, hand me another molecule... :bouncy:

alpha_fruit
03-24-2006, 06:01 AM
WOW a whopping 4 turned yesterday, for the past few days many error messages and no work. The is a lot disappointing. I feel like we are just here to let whomever know we are supporting the e0n project and they just don't care if it works right or not.

I'm sure there is a better way to keep this project going rather than zzzz's or cannot connect, or failed to connect.

I really would love to have an answer to these dilemmas.:bonk: :bang:

Paratima
03-24-2006, 01:33 PM
Yeah, it's really limping along. :sleepy: A big problem here is the difficulty these supertech people have communicating with us mortals. They have to think about the science as well as the implementation, while we're just trying to understand why the thing runs so slow. It's not easy to get a simple description of a complex problem, but this quote sheds some light on it:

"...one of the reasons the server does not respond to clients for long periods of time is that the calculation has found two states (geometries of the atoms) which are connected by a very low energy barrier. This means that the system will oscillate between these two states many times before needing to find another place to go. This oscillation is all done by the server -- the clients are only needed to find new possible states. We could treat these low barrier states in a special way. I just need to find a bright student willing to dive into this project."

May I quote you on that, Dr. Henkelman? Oops! I just did. :blush:

He also said he's considering moving the project to BOINC to help with the network reliability issues. That would also make it easier to switch between projects if (when) the server gets hung.

Here's hoping! Classes end in May...

Paratima
03-25-2006, 02:33 PM
WOW! :eek:

Dunno what happened since yesterday, but the molecules are FLYIN'!!

If you want to pile up some points, get yore boxen hopping. :clap: :rock: :bouncy: :banana:

Paratima
04-11-2006, 07:20 PM
Not setting anything on fire, but up & running again. :walking: