PDA

View Full Version : Question about VMs and access to the Internet for "normal" functions.

jasong
04-04-2006, 04:30 PM
I've been thinking about joining this project with some VMs, but I have a question about port access.

In my family, we have 3 computers sharing an Internet connection. While I'm sure my computer would get bogged down long before there's a bandwidth issure, I'm not so sure how many unique concurrent connections can happen with the router before there are problems.

It says on the router it's a SB4101 Surfboard(whatever that means).

Googling now: It says it can support up to 32 users, so I guess I can use that as an answer, though I wonder how many concurrent users it can support if they're using BitTorrent.

Shish
04-04-2006, 09:59 PM
The Surfboard isn`t a router mate, that`s your cable modem. Normally your router should be good for upto 250+ separate users although some restrict their pool of addresses to about 132 . Depends what address pool it`s taking the addresses from as there is a physical limit both on the total number of addresses allocated to the lan depending on the start address and class of address used.
Doubt if you`ll manage to overload your lan with the probable number of VMs you can run unless you`re gonna be spending a ton of money on memory to run them in and even then I doubt you`d have any trouble with the bandwidth cos Dimes uses mostly pings and icmp messages which are very small. Only the data upload and download to the servers consumes much bandwidth.