PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP non boot issue

gopher_yarrowzoo
04-06-2006, 01:01 AM
Hmm Bosses home PC suddenly stopped booting up into Windows XP Home, even in safe mode, now nothing has changed in the BIOS or hardware wise yet it "froze" then refused to boot afterwards.
Boot into any of the 3 safemodes and well it hangs here:
disk(0)/rdisk(0)/partition(2)/mup.sys or something like that.
It's a Compaq Pressario - XP2200+ system with 256Mb of ram and onboard everything.
I was able to get into the XP partition via a util called NTFS4Dos but got no further. Any ideas people? I downloaded the XP boot disk set and well it don't, Boot from them that is... Freaking TYPICAL.

IronBits
04-06-2006, 01:32 AM
"MUP stands for "Multiple UNC Provider"

http://www.google.com/search?as_q=&num=50&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=mup.sys&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=lang_en&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&as_rights=&safe=off

You are not alone apparently ;)

http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwboard/forum/97354.html <---

Paratima
04-06-2006, 08:55 AM
Hardly anything good starts with the word "multiple". :eek:

Fozzie
04-06-2006, 09:33 AM
slave the HDD on a working XP system and recover all the personal data.

Next run chkdsk d: /f (if the 2nd HDD goes on as D:)

Pop it back in and see if it will now boot if it does go for it if it doesn't I'd just reimage from the HP provided media.

gopher_yarrowzoo
04-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Oh it chkdsk's fine, no errors I don't think it's "Mup" that's the problem but once I have the boss talk to "THE Boss" - Im sure those who are married know what I mean by that, and don't try and say "your in charge", they are just letting you think that - and try and find the recovery CD.
I may just try and slave a HDD to it, boot with my Win XP Pro cd and install that and see what I can see, darn XP is fine till it goes wrong and then you need a freakinG PHD almost to be able to do anything lol.
IB - Yeah I know I did a Google on "Mup.sys" the number of results was astounding that and how long it's been a problem, i mean swapping out Hardware, software, just leaving it, freaking WEIRD shit, but then again it's a Microsoft "Product" what can us mere poor non-nix mortals expect.

gopher_yarrowzoo
04-07-2006, 12:50 PM
The "HP" supplied Media isn't supplied it's a partition on the HDD labeled as "Presario_RP" now Im meant to be able to hit "F10" and it loads this.. well it goes about it's nice load screen, kicks into a "graphics type mode" and fails so either it's the onboard graphics card that's went ping or the mem block the graphics card uses has gone (since the POST mem check don't check this block - really helpful eh). It's under hardware warrenty so we'll see it's going back to PC World so you can erm all wish it luck :lmao:

slave the HDD on a working XP system and recover all the personal data.

Next run chkdsk d: /f (if the 2nd HDD goes on as D:)

Pop it back in and see if it will now boot if it does go for it if it doesn't I'd just reimage from the HP provided media.

gopher_yarrowzoo
05-05-2006, 06:56 PM
Got the problem finally resolved last week, i've been so busy didn't have time to post about it..
Hmm wanna guess what it was?
HDD - nope
Memory - nope
Mobo - nope
PCI cards - nope
PSU - nope
CPU - check!
It had developed a fault now what the feck I thought, the motherboard was meant to do a check on the CPU to see if it worked and was returning the correct answers, how can it load half-way into windows and then Error out!
Thankfully free of charge replacement - boss happy and more memory added now machine flies (literally!)

Matt
05-05-2006, 08:20 PM
CPU wouldn't have been killed by excessive crunching now would it? ;)