PDA

View Full Version : Would like something to pause a process while the computer's in use.

jasong
04-12-2006, 07:20 PM
Maybe there aren't enough people that have this problem for it to matter, but...

Sometimes people want to run programs that are resource hogs and can interfere with normal usage, but somehow get rid of the problems of running them during normal usage.

I was wondering if it would be possible for someone to make a program that works similar to a screensaver. It would watch the activity of a computer. If the computer were idle for more than, say, 5 minutes, then it would start up the resource hog, but it would pause the program as soon as mouse or keyboard movement were detected. If it's easier to get it done if the offending program stays in memory, that's fine.

Is this possible? And if so, could it be applied arbitrarily?

When I run certain programs, my Opera browser takes forever to open up, but when there are NO resource hogs(most decent DC apps don't count as resource hogs) it opens up within 5 seconds.

Dark Angel
04-14-2006, 05:46 AM
Just a thought, but under windows you can set the priority of a process. If you set it low enough, like DC projects do, then it's paused when ever you do anything with a higher priority.