PDA

View Full Version : Smoothwall Firewall/Router

IronBits
04-26-2006, 12:21 AM
Ok, got it installed!
Had to go with the Grizzly 3.0 Alpha release for it to recognize the Intel Pro/1000 GT network adapter.
Fired up a ton of Dimes clients so I can test and compare it to my Dlink Gamers router.

moddolicous
05-02-2006, 04:13 PM
Well, from your output it seems to be working well. Can you answer just 1 questions for me? Do you have to have 2 nics, or how does it work?? The only way I could think of it working was that you route the cable from the router one of the NICs, and then you have one NIC that has 4 outputs and send them to the comps. Is that the basic idea??

Bok
05-02-2006, 04:32 PM
Yes,

that's the general idea. In effect it's just a bridge with filtering and nat rules and such.

Bok

IronBits
05-02-2006, 08:03 PM
GREEN NIC goes to your Switch/hub that can have many ports for many computers.
RED NIC goes to your cablemodem/dsl/isp connection and should be DHCP.

Shish
05-02-2006, 10:34 PM
I`ve got the server version of the Intel cards with 3 ports on one and 2 on t`other. Might need to figure out the config for that and have to dig the specs out.
Wonder if Cisco IOS would run on a box ? Had an engineering test prog somewhere to do something like that. I know you can run virtual routers cos we used them in the labs..... so many questions, so little time.
Think the memory is dying on the C again cos the logs say it`s swamped, damn pain in the derrierre that thing.
What`s the other soft router there used to be floating around IB? Got a copy somewhere on a backup dvd I think. Clarke or summat?
New Google 3d prog just out for download from a company they took over...something else to play with :confused:

moddolicous
05-02-2006, 10:45 PM
I still dont really understand lol. is there a router involved, or would you have to buy like 4 nic cards to go to 4 different comps? Is this how it would go:
Modem - Comp (red NIC) then
green nic - switch (router) -comps
Thanks for your help so far. Sorry to hijack your thread ironbits.

IronBits
05-03-2006, 06:41 AM
The Smoothwall computer will be the ROUTER.
A quick google search on the subject and viola ;)

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/diagram/share-router-hub.asp
http://www.homenethelp.com/web/diagram/images/router-with-hub.gif

Shish
05-03-2006, 11:01 AM
Found it....:rock:
Clarke firewall and server system, full version to run from cd or server os.
Almost a full set of Cisco IOS and an Apache setup plus a ton of other stuff.
Have to find time to do some reading though cos it comes with a pdf which has 346 pages. :eek: but at least I can handle the Cisco config well enough and it will handle any type of network cards, especially the Intels and the wifi stuff will run off Cisco anyway, not that I use much wifi in here now cos it ain`t secure. I can pick up 4 neighbours using Telewest set top and Netgear wifi which are wide open.
So, a pair of 900 Xeons on passive coolers in a Compaq box with a trio of 2.1Gb mini scusis and I should get a bit of DC out of it.
I`m also getting rid of all those plug in psu things and running everything from my old, super efficient sm psu I built for radio stuff a while back. At least we won`t have anymore 5v-7v-9v-12v plug things at near melting point.
Got so many of the damn things, this room is near a fire hazard with 6 and 10 plug extensions from the Ring 45amp main.

Edit...
On second thoughts, I`m sure I`ve also got the 3com stuff and the BigIron software somewhere......:hifi: need to look further into my library (packrats never throw anything away :smoking: )

moddolicous
05-03-2006, 07:26 PM
That pic definetly helps ironbits, thanks. Just to clarify, does that mean I would have to have say 3nics in one comp (one for the internet to come into, and 2 to go to the other comps??) Sorry for all the questions guys, as this sounds like a really good idea.

IronBits
05-03-2006, 08:13 PM
TWO NICs, one to the ISP (RED), one to your hub/switch (GREEN)
All computers get plugged into the hub/switch.

moddolicous
05-03-2006, 08:44 PM
Alright, now I got it. Thanks everyone (especially ironbits).

guru
09-30-2006, 02:58 PM
You should give monowall a look. It lacks some features from smoothwall but it adds a few nice features and is simple to run. I love the bandwidth filtering.

Slow myspace for you! :umm: