PDA

View Full Version : Large BOINC deployment on Windoze... advice needed

PY 222
04-27-2006, 03:04 PM
Alright guys, like the title says it all, I am planning to move the DPAD fleet over to R@H for the CASP7 trial.

I've got about 40 Windows machines that I need to move and thus I was wondering if any of you guys have any advice for me before I start on this?

Thanks.

LAURENU2
04-27-2006, 05:18 PM
:rock: Yes order more to take there place on DPAD :Pokes:

Bok
04-27-2006, 05:33 PM
I know Ethan (Housing and Food Services) at Rosetta did exactly this. If no one here has also done it, I can get in touch with him for you (actually he's registered on the board so can be PM'd).

Bok

PY 222
04-27-2006, 06:09 PM
I know Ethan (Housing and Food Services) at Rosetta did exactly this. If no one here has also done it, I can get in touch with him for you (actually he's registered on the board so can be PM'd).

Bok

Bok,

Yes, I would appreciate that alot. He could post how he did it in this forum so others will be able to learn from him.

To me, setting up a Windows BOINC client is such a hassle. Too much work involved. So, lets hope Ethan has a better solution to this or else I am going to have to do it manually, one by one. :(

Marky-UK
04-28-2006, 02:31 AM
What I do is copy over the main boinc files (exes, dlls, etc) to the new PC, remotely install BOINC as a service, copy the account*.xml files that I want that PC to run, and then start the service.

The step that's the biggest hassle is installing as a service, but that's only because I haven't got it scripted and have to do it manually each time (just needs a few things typed into the service installer app I use). I'm sure it must be possible to streamline this further, I just don't do enough PCs to make it worthwhile.

JustEmazing
04-29-2006, 01:37 AM
NOOOO PY! Don't do it!
*whispering subliminal DPAD murmerings*

:scared:

PY 222
04-29-2006, 12:54 PM
NOOOO PY! Don't do it!
*whispering subliminal DPAD murmerings*

:scared:

I've got to mate. DPAD is just getting boring now that Foz is leaving.

Thanks Marky-UK for that info.

IronBits
04-29-2006, 01:30 PM
There was one hell-of-an-effort by the whole Team on DPAD! :smoking:
We closed the gap on the leaders a whole bunch, and stomped a few teams, during our spree there. :thumbs:
Maybe Fozzie could give a full report of the carnage. ;)

:allhail:
Those that want to keep the pressure up in DPAD :rock:
Those that want to shift their weight and give us a hand in Rosetta again. :hifi:

Exci
05-09-2006, 03:48 PM
Sorry, haven't trolled here in awhile. Great memory, Bok :)

I'd be happy to help describe how we have our set up. Give me an email at eko a t u.washington.edu.

In short, we have a domain startup script that looks for boinc, and if not installed, executes a msi on a server. It's really handy since we've been able to forget about it and all the new machines latch on right away.

-Ethan

PY 222
05-09-2006, 04:18 PM
Exci, thanks but I have already fully migrated the Windows boxes over to R@H.

I did it the old fashioned way. :looney:

ladypcer
05-09-2006, 07:35 PM
Alright guys, like the title says it all, I am planning to move the DPAD fleet over to R@H for the CASP7 trial.

I've got about 40 Windows machines that I need to move and thus I was wondering if any of you guys have any advice for me before I start on this?

Thanks.

Yep. Don't do it. :rotfl:
durn.. too late.:hair:

PY 222
05-09-2006, 10:34 PM
Yep. Don't do it. :rotfl:
durn.. too late.:hair:

Yeap.. too late. If you had say no to me migrating, then I'd just keep it all at DPAD.

:lmao:

ladypcer
05-10-2006, 04:11 AM
Yeap.. too late. If you had say no to me migrating, then I'd just keep it all at DPAD.

:lmao:

Well, a girl can try. :D