PDA

View Full Version : Backing Off

Paratima
04-28-2006, 02:41 PM
Well, turns out my problems were my router, not the much-maligned cable modem. At least that's solved.

I was going to ramp up, but instead am ramping down. I will add more boxen to this interesting project, but only when I can add somebody ELSE's PC. With four of these running in my house, my net surfing was seriously impacted. I suspect it does something to muck up the local DNS servers. Every time I'd switch to a new site, it would take a looooong time and sometimes even fail, connecting successfully after the second or third try. Not cool. :confused:

Down to one boxen DIMESing at home & one at a friend's. Too much overhead, even with a light CPU load. Anyone else have this problem? I suppose it could be related to my local RoadRunner ISP.

IronBits
04-28-2006, 07:45 PM
I had that problem...
it was completely solved with a Smoothwall box. :)
110 Clients and still have a 45ms ping time when online gaming in Quake III :D

Paratima
04-28-2006, 08:08 PM
OK, great Guru of the Far West, I give up. :)

What is a Smoothwall box, where do they come from, how do ya hook 'em up?

Oh yeah, and how much do they cost?

And yes, I have been behind the door for a while.

Paratima
04-28-2006, 08:31 PM
Never mind, IB. Google to the rescue.

Got the ISO, reading the docs. Thanks for the tip.

I'll let you know if it works / how bad it crashed / whether I can interpret the instructions. :D

IronBits
04-28-2006, 08:42 PM
:rotfl: I knew you'd figure it out if you were interested. :)
I just came back from an online gaming session, pings were 23ms - 43ms.
Need 2 NICs, GREEN (LAN) is configured 1st (like your current router LAN IP), then next choice, disable ISDN, then disable modem, then choose GREEN/RED setup, configure RED (WAN) ususally DHCP, reboot, done ;)

Don't need a monitor, keyboard or mouse after that either. It's the only thing that can run on it, no other programs, not even a DC client :(
Use the oldest POS box you can find, 2-10GB HDD is suffice, 256mb ram is overkill.
Once it reboots, http://192.168.#.#:81 whatever you gave it for an IP. Use admin for login ID, password, whatever you assigned it. ;)
Enable DHCP and your done... has great traffic graphs to.
Register it, only 'host' information is sent, no personal data and no cost for Smoothwall Express 2.0 :thumbs:

Paratima
04-28-2006, 09:24 PM
Cool beans. Sounds too easy.

I'll have to dig one of my old POS boxen out of the garage tomorrow & see if I can light a fire in one.

Thanks! You da man, as always. :thumbs:

thewildblue
04-30-2006, 05:42 PM
No chance of running something from the command line then as it seems a shame to have a box running and not doing a DC project. Its a linux shell after all.....

:rotfl: I knew you'd figure it out if you were interested. :)
I just came back from an online gaming session, pings were 23ms - 43ms.
Need 2 NICs, GREEN (LAN) is configured 1st (like your current router LAN IP), then next choice, disable ISDN, then disable modem, then choose GREEN/RED setup, configure RED (WAN) ususally DHCP, reboot, done ;)

Don't need a monitor, keyboard or mouse after that either. It's the only thing that can run on it, no other programs, not even a DC client :(
Use the oldest POS box you can find, 2-10GB HDD is suffice, 256mb ram is overkill.
Once it reboots, http://192.168.#.#:81 whatever you gave it for an IP. Use admin for login ID, password, whatever you assigned it. ;)
Enable DHCP and your done... has great traffic graphs to.
Register it, only 'host' information is sent, no personal data and no cost for Smoothwall Express 2.0 :thumbs:

IronBits
04-30-2006, 07:03 PM
I'd be surprised if it had the libraries installed necessary to run anything but what it comes with.
Besides, the last thing I want is a non-smoothwall app taking out my router.