PDA

View Full Version : Servers Down?

TheOtherZaphod
06-28-2002, 06:31 PM
It has been over 2 and a half hours since I have seen my numbers change. Same for everyone I check. Me thinks the receiver is off the hook... Anyone available to check it out?

Scoofy12
06-28-2002, 07:26 PM
server's up for me right now. I just uploaded no problem

grobinette
06-28-2002, 08:01 PM
I have not seen an upload since 4PM ET - hmmm :smoking:
Just checking to see if anyone else was in the same boat.

coach
06-28-2002, 08:30 PM
Same boat! with Status 909 structure write error(s) on many machines
I believe these errors are server disconnects (TCP/IP)

FoBoT
06-28-2002, 08:45 PM
how come these problems happen on a FRIDAY afternoon! :bang:

help!!!

fix the server please!!!! :scared:

grobinette
06-28-2002, 08:46 PM
I had that status 909 error on at least one machine too. Is that going to be fatal to the work that was completed or will it all upload eventually.

coach
06-28-2002, 09:09 PM
This is in the FAQ

How often is the server contacted exactly and how does this relate to buffering (caching)?

The client attempts to contact the server every 5000 structures, and every time the program is started (for the text client, it tries when you hit Q to exit rather than when you start). It will buffer up to 6 sets of data before going to 'dumb' mode (i.e. 30000 structures if you don't start and stop it several times) if it can't contact the server. Once you go online and run the program again, it will upload everything in the buffer and clear the buffer. I'll make this (the magic number 6) configurable in the official version 1.01.

So I gather your data is fine but it'll eventually just hold and stop processing if the server outtage goes on to long.

grobinette
06-28-2002, 09:18 PM
The work-around for the six sets of data is is to edit the file foldit.bat in the folder adding the -df switch:

@echo off
.\foldtrajlite -f protein -n native -df

I have set this up on all my machines so I should be fine for an indefinate period.

IronBits
06-28-2002, 09:29 PM
The -df option allows up to 66 sets, IIRC...

TheOtherZaphod
06-28-2002, 09:58 PM
Think you are mistaken Scoofy, Drys stats show you with a string of zeros about 5 hours long. But if you are saying that your uploads are going ok, then maybe the trouble is only in the stats side. Coach is reporting server side errors. Me, I am leaving my hands off of my clients for the time being. That isn't always the best course of action, but it is what I am doing at the moment.

IronBits
06-28-2002, 11:28 PM
It appears the Server is taking and giving WUs, but, the STATS are not being updated... I don't see any backlog of WUs building up here on any computer.

IronBits
06-29-2002, 03:30 AM
I am getting Status 909 structure write error as well.
This makes me think the Server is too FULL to take any more results, and the client marks it as sent. Thus the reason there is no build up of WUs on the HDD. :(
I hope that is not the case...

hallmar
06-29-2002, 05:35 AM
Aaah, glad to see twasn't only me ;) The 909 error had me perplexed for a while :rolleyes:

Btw, gday from Overclockers Australia ... A new smallish team with plenty of heart . We probably would have a fair few more members and would rival some of the bigger teams output if we werent doing battle for first place with the [H] in F@H atm ...

Be seein ya :thumbs:

Digital Parasite
06-29-2002, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by FoBoT
how come these problems happen on a FRIDAY afternoon! :bang:

Not only that but it is a long weekend up here in Canada so the DF crew will probably not be back at work until TUESDAY :shocked:

Jeff.

grobinette
06-29-2002, 07:59 AM
:bang: arghh and I was concerned about the changeover being late next Wednesday.

I'd love to leave those machines crunching over the 4th of July holiday and not have to go in and baby sit them.

Richard Clyne
06-29-2002, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by IronBits
The -df option allows up to 66 sets, IIRC...

I asked then same question a couple of months ago and got a different answer http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=748

Has this changed?

BTW due to this problem uploading I am sure I have lost nearly 50,000 structures.:bang: :swear:

Ramon and Bernhard
06-29-2002, 10:35 AM
We lost all Points on all machines - around 760.000 Points
are gone for good.
Compliment to this great Project.............
we running SETI until the bugs are out here.
It locks like this is the best way to keep Users happy ...
:D :D :D :D

KWSN_Millennium2001Guy
06-29-2002, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Ramon and Bernhard
We lost all Points on all machines - around 760.000 Points
are gone for good.
Compliment to this great Project.............
we running SETI until the bugs are out here.
It locks like this is the best way to keep Users happy ...
:D :D :D :D

I personally lost over 2 million work units. I'm not worried about it. Just keep on crunching! I believe that the best workunits were saved, just not added to the stats. No big deal.

Ni!:D