PDA

View Full Version : Merge Hosts

Darkness Productions
05-12-2006, 09:07 AM
Did Rosetta disable the merge hosts functionality, or am I missing it?

rshepard
05-12-2006, 09:16 AM
They had some problems with it, and had to disable it.

Darkness Productions
05-12-2006, 09:17 AM
Damn. Any idea when it might be back? I've got some machines needing to be merged...

rshepard
05-12-2006, 09:27 AM
I wouldn't expect it to be soon. Apparently they have to update some database software on the server, and I doubt they'll try to do that in the middle of CASP.

Darkness Productions
05-12-2006, 09:31 AM
Double damn... It's just mysql that they're using... shouldn't be too much to upgrade it :(

PY 222
05-12-2006, 11:26 AM
This is in their technical news:

http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/rah_technical_news.php

March 22, 2006
Recently our database server has been crushed repeatedly resulting in webserver slowdowns. Tracking all of this down has been a real challenge. This AM it was noticed that during every slowdown someone was trying to 'merge' two client hosts. After eliminating everything else as a possibility we were left to wonder if this merging of hosts could really be a problem. After disasterously wasteful searching of many unrelated issues, it was discovered that SETI@home had this very problem last month [see the entry for February 1, 2006 on the SETI@home Technical News Page]. We have disabled host merges until we can upgrade the database software.

It'll probably be back when they upgrade the BOINC server side code.

Darkness Productions
05-12-2006, 03:40 PM
Yeah. I followed the S@H information. They said that upgrading mysql to 4.1.x solved the problem...

Hopefully soon :)