PDA

View Full Version : Calling for (some) backup!

CaptainMooseInc
05-13-2006, 04:26 PM
Alright, not a real crucial thing here but if anyone has some extra bandwith to spare for this project it'd be nice to get you onboard. Current version available is 1.2.7 but version 1.2.8 should be released soon (I'm guessing in a week or so).

Team Norway is currently ranked 3rd overall but #1 in daily production. They are out-producing us by about 4,000,000 URLs/day.

I'm using about 4.6mbps down to produce ~3 million/day. So really what we need is about 5 people to give only 1mbps down a day 24/7 connection. So if you're running a fast connection (at least 4mbps down) and don't mind giving up just 1mbps to the program it'd be greatly appreciated!

I can help anyone get setup if you're having trouble.

-Jeff

P.S. This program USED to be a CPU hog. With the current release it uses between 0-5% max really unless it's archiving which takes very little time. It runs beautifully beside my OGR project.

-Jeff

pogueatl
05-13-2006, 07:35 PM
what is the project and what do i have to do to do it?

PY 222
05-13-2006, 07:52 PM
what is the project and what do i have to do to do it?

http://www.majestic12.co.uk/

This project is about a distributed search engine, crawling the entire Internet to gather the websites and index all the information together.

Just download the client from here: http://www.majestic12.co.uk/projects/dsearch/download.php

Once installed, you will be asked to register.

PY 222
05-16-2006, 03:52 PM
Looks like PCZ has returned to Majestic12.

Welcome back mate.

You up for a race?

PCZ
05-16-2006, 04:02 PM
Sorry PY can't race i'm afraid.
I have limited resources at the moment.

PY 222
05-16-2006, 04:14 PM

No worries on the race. Glad to have you back producing for the Team. :cheers:

CaptainMooseInc
05-18-2006, 06:25 PM
Hey PCZ, did someone make you stop using MJ12 or something? Saw you appear on the radar again then disappear.

We're down by about 1 million URLs/day still guys. Though it'd be many many years until someone can catch us at our current rate, I'm still hoping to achieve about 15 million URLs/day in overall production which would outpace Team Norway by 3 million URLs/day.

That means we need at least another 3-5mbps of constant data transfer going on. If nothing else that's 3-5 people all capping their nodes at 1mbps.

Remember, this program interferes so little with other DC projects now it's not funny. It used to lock up my computer it was such a resource hog but now it's not noticeable anymore.

-Jeff

em99010pepe
05-18-2006, 06:42 PM
Jeff,

I will try to install on my work machine. Please post here all necessary links.

Carlos

PY 222
05-18-2006, 07:13 PM
I am just waiting for the next version to come out so I don't have to upgrade again.

Once its out, I'll install it on a few other boxes that I have ready for this project.

Bok
05-18-2006, 07:20 PM
I'll throw it on a machine this weekend and use some of my 8Mb connection up :)

Bok

riptide
05-19-2006, 09:27 AM
Jeff,

I will try to install on my work machine. Please post here all necessary links.

Carlos
Careful now... this thing REALLY does devour download. You don't want to get in trouble at work for 250+ gig download on one computer for one month! Maybe keep it throttled down a little unless you are sure you can get away with it!:thumbs:

CaptainMooseInc
05-19-2006, 10:55 AM
Only 250GB of DL? Haha. I'm sitting near 465GB of download in just May alone on my home PC and cable modem. :)

Carlos, just goto: http://www.majestic12.co.uk/projects/dsearch/download.php

and pick your client. You register through the client and if you've already registered before just enter the username you used and the password to go with it.

-Jeff

em99010pepe
05-19-2006, 11:37 AM
Thank you both.
I don't have problems at work with the bandwidth, don't worry.
I will install it as soon as I end some tests I have to make.

Carlos

riptide
05-19-2006, 09:16 PM
Only 250GB of DL? Haha. I'm sitting near 465GB of download in just May alone on my home PC and cable modem. :)

Carlos, just goto: http://www.majestic12.co.uk/projects/dsearch/download.php

and pick your client. You register through the client and if you've already registered before just enter the username you used and the password to go with it.

-Jeff
Hardcore.... I hit 10gig in about half a day!. So i had to stop... moving in a week or so to another house with a diff BB connection...should be interesting!

CaptainMooseInc
05-19-2006, 10:41 PM
The server got moved today so there's problems uploading right now but down is pretty alright. So far I've used about 43GBs today. I do about 40-60GB of transfer a day. :)

-Jeff

em99010pepe
05-20-2006, 07:44 AM
Bad news guys, I'm having problems with the client, it can't connect to internet, maybe I need a proxy server!?!?!?

Carlos

Shish
05-20-2006, 12:08 PM
OK, I`m conscious for an hour or so as the intravenous feeding isn`t going well apparently so I`ll try and put it on one of my machines with the help of the gorgeous Deidre who`s typing this for me.
May not be able to answer as I`ll be out or on heavy morphine and the 24hr nurse staff has better things to do.

This man has me severely embarrassed and blushing...so he says. Love the smilies here, may sign up myself.
Regards all, Deidre.

CaptainMooseInc
05-20-2006, 04:40 PM
Carlos, head over to the MJ12 forum and tell your problem over there. I've never had a problem getting the client to connect but Alex (project manager) should be able to help you fairly quickly. :)

-Jeff

em99010pepe
05-20-2006, 04:54 PM
Carlos, head over to the MJ12 forum and tell your problem over there. I've never had a problem getting the client to connect but Alex (project manager) should be able to help you fairly quickly. :)

-Jeff

Jeff,

I don't think so. Thanks anyway.

Carlos

CaptainMooseInc
05-20-2006, 05:29 PM
I'll talk to Alex for you and see if I can't find something out.

Also try shutting down the client. Go into the command prompt and type: ipconfig /flushdns

on the box you are putting it on. Alex just opened a port 80 connection for the server so the program can be more widely used at businesses and the like.

Any help I can be I'll try. :)

-Jeff

PY 222
05-23-2006, 02:40 PM

Looks like PCZ is back in business again.

Welcome back mate. :thumbs:

CaptainMooseInc
05-25-2006, 05:05 AM
Still getting stomped in dailys. Seems like XS and Team Norway are really ramping up the heat.

PY222 seems to have gone from a daily usage of about 10mbps to about 8.5.

I've had lots of problems with Comcast this week and the Internet and Cable around here going out a lot so I'm slowly coming back.

If there's anyone else out there with a cable modem or better lemme know via PM and I'll help you get setup and work through any and all problems you may have until we get it running.

-Jeff

Darkness Productions
06-14-2006, 12:04 PM
I've got machines on 4 different connections right now, pushing as much as I can. Best part is, I actually own all 4 machines, on all of the different connections :)

If only I could find a fifth:tempted:

CaptainMooseInc
06-14-2006, 07:31 PM
Well Comcast and I are in a brutal battle right now over bandwith usage. They said 645MBs in a month of downstream is too much and I disagree strongly (even though I really used 1.1TBs of downstream). So yeah their computers can't track worth nothing. I doubt I'll come out on top but I'm trying to collect evidence via Customer Support and other resources to get enough of them to go to the local TV station and have them help me fight them (they do it all the time).

-Jeff

jasong
06-14-2006, 09:03 PM
Just to let you guys know, I've come back on board with an average downstream throughput of a little under 1,800KBits a second. It's interfering a little with my other projects(I have to use a lot of compression because of my comparitively low upload rate), but I'd like to see if I can get in the top100 users. Right now I'm at 145th place.

Haltech
07-01-2006, 07:14 PM
Whats up guys!

CaptainMooseInc
07-01-2006, 09:24 PM
Jasong....since you're doing a little under 1.8mbps I've cranked mine up to 2.1mbps just to stay on top of you. As of about July 15th I'm going to crank it up to the full 6mbps to use the last half a month to month I'll be in this apartment and Comcast can shut me off all they want cause I won't live here anymore. :)

@Haltech:

Heya, you should come over to the FDC side. We are more Xtreme. :)

CaptainMooseInc
07-10-2006, 08:08 PM
Just wanted to point out that XtremeSystems is killing us in dailys. They still have awhile to go to catch us but they're definately closing the gap faster than before.

DragonOrta
07-12-2006, 02:54 PM
Does this remind you guys of another bandwidth related project? :D

CaptainMooseInc
07-12-2006, 04:23 PM
If Comcast wasn't such d***heads about bandwidth I'd still be pumping out enough URLs to compete with you guys! :-p

Comcast has a decent offer for a $69.95/mo business connection rated at 6mbps/1mbps. No bandwidth limitations. Problem is that it requires a 3yr contract. Something I'm not willing to make. :-p

DragonOrta
07-13-2006, 01:41 AM
Comcast in eastern PA hasn't been giving me too much trouble with all the URLs I've been doing. ATM, I've got MJ12 running on two computers, each set to 2,816k limit w/ ~90 workers and 30 buckets.

CaptainMooseInc
07-13-2006, 09:27 AM
For how long now though? Your area may also have a higher acceptable limit and bandwidth usage. In Indianapolis it's roughly about 200GBs/mo for "average" so I guess that I can use around 350-400GBs/mo to be a "slightly above average" user.

They called and yelled at me for using 650GBs of bandwidth in a month when I know I used like 1.1TBs. :)

-Jeff

Hixie
07-13-2006, 10:17 AM
Hehehe ... you guys better watch out!

tnerual
07-13-2006, 06:27 PM
you are lucky guys

here in belgium i have a connection 4MB down, 256k up, max 10 GB a month

fixed price is 40€ /month (50$) and 1€ (1.25$) per giga above the first 10 ...:cry:

so bandwidth is the major problem here ...

DragonOrta
07-13-2006, 06:39 PM
MJ12, probably a month or two, but I also ran DIMES full out for a while, which included about 30 VMs at one point.

CaptainMooseInc
07-13-2006, 07:07 PM
Bandwidth is no issue here in the states for phone companies it seems but for cable companies they seem to gripe a lot. AT&T just needs to go bankrupt and be acquired by Verizon so we can ALL have the FiOS service. :)

jasong
07-13-2006, 10:56 PM
Bandwidth is no issue here in the states for phone companies it seems but for cable companies they seem to gripe a lot. AT&T just needs to go bankrupt and be acquired by Verizon so we can ALL have the FiOS service. :)
Interesting that you make the comment about the cable companies. Maybe it's because there's stuff here in Conway that's run by a small private Corporation(the cable company for instance, ConwayCorp), but I made an anonymous phone call regarding bandwidth limits, and they said no one had EVER been reprimanded by them for using too much bandwidth.

the main problem in Conway is, while downloads can get up around 350KB/s, the upload rate is about 22KB/s, which is quite annoying.

What I would really love is if I could keep ConwayCorp and get a lower than normal DSL charge by only uploading on DSL. Then I could really rock and roll. Oh, well...

DragonOrta
07-15-2006, 12:31 AM
Speaking of Verizon, how are there any other wireless phone coverage providers still making money? Verizon has them all beat when it comes to being able to make a phone call anywhere. Almost everyone I know that doesn't have Verizon is constantly complaining about their wireless company.

Verizon FTW! :D

CaptainMooseInc
07-15-2006, 01:00 AM
Verizon Wireless sux so bad. I love my Cingular. My g/f's mom has gotten 4 bills in a row over $600 and they have ALL BEEN WRONG. Cingular might be a little wacky with their rate plans but their billing is almost always right and the reception here in Indianapolis kills Verizon ten fold. I just want Verizon's FiOS service. Other than that I have no use for them.