PDA

View Full Version : Name this band?

Darkness Productions
06-01-2006, 12:10 PM
One of my favorite bands... can you name them from this description?

Drawing equally from the heavy riffing of post-Van Halen metal and the gloomy strains of post-punk, the band developed a bleak, nihilistic sound that balanced grinding hard rock with subtly textured acoustic numbers. They were hard enough for metal fans, yet their dark subject matter and punky attack placed them among the front ranks of the Seattle-based grunge bands.

Bok
06-01-2006, 12:14 PM
Alice in Chains ?

Darkness Productions
06-01-2006, 12:24 PM
Damn, very nice!

Now for one that's might be tougher:

They're able to make alternative rock into stadium rock; naturally, they became the most critically despised band of their era. Accused by many critics of being nothing more than rip-off artists, pilfering from Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains, the band nevertheless became major stars in 1993. And the influences of those bands are apparent in their music, but they do manage to change things around a bit. They are more concerned with tight song structure and riffs than punk rage. Their closest antecedents are not the Sex Pistols or Hüsker Dü; instead the band resembles arena rock acts from the '70s -- it's popular hard rock that sounds good on the radio and in concert.

Bok
06-01-2006, 12:35 PM
Stone Temple Pilots :p

Darkness Productions
06-01-2006, 12:39 PM
Ok. Bok is too good at this ;) Let's see if I can find something a little more obscure...

The complete opposite of all the glossed up glam metal that was permeating the Sunset Strip at the time, the quintet used a refreshing back-to-basics approach, both musically and visually (giving off a heavy retro vibe early on). The band considered several names -- Brown Cow, Mud Bird, Naked Pilgrims, and Head Train -- before agreeing on XXXXX, a phrase that Smith's father would use to describe a couple of hippie neighbors from back home in Mississippi.

Bok
06-01-2006, 12:40 PM
Blind Melon :haddock:

Darkness Productions
06-01-2006, 01:29 PM
Jeez. Do you actually know all of these bands?

The Autumn Effect has arrived just in time to counteract the cynicism and to take rock music to its next logical destination. "Humanity is slowly shutting down," says the band's frontman Jesse Hasek, who points to the current rock scene as a prime example of this lack of community. "Music is supposed to be about intensity and feeling, but there's no thinking behind the music that's out there today. We want people to think, to feel emotions again. We're always plugged in, or connected to something, part of the machine, but the more we plug in, the less human we become."

Bok
06-01-2006, 01:51 PM
I do, though not this one...

though a quick search reveals 10 Years

my musical tastes are wide and varied, from Swedish Death Metal thru contemporary rock :) And my 60Gb iPod is 90% full with every CD I own :p

Bok

gopher_yarrowzoo
06-01-2006, 02:41 PM
Hmm DP, Rage against the Machine? I don't sounds like it could be accredited to them, don't know who the lead is thought.

PY 222
06-01-2006, 02:41 PM
This thread feels like Jeopardy. :lmao:

Darkness Productions
06-01-2006, 03:00 PM
Unfortunately, Bok got them all :thumbs:

However, if anyone else wants to post some, be my guest. I love a good mental challenge once in a while ;)

Darkness Productions
06-02-2006, 03:53 PM
Ok. Hopefully this one will be a little tougher, as the band is fairly obscure, at least from what I can tell ;)

According to the series of short films broadcast on the Internet, XXXX is a legendary American metal band who, unable to get out of their record contract, spent 20 years in Japan; when they returned to the U.S., lead singer Moongoose McQueen and the rest of the band found that artists like the Scorpions and Ozzy Osbourne had become stars by stealing XXXX's material.

Bok
06-02-2006, 04:08 PM
Fozzy ?

Google helps :jester:

em99010pepe
06-02-2006, 04:22 PM
Damm, I'm so ignorant....

Darkness Productions
06-02-2006, 04:46 PM
Bah. Googling is akin to cheating! :Pokes: :Pokes:

Scoofy12
06-02-2006, 10:59 PM
here's one for you, evidently from the same source as the others:
The technically proficient guitar playing of John Petrucci has elevated XXX to the upper echelon of contemporary heavy metal. While its lineup has continuously evolved, the Long Island-based quintet has consistently delivered sharp-edged music. XXX is known for its high-energy concert performances. While they've released several live albums ... they remain one of heavy metal's most bootlegged bands.

Darkness Productions
06-03-2006, 04:45 PM
Jane's Addiction?

Scoofy12
06-03-2006, 08:34 PM
nope... a couple more hints, think more prog-rock. think members trained at berklee college of music, takes-itself-maybe-a-little-too-seriously 14 minute epic rock extravaganza type stuf :D ... this is a band that is still together, although its had quite a few personnel changes

PCZ
07-03-2006, 10:22 PM
Dream Theatre

Scoofy12
07-04-2006, 10:35 AM
you got it. haha i had totally forgotten about this thread, hope i didnt leave anyone in too much suspense :rotfl: