PDA

View Full Version : New Television

Darkness Productions
06-05-2006, 11:04 AM
I'm in the process of upgrading my home theater setup. See the current setup here (http://www.dp.cx/theater/). As part of this upgrade, the next thing to happen is the TV. I'm currently looking at 3:

Mitsubishi WD-62527 62" LCD Projection HDTV
Samsung HL-R6167W 61" High-Definition Rear-Projection DLP TV
JVC HD61G887 61" H-DILA Rear Projection TV w/ HD Tuner

Can anyone give me any scoop on these? I've done some research, but I can't seem to find anything helpful. Is Rear-Projection good? What is H-DILA? Which would you buy?

I like to watch movies, and specifically action movies with lots of things moving and happening (and lots of simultaneous colors, ala Star Wars, Yoda fight scene). So artificing is bad, mmmmkay? I'd like black blacks, white whites, etc, and little pixellation when colors are merging (clouds, faces, etc).

Thoughts?

IronBits
06-05-2006, 06:59 PM
Two words, Brillian Corporation
The 65" model upscales any input to 1080P, 2 megapixel display.
Drop dead realistic, more brightness than your eyes can look at to. :D
http://www.brilliancorp.com/products/hdtv.html

Darkness Productions
06-05-2006, 08:56 PM
Thats all fine and good, but...

Specifications for products are available to OEMs or retailers

Since I happen to be neither, looks like their hardware is out for me.

Anyone else with thoughts?

IronBits
06-05-2006, 09:08 PM
I've seen the rest and had the best, so I thought, until I got the Brillian ;)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=7607454
That would be a good place to start... of course, you didn't mention budget :p
Also, http://www.tvauthority.com/DILA-and-LCOS-TVs/Brillian-6580iFB.asp

Darkness Productions
06-06-2006, 09:12 AM
My range is somewhere in the $2,000-$2,500 range, with $2,800 being a stretch. All three of those can be had at the local Best Buy for that amount...

Darkness Productions
06-06-2006, 09:19 AM
After looking at the second link IronBits provided, I can see that the Brillian screen is way out of my league... I could get 1 of each of the screen's I'm looking at, and still have money left over :eek: :eek: :eek:

Shish
06-06-2006, 09:56 AM
Personally, even at the pubs, we didn`t like back projectors or even the more expensive front projectors. U really need a mostly dark room or the very expensive ones. LCDs are now getting cheaper and have a much superior picture under semi dark or at least not bright sun conditions.
We`ve just ordered a half dozen big Samsungs (48" or 49" ????) for the pubs for trial as we`ve got a deal and they look pretty good and we`re putting the Cup on them with DVI inputs from different sources. They`re not much smaller if at all than the projectors and half the price with a superior pic and good sound system via the cable co. and satellite feeds.
I`ve got a 32" on dvi now from cable at home, linked up to several other systems for sound etc and computer for storage and feeding back plus sending around the house.
Sorry, but I think Back projectors have had their day now the LCDs are getting bigger and cheaper as you need a really good expensive one.
Just my personal opinion of course but I have seen most of the systems available including one we had from Italy which cost £8,680 and we aren`t payoing that for 6 Samsungs and install/service with larger screens or same size to the big bertha one where the projector bulb cost a couple grand ($).
Plus, of course, Samsung guarantee no dead pixels and 3 or 4 year on site same day service included.
YMMV and I`ve no doubt someone will prefer something else.

Darkness Productions
06-06-2006, 10:10 AM
So your personal opinion is that the LCD has a better picture? I did notice that the JVC is linked seemed to have a much more colorful picture, but I wasn't watching them with a lot of intensity. I may need to go back and look at them some more, when I get some time.

I'm not too worried about the sound for it, as the first thing that will happen is the TVs audio outputs will go directly to the home theater (linked earlier in the thread)...

Shish -
Let me know how those LCDs you get look when the series is over... I'd love to have some kind of reference point.

the-mk
06-06-2006, 12:53 PM
I'm not too worried about the sound for it, as the first thing that will happen is the TVs audio outputs will go directly to the home theater (linked earlier in the thread)...

I've linked my 27" LCD TV to my soundsystem too...

Large amount of power those loudspeakers of my Logitech Z5500 :metal:
more than 500 Watts and a subwoofer as big as a microwave :D

Darkness Productions
06-06-2006, 01:17 PM
I need to take a picture of my audio system... it's starting to come together nicely.

IronBits
06-06-2006, 07:03 PM
If you go down and look at an DLP and it seems fine, then that would be the one to get...
TeeJay has a really nice LDP display and I'm impressed with it's quality, no burn in, and it's damn bright.

Happy shopping :D

Shish
06-06-2006, 09:01 PM
One of the things commented on by the punters apparently on the original trial was that, unlike the projector which needed very dim light even for the powerful one, the lcds (and remember they`re also able to be perched well out of reach) were viewable in normal lighting conditions in the pub. IE with the usual candle bulbs on so we can comply with safety regs and bnot have someone claim on us for tripping over in the semi dark.
Certainly the one I`ve seen and the one I`ve got can be turned up painfully bright and have a very sharp, intense picture unlike the plasmas which always seem a bit murky and blurry. Hard to decribe unless you see them side by side.
But with the advent of the really big ones, they`re cornering the market in pubs because the pic is brilliant and the unit is light enough to get it outa the way of any tampering while still beating the projector hands down, according tp the cusdtomer, who we know is ALWAYS RIGHT ....well maybe.
I`m definitely replacing my current one with a bigger one and mine is already linked into a very carefully built sound system (another thing which is becoming cheaper nowadays for reasonable quality).
By the way, we`re only using the Samsung cos we got a good deal and they could supply early on the largest panels. You really need to see several, side by side, at a good dealer maybe, and you`ll get the picture straight away. Certainly an easy choice against plasma when you do that. Doesn`t seem to be the same contest on the panel types as there is on the much more precise computer display front.
I think to watch out for the next gen panels tho` cos there are some developements coming we`re told in even largewr 60" and bigger panels which are available now but super expensive ( and HOW big did you say your lounge was Sir?) with the backlight techniques and especially both a new reflector to even out any hot spots on the flossies and a new "twistier" lcd which will increase the speed and resolution a fair bit.
Personally, I`d say they`re pretty good now and remember, the panels are only made by 2 or 3 different fasctories anyway...
an thats me dead again and I`ve wore out a full 2 teams of nursing staff and a very depressed physio who we`ve noew nicknamed after a certain robot in HitxchHilkers Guide. :) :cheers: :D

Darkness Productions
06-07-2006, 09:36 AM
After a bit of research last night, and comparisons against the three, I'm currently leaning towards the Samsung (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-xksdQSbJSFt/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=147350&id=essential_info&i=305HLR6167#Tab) (not buying from there, but they seem to have lots of information about the screen).

I need to do a little more research, and possibly take a DVD into Best Buy and see if they'll play it on the screens for me, so that I can compare them myself. Does anyone know if they'll do this?

Shish
06-07-2006, 02:33 PM
Quite a few of our local (Newcastle upon TYne) big shops and boxshifters have a "Cinema and Audio" demo room which is where I first saw the 60" Samsung demo panel and it was half the price (though not actually on the market) in one of them than at Samsung and I fell in love with it. Just still too much for my budget though :)
I still have laser disks of the original demo of both the machines scene from Arnies big film series ( and I shouldn`t have to tell you the title) and the full original demo laser disk (first pressing) of Star Wars where you see and hear the big ship coming from behind you and over the top. Both were aquired from a deceased personalities estate and are as sent out from the studios to demonstarte both the special 8/16/32 channel discrete sound and the very high quality video which can be expanded enormously for use on a back projection system. Needless to say, the audio is totally out of this world when played on a full Lucas patented 8 channel system, and the video, on our totally outrageously priced "Italian Job" forward projector in the pub, can be magnified to full wall size (the cinema quality "White Wall" is 25ft high x 60ft long, available picture space) without any loss in definition. I don`t dare tell you how much the special crystal bead wall finish cost but the brewery coughed when we told them they were paying for it and how much the contractor wanted to bring in a team to do it from Italy. It did pay for itself inside 2 years though.
Anyway, if you have the space, and I guess a lot of US houses do, a "cinema room" is a good project to do but it can and will eat cash unless you can build some of the components yourself.
I did sell some of my valve amps that I built as trials to "connoisseurs" for outrageous prices :lmao: to fund a lot of mine and the house was also built "Victorian Style" with an enormous lounge to take both a big screen and the original 8 channel system which was a mix of very old (1932/3) valve amps (nekkid as the day and glorious) and new technol;ogy "optical feeds" ,Yamaha switching amps, etc.
I also earned a few bob out of demos for a certain "quality" audiophile system builder and aquired some good equipment that way :)
Only sorry I can`t handle the mechanical skills necessary to build some of that stuff nowadays as there is a small but very lucrative market still going.

Anyway, just another of those "useless damn hobbies" (her indoors quote) to waste money on and one of several I`ve pursued and still do in a happy life.

Darkness Productions
06-19-2006, 09:09 AM
The television has been purchased. I ended up getting the Samsung, because of price, picture quality, and feature levels. Got some new cables, and the difference between our regular digital cable channels and the HD digital cable channels is just amazing. Unfortunately, my DVD player is rather old, and doesn't support HD. Will have to upgrade that next ;)

Pictures soon.

IronBits
06-19-2006, 09:55 AM
:thumbs:
DVD eh... get HELIOS HVD2085
http://neodigits.com/new/body/products/HVD2085/specs.asp
$200.00
upscales standard DVDs to 1080p.
Choose from 11 different resolutions and 5 video outputs.

The onboard scaler visual quality is awesome. ;)

Digital Parasite
06-19-2006, 10:54 AM
The television has been purchased. I ended up getting the Samsung, because of price, picture quality, and feature levels.

Nice, is the 6167 last year's model cause all I see on Samsung's site is the 6168 which has a 10000:1 contrast ratio. My friend just bought the 6164 so we will be trying that out on Wed.

Maybe some day I will enjoy big screen goodness...

Bright Knight
06-27-2006, 09:57 PM
DVD is privative and would probably look about as good on a TV. You can stretch the DVD information out to fit but you can not add information that is not there. Adding that kind of resolution and contrast information to DVD would take a few more layers.

It is like spending $20k on a sound system to play 8 track tapes.

Shish
06-28-2006, 02:23 AM
Well, the new Samsungs are in the pubs and the comments have been very good. Apparently the new zillion to one contrasts are going down well as the football (on high definition feeds) is now viewable without totally dimming the lights which should also keep the insurance people happy (just another one of the many decisions businesses have to make when buying gear :umm: ) and most of the punters can now be hap hap happy even if not footie fans. Well you know the old adage of You can please.....
I won`t include the actual words WE use :Pokes: :rotfl: .
I`m just a bit annoyed that we get the Sky feeds for nowt (included actually) and the digital trial channels the same but miserable Telewest wants to charge us extra for a "special new box". For free to air services?....I don`t think so. Time to review, with some forceful persuasion, that bill I think.
We do also get both normal dvd type films to screen and a special licensed commercial version and I must admit, the Sky Movies feed in 1080 and the Hi def dvds we get are much better than normal dvds but just using Hi def 1080 increases the viewing quality as well on normal dvds quite considerably if you`ve got the dvd machine to do it.
Mebbe nit picking cos you will still get a good result from most decent kit with a 1080i or 1080p out but dvd information allows lots MORE info than a normal tv can handle. ie look here http://www.hdtvinfoport.com/HDTV-Resolution.html
Anyway, I`ve got a "spare" demo one in my room here and it`s getting a lot of use, especially when I`m away oop North :swear: so I might just add a pay per view lock on my room door and keep the blinds and surveillance off..... Mind you, that surveillance is switchable in here cos a fellow needs some privacy when you have several (very) females trying to watch a new movie and vying for space. Needless to say the males get to sit on the floor :rotfl: and I do dim the lights of course.

Bok
09-30-2006, 08:04 PM
Just to resurrect an old thread.

My TV crapped out today. It's a 47" Samsung rear projection and it has red curved lines about occupying most of the top 3rd (convergence?). I've tried adjusting the settings but have no idea what is wrong...

so first of all, any ideas anyone? Would it cost a fortune to fix?

secondly, perhaps it's time to upgrade. I've been looking at the Phillips 50" plasma ambilight which seem pretty nice. I'd like something around that size, mounted on the wall. Also looked at a Samsung 46" LCD. Not sure what is the best, prices are around the same at ~ $3K plus $500 for installation/mounting..

Any experience out there?

:cheers: Bok

IronBits
09-30-2006, 09:54 PM
If you can, wait until I get to Phoenix so you can see my TV, then you won't want anything else. :rotfl:
You could hire some professional to come in to fix and calibrate it. Make it look better than new, prolly around $600 plus parts, if any needed.

Plasma is way over rated, consumes large quantities of electricty, puts out tons of heat, looks like a checkerboard, and half life on the screen, and you will suffer severe burn in with LOGOs and any non-screen filling material.

If you *must* have a flat panel display, plasma is not it.

Bok
09-30-2006, 10:12 PM
Young Children *whacking* on it dictate having a wall-mount.. but I'm game for LCD if that's the way to go.....

Get to Phoenix quicker :Pokes: I've now done 75 nights in the Marriot there (platinum!) this year...

Bok

Shish
10-01-2006, 02:23 AM
`Sounds like a full board gone job (depends on manufacturer on what needs replacing) and the lines are a dead giveaway.
Get the biggest LCD you can afford, depending on viewing distance, and as IB says for the plasmas, power guzzling, swimmy colors, quite heavy etc.
Doubt you`ll regret the lcd and neither will the kids :D .
I know we haven`t regretted them, apart from having to restrict cleaning in the still smoky pub atmosphere (all change next year for that :umm: , see how it goes.....). Just wondering how the new no ladders stuff will affect that as well.:confused: . Anyway, new HD stuff is just beginning to filter in, including made in HD stuff and that really shows the difference.
Still chasing "Spender" tho`I`ve missed a couple on Ebay (don`t go there enough, don`t like them much) and Jimmy has been away for a while and out of touch, not that many have spoken to him in the last couple of years. Unusual for a tv series not to be available on any type of resale but it was an independent production, apparently.

Bok
10-01-2006, 09:57 AM
Any ideas on what the costs are for replacing a board ?

For an LCD I'm looking at this one (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8020045&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat95100050006&id=1156606920359)

My local Sears currently have it for $3100.

Look good ?

Cheers for looking for Spender still. It is strange that has never been released. So it comes up on Ebay now and then?

Bok

*edit* found series 1 on Ebay :) Won and paid for - 10 quid including shipping to the US!!

IronBits
10-01-2006, 11:21 AM
That's not an HDTV... look for DLP and LCOS II.
Full HDTV = 1920 x 1080 anything less is not.

Bok
10-01-2006, 12:05 PM
I don't see anything in that range....

What do you think of this plasma one (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7798163&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat95100050005&id=1142291917283)

Bok

IronBits
10-01-2006, 03:54 PM
1366 x 768 pixel resolution, basically 720p, or about half the resolution...
Give me a little time to dig up some good stuff.

Shish
10-01-2006, 09:42 PM
Yeah, minimum res should be 1080 for the older panels and that`s still not the full on definition.
Beware of " HD ready" phrases etc.
New lcds (but not plasma as far as I`m told) have new higher pixel count/resolution and are just hitting Europe but dunno about US where you are normally ahead of us.
Samsung panels are an inch different from AUOs for some reason (standards disagreement/war or summat similar) but the higher pixel count on both the new types allows full HD resolution. Some big mixup for the consumers though as old and new panels are both on sale and a lot of disinformation/market hype is around. Pays to visit some of the Video websites for the real deal.
Honest though, forget the plasmas...they mostly stink next to a decent lcd or even projector with a good lens and beaded hi-brite wall. Only problem with the cost on projectors is the enormous price of the bulbs and the lack of contrast.
Anyway, I`m more than happy with my "spare" Samsung but it`s not on the wall, just sitting on top of 3 linked 3 shelf printer stands. Used to be 2 for the 34" WS TV but I had to add another. Well, they are made of oak wood, so they`re furniture as well as hifi stands :D

Bok
10-02-2006, 10:28 AM
Hmm, ok how about this one (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7992808&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat95100050006&id=1155069969129)

Bok

Scooby Doo
10-02-2006, 03:46 PM

Mitsubishi WD-62527 62" LCD Projection HDTV

< Crocodile Dundee mode > Thats not a large screen......THIS is a large screen < Crocodile Dundee mode > (http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/29/jvc-busts-out-worlds-largest-rptv-at-110-inches/) ;):D

IronBits
10-02-2006, 09:12 PM
Give this one a look - Sony KDS-R60XBR1 LCOS HDTV
http://www.hometheatermag.com/rearprojectiontvs/1105sony/
http://www.ultimateavmag.com/rearprojectiontvs/1105sony/

A quick glance shows it priced around $2500 now. :)

meep
10-08-2006, 12:21 PM
Definately go with LCD, even though you may be tempted with Plasma on price and larger sizes. Remember the Plasma tv will pack up, and if you have a console that the kids like to pause and leave, or watch sports and have a corner screen score box, you will get burn in.

I bought a 40" R74 Samsung LCD a few months ago and it is awesome, have it hooked up to a HD cable box and progresive scan DVD player, cracking picture. Re-decorating the lounge at the moment, should have it fitted to its new wall mount bracket by Tuesday :)

Digital Parasite
10-10-2006, 01:04 PM
What do you guys think about LCOS?

I think IronBits linked to the Sony SXRD model. Is LCOS still supposed to be the Plasma/LCD killer or have LCD and Plasma tech improved enough to take it head on?

meep
10-10-2006, 02:16 PM
They are OK if you have a barn for a lounge, not all that appealing otherwise. Oh and if you sit at an angle to the screen over about 45 degress you cant see anything...

Shish
10-11-2006, 04:36 AM
`Not a good screen that, we measured ours on both the 32" and the big łn as around 65+ from the center line....damn...this stupid keyboard is screwed :swear: Important for a pub anyway. You start losing it around the 60deg mark, side to side but it`s perfectly watchable mostly everywhere in our 16`x 30` lounge area.
Damn again....my wifi connect keeps crapping out. Getting interference from some close, unsecured, not set up at all, neighbours as well as somebody`s high power digital phone.
The 32" is perfect in the dining area which is only 12`x 16`.
Got a mate with a big Panasonic back projector and he`s upset at the definition and picture on ours even in bright light.