PDA

View Full Version : Where am I needed most?

jasong
06-20-2006, 06:37 PM
At the moment, I'm supporting the team by doing sieving on Riesel Sieve. Unfortunately, it's a Pentium, which means it's kind of slow at that.

I've decided that I want to put one of my dual-core cores on Free-DC competition duty.

72 hours from now is when I plan to switch one of my cpus to whatever the team thinks is best, while my other one will be my "play around with" cpu.

It's a 2.8GHz Pentium-D, but I'm not sure how much my cache is. :(

Edit: Would BOINC Rosetta be a good fit? Aren't we having trouble there?

Nexus
08-04-2006, 09:16 PM
At the moment, I'm supporting the team by doing sieving on Riesel Sieve. Unfortunately, it's a Pentium, which means it's kind of slow at that.

I've decided that I want to put one of my dual-core cores on Free-DC competition duty.

72 hours from now is when I plan to switch one of my cpus to whatever the team thinks is best, while my other one will be my "play around with" cpu.

It's a 2.8GHz Pentium-D, but I'm not sure how much my cache is. :(

Edit: Would BOINC Rosetta be a good fit? Aren't we having trouble there?

We can always do with some help on DPAD. Currently we're sitting in 3rd place, with Team Anandtech in our sights but always tantalizingly out of reach.

jasong
08-08-2006, 03:55 PM
We can always do with some help on DPAD. Currently we're sitting in 3rd place, with Team Anandtech in our sights but always tantalizingly out of reach.
Unfortunately, since I wrote that, I've become interested in setting a new record for primorial primes. A primorial number is a number where all the primes from 2 to that number are multiplied together, and then then you add or subtract 1. That is slightly different from a factorial number, where ALL the numbers from 1 to that number are multiplied together, and then you add or subtract 1.

If anyone has an AMD and is interested in helping me(or making their own attempt), there is a file from 175000#+/-1 to 250000#+/-1 that needs sieving.(Technically, that's not true. It's actually unsieved numbers BETWEEN those numbers, with all the numbers being primorialized primes)

em99010pepe
08-08-2006, 04:05 PM
Which client are you using to sieve, newpgen or pfgw?

jasong
08-08-2006, 07:58 PM
Which client are you using to sieve, newpgen or pfgw?
NewPGen can't sieve primorials, and my web-surfing got me the knowledge that pfgw isn't very good at sieving.

I use Multisieve. It advances through the prime numbers used in sieving orders of magnitude slower than NewPGen, but it's also specifically made to sieve files that NewPGen can't(or couldn't, since the program has been around for a couple years)

em99010pepe
08-09-2006, 02:02 PM
Please post here the links, I would like to help you but first I need to test the client.
Meanwhile, back to Quadratic Conjecture......

Thanks in advance,

Carlos

jasong
08-09-2006, 03:31 PM
Please post here the links, I would like to help you but first I need to test the client.
Meanwhile, back to Quadratic Conjecture......

Thanks in advance,

Carlos
Try here. (http://home.wi.rr.com/mrodenkirch/) :thumbs:
testout.txt is the speeds at which pfgw tests the number, and the other file is the file that needs to be sieved.

I'm not sure how much experience you had with NewPGen(Multisieve is very similar in terms of the interface) so I'm going to give some general advice:

Edit: I was going to give sieving advice, but I couldn't figure out a way to write it in a cognizant fashion, so I deleted it.:(

em99010pepe
08-09-2006, 04:02 PM
Which options do I have to check on the software?

Post here a picture of your client running but first check if I made everything right (see my picture)

Carlos

em99010pepe
08-10-2006, 08:00 PM
OK. I wainted more than one day. Tomorrow I will be out of town for three days. Bye.

Carlos

jasong
08-11-2006, 06:43 AM
OK. I wainted more than one day. Tomorrow I will be out of town for three days. Bye.

Carlos
Sorry about that, but you're settings are totally correct.

Edit: Sorry to be the bearer of bad news(it's worse for me), but, even though my Google search for information on primorial progress was unfruitful, today I surfed the "Prime Pages" and found this site. (http://primorialprime.home.comcast.net/) :(

I hope this hasn't discouraged you from helping me find a primorial prime.