PDA

View Full Version : BOINC(or at least Rosetta) doesn't seem to respect the 1 processor limit.

jasong
07-07-2006, 04:01 PM
I have a dual-core Pentium-D cpu. I set all of the BOINC projects to only one cpu and initiated contact with the sites right after I did that. So, the question of the day is, why on earth won't it respect that fact?

If you guys tell me it takes a few minutes to settle down and behave after it's started, I'll accept that, but at the moment, I'm very annoyed.

Did I screw something up?

Marky-UK
07-07-2006, 04:21 PM
You only need to change the setting for one project then update that project with the client. The other project sites will pick up the new settings when the client next contacts them.

I've never tried setting the CPU limit down to 1, but I do know that the client honours a setting of 2 on a "quad" CPU box, so I don't see why it shouldn't work with 1 too.

LAURENU2
07-08-2006, 01:56 AM
Did I screw something up
Yes
Go back and check your settings
Then retry communications on that PC's client
Or let it finish the job it is working on

jasong
07-08-2006, 01:14 PM
Yes
Go back and check your settings
Then retry communications on that PC's client
Or let it finish the job it is working on
Well, with no settings changes since I noticed Rosetta hogging resources, Einstein@Home is totally respecting the limit.

Question:How does BOINC behave if it has more than one processor to work with? Does it ever utilize two processors on one task?