PDA

View Full Version : Win 32 Exception with latest update?!

Marc2211
07-05-2002, 07:32 AM
Just set up a 2.2g P4, Windows XP system to crunch for MacNN (!) but am having a few problems...

It has been fine for the last 5 days, but since the update on Tuesday has crashed twice with win 32 exception errors...Both occured at around the 37,000 unit mark...

I know nothing about PCs having been a Mac user exclusively for the last 10+ years, so any help as to the cause of the problems, and how to fix them, would be gratefully received...

Cheers,

Marc

Brian the Fist
07-05-2002, 10:22 AM
This is a plain old software crash. Please look for foldtraj_screensaver.log in the place you installed the screensaver and see if there's any error messages and tell me.

Has anyone else had this problem as well or is it just a 'fluke'?

muttley
07-05-2002, 12:25 PM
I have no problems.
I have Win XP pro on Tyan Tiger mb (the ones with the usb fixed) with 2 1800+MP processors 1gig registered memory. I have 40+ processes minimun running and closest to idle, (2)foldtrajlite gets 40% of each single processor. I have UPS with boost and buck on the voltage control.

My suggestion if you are using the screen saver is to switch over to the text version that is faster. The next is possibly a review of the computer components and drivers if you wish to keep the screen saver version. Many motherboards have been pushed out to market to quick and even intel did not validate their chipset with the fastest memory speed of 533mhz.

regards,
Bruce

MAD-ness
07-05-2002, 10:41 PM
I don't know if you want the screensaver specifically, but if you just want the client to run automatically and unobtrusively, I STRONGLY recommend the Windows NT service install. After installing the client as a service on several machines, I can not hardly stomach installing it any other way, the service install is just so easy and reliable.

If you are concerned about HOW to install it as a service, have no fear. I have used Windows computers for years, but had never used NT and had never installed a service until a few months ago when I installed this client as a service. I was up and running in only a few minutes, got it the first time. The directions are simple and clear:

Running as an NT/2000/XP service
--------------------------------
The Windows version of the client can be set up to run as a normal Windows NT
service, so that it will start automatically whenever your computer starts up
and run in the background until you shut down. Structures will be uploaded
every 5000 still, and buffered for later upload at shutdown (so your shutdown
procedure will not be delayed). It runs at low priority so other tasks will
push it out of the way and so it should not noticeably slow your machine
down. Be warned that it will only upload after making 5000 structures (a few
hours, depending on your machine speed) so make sure you are connected to the
internet when using the client as a service. Also, updates will automatically
be accepted (provided they are digitally signed) in this mode and a large
amount of data may be buffered if you do not connect to the network for a long
period of time. To check progress while running as a service, a file called
"progress.txt" will be written to the directory where the program is installed
so you can monitor its progress still.

To setup the program to work as a service:

1. Open a DOS prompt to the directory you installed the client.
2. If it is not already there, create a new file called "handle.txt" and in it
type your 8 character handle followed by Enter (or alternatively, run
foldit.bat first, enter your handle when asked for it, then quit)
3. Type: foldtrajlite /install (and hit Enter)
4. The next time you reboot your machine it will start automatically

To remove the service:

1. Go to Administrative Tools -> Services
2. Find and Stop the service called Distributed Folding Project
3. Open a DOS prompt to the directory you installed the client.
4. Type: foldtrajlite /remove (and hit Enter)
5. It will not be run on your machine automatically anymore

You may install a second instance of the service by changing step 3 above
from 'foldtrajlite /install' to 'foldtrajlite /install2'. Similarly, to
remove this second instance, change step 4 to 'foldtrajlite /remove2'.
Note that if you wish to run two instances, you must install two full
copies of the software in separate directories and install one using
/install and the other /install2. Not following this procedure correctly
will result in unpredictable behaviour.

I just cut and pasted the above instructions from the 'readme1st.txt' file which comes with the program.

Good luck.

Marc2211
07-06-2002, 05:50 AM
Cheers all for the info...

Just to update the situation, I've had 4 more of the 'win32' crashes...I checked out everything I could think of but still no results. The error logs showed a different error every time!

Anyway I'm goiong to install the text or service version this afternoon, hopefully it will sort the problem...

Guess it is just one of those things!

Thanks again,

Marc

muttley
07-06-2002, 07:03 AM
on your next post if you are still having problems list your hardware information. I might be able to provide assistance and brian the fist is a top dog and his suggestion to post the error log info might be the ticket with his experience.
When you get the Win32 error code does this only effect the foldit program or does it cause the operating system to hang? With Windows XP only the program should crash not anything else, if so then there is something else happening that shouldn't occure.

Best regards,
muttley

Brian the Fist
07-06-2002, 12:34 PM
If you have messages in your log, I can tell you whats wrong if youd only post it. It might be faulty hardware on your machine depending on the error so I suggest you let me have a look.

Marc2211
07-07-2002, 01:58 PM
Been really busy this weekend, I'll try and post an error message if I get time later on...

Thanks

Marc

Jodie
07-08-2002, 02:11 AM
No idea if it's related....

I've been seeing a LOT of seg-faulting on the Linux clients running on P3-1.4G Server processors. Most especially under mosix/2.4.18 patch.

The processes are set-up to not migrate (mosrun -h foldit - and foldit contains mosrun -h foldtraj. . .). I see crashing probably five or six a day with seg fault on mosix P3's and one/day on the non-mosix'd boxxen running the same processor. Sample is out-of about 120Procs.

Hardware is certifiably good (and has been) - IBM eCluster 1600 and IBM eCluster 3200. Both run our jobs fine and consistantly.

I'm seeing no crashing on AMD-based clusters running Mosix - both 1.5.3 and the 1.7 series. (2.4.14/2.4.17/2.4.18)

No error condition in error.log - happens in both -qt and in draw-to-screen.

Also worth noting that the eClusters are SMP machines... Distro is RedHat 7.1.

Anyone else running recent Mosix (or any Mosix?)