PDA

View Full Version : Win2K freeze-ups with recent client

LocoJones
07-06-2002, 08:49 PM
Ever since the auto-update to the new client (83 amino acid), I have experienced instability with my Win2k box. Random freeze-ups is all I can describe it as. No advanced warning, to regular timings, no combination or particular apps.

The client will run fine and for many hours so long as it is the only application running. However, when other apps are started (Yahoo IM, IE, etc.) the system will seize eventually.

I have narrowed it down to the Distributed Folding Text client, and would like some info on how to proceed with repairing it.

Event log and Dr. Watson reports do not show any abnormal listings regarding the client, but removing the client from day-to-day operations returns the system to its expected stability.

Hardware includes:

Win2k Adv Server SP2
Duron 1.3Ghz
IWill KK266 (orig. BIOS)
512meg SDRAM
IBM 60GXP 40gig drive
Leadtek GF3Ti200
Adaptec 2940UW SCSI
100Mbit Linksys NIC
VIA 4-in-1's 4.32 (INF and AGP only)

Questions:
1) Would it be best to delete my folding file, and download a fresh client and re-install from scratch? Could something have become corrupted?
2) I have had no problems previously with the client's priority. But could this become part of the problem?
3) It appears to use an incredible amount of RAM, sometimes up to 100meg. Is this normal behavior? Because it might be the source of the memory leak as well that I was attempting to track down.

Thank you for your time.

Brian the Fist
07-07-2002, 11:18 PM
The executable did not change with the most recent update, only the protein data file. So any change to your system is not likely a result of that update. There is no memory leak either. Random freeze-ups are most often caused by bad RAM - do a thorough RAM test and see what you find.

LocoJones
07-08-2002, 09:57 PM
Thanks Brian. What do you recommend for conducting a thorough RAM test?

Brian the Fist
07-09-2002, 08:42 AM
Well I use something called memtest86 but you need LILO from Linux to use that. Basically anything that runs off a boot disk (i.e. doesnt run from inside Windows) works well. www.ontrack.com might have some free/trial software, or else search for memory tester on google. The important thing is it should be the only program in your entire memory when it is running or its worthless.
Sometimes even turning off the 'fast memory test/POST' in your BIOS is sufficient to detect the faulty RAM if present.

muttley
07-10-2002, 01:44 AM
with your memory you can possibly reseat the memory.

Next is that if you have 2 modules remove one and try running with only that one. Next is run the other module and see what happens.

Next is taking one module and placing it in slot #2 and if you have 2 modules placing them in slots #2 and #3 and another possibility is #1 and #3. This will not always work on all motherboards.

Another is borrow memory from another computer.

Power sags from airconditioners and such on poor quality power supplys are a real pain so when in doubt buy power supplys by weight. Some hard drives are effected by temperature and by power, could your hard drive be the culpret? IMO I like Enermax cause of quiet fans and temperature sensing to increase the fan speed. Possibly check your voltage if possible.

One of my peaves is that I want the data of DC programs written to memory and not to hard drive or at least the option to. I on this dualie machine have 1 gig of memory. Also I like having ecc memory and in this case registered. I may lose a few performance points but the peace of mind is nice. Also you might want to invest not just in a bare backup UPS unit but get the transformer units that arn't that expensive that boost and buck the voltage for you you can get them in like ~1Kva at not to unreasonable prices and use it on the the printer and other devices that you want added protection but not UPS service.

Edit: what I mean is the transformer plugs into (surge supressor) the wall then you plug in a bare UPS unit then the computer and such and then again come off the transformer for the printer and other service needs, a TV would get excellent protection.
The reason for a seperate transformer and UPS unit is that the transformers are less expensive and rated a lot higher and if a UPS goes out there goes your boost and buck also.

muttley