PDA

View Full Version : Hello..Came here looking for a favor

movieman
08-18-2006, 09:58 AM
I'm Movieman from XS and I came here to ask for some help.
There's a small group that came from SETI to Rosetta that have taken over the Rosetta forum at Baker Labs and posted ad nauseum on changing all the scoring and you are starting to see the results of that yesterday and today.
I've been over there trying to fight off these characters and with some sucess but I need to send a very powerfull message to Baker Labs about who "butters their bread".
We have started to shut down but it takes some time as you know.
I'm looking for any support that you can offer.
Either way, no hard feelings from me on this. I will totally understand if people do not want to do this.
I figure a week max and then either it's settled or we will be moving on to something else.
Another option is to just shut off the network part of Boinc..do the work, just don't send it back.
From here I go to the DPC forum. Have to get a Dutch interpreter first!:D
Thanks guys!
Movieman

em99010pepe
08-18-2006, 12:44 PM
I don't know, a lot of BS on that forum.

Carlos

XS_Martijn
08-18-2006, 12:48 PM
Please, think of this twice: I really respect that you wan't to continue crunching, but after everything that happened and Baker Labs not listening to us, we should act. Act in numbers. The more people the better.

It is indeed BS at their forum, but BS the Baker people listened to, that's what counts. It shouldn't have happened.

em99010pepe
08-18-2006, 12:58 PM
Act in numbers. The more people the better.

Stop running Rosetta. There are a lot of interesting projects out there.

Carlos

Bok
08-18-2006, 01:00 PM
I'm Movieman from XS and I came here to ask for some help.
There's a small group that came from SETI to Rosetta that have taken over the Rosetta forum at Baker Labs and posted ad nauseum on changing all the scoring and you are starting to see the results of that yesterday and today.
I've been over there trying to fight off these characters and with some sucess but I need to send a very powerfull message to Baker Labs about who "butters their bread".
We have started to shut down but it takes some time as you know.
I'm looking for any support that you can offer.
Either way, no hard feelings from me on this. I will totally understand if people do not want to do this.
I figure a week max and then either it's settled or we will be moving on to something else.
Another option is to just shut off the network part of Boinc..do the work, just don't send it back.
From here I go to the DPC forum. Have to get a Dutch interpreter first!:D
Thanks guys!
Movieman

Hi Dave,

glad to see you over here at long last :)

Well, looks like the credits will not be retroactively altered as per David Bakers recent comment, so perhaps this is a moot point ?

Unfortunately, just like politics, it's the vocal few who often dictate policy, which is how it seems to have turned out on the Rosetta board. I have up reading that forum quite some time ago, only drop in once in a while, just because of the makeup of the people on there..

Bok

XS_Martijn
08-18-2006, 01:17 PM
Please take a look over here as well!!! :)

http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=112049

movieman
08-18-2006, 05:38 PM
Hi Dave,

glad to see you over here at long last :)

Well, looks like the credits will not be retroactively altered as per David Bakers recent comment, so perhaps this is a moot point ?

Unfortunately, just like politics, it's the vocal few who often dictate policy, which is how it seems to have turned out on the Rosetta board. I have up reading that forum quite some time ago, only drop in once in a while, just because of the makeup of the people on there..

Bok
Hi Bok:
You know, it's funny. I never registered here and it was on purpose. There was a time when some of the guys were coming here and saying trash talk and it bugged me. I asked them not to but you can't force someone to listen to good old fashioned horse sense so i figured that the smart thing was for me to stay away my self even though I know and get along with some of the guys here.
Ok, here's my pitch: There is more to this thing at Baker Labs than meets the eye. Not a simple credits thing..Damn, the stats and competitions are fun but my life won't end if I or XS are in 1st or 5th place in any DC app. For me personally the chase is the kick. being in first is boring as you guys know.
Your there in so many!:)
Back to my point: I'm trying to get a 2-3 day shutdown(buffer?) to make a big point to Dr. Baker et all that there's some very unhappy campers out here and it's time to take some action.
Bottom line is the more PC's that are off, or appear off, the better the point is made. It also states one other subtle point: That we can act together as a VERY large group. This isn't blackmail, thats not my style, this is to say " We're not happy and this is how we are showing our displeasure"
Any help I can get from you guys will only help to make that statement.
Thanks again.
Movieman
here's a link to a post I just made there:
http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/forum_thread.php?id=2121

Bok
08-18-2006, 06:17 PM
I think PY is on vacation though.................

movieman
08-18-2006, 06:40 PM
That's a shame..BUT it's tough for the really big guys to react to something like this and a hardship..a guy with 100 machines to kill them is work..

LAURENU2
08-18-2006, 07:16 PM
Movieman
here's a link to a post I just made there:
http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/fo...ad.php?id=2121
I think they Deleted You Movieman

Haltech
08-18-2006, 07:29 PM
Screw Baker... Time to move onto something else that is tainted by ET gazers:lmao:

movieman
08-18-2006, 07:43 PM
I am done with Rosetta. 200 plus posts in a thread and because 2-3 guys got into it they deleted the whole thing..
What's that expresion: They can kiss me where the sun don't shine..
Guys, Thanks for your time and your listening.
It was nice to visit here but time for this guy to go home.
Thanks,
Movieman

Bok
08-18-2006, 07:50 PM
I think it's time to just step back from it for a day or so...then think about it. Change happens guys.. I've seen it happen a number of times over the years in C.

I'd talked with Ethan briefly overnight and he's trying like everyone else, but their strengths are more in science than moderation. Got to keep than in mind..and give them some slack..

My opinion only..

In the meantime come over and help us in SoB :p

Bok

Exci
08-18-2006, 08:56 PM
Movieman,
I had a choice between two evils. . delete the whole thread, or delete individual posts hoping to save the important content.

The latter wasn't possible, important content posts quoted bad posts, I would have been left with 10% of the original content without any flow in the conversation.

We can't edit quotes, so I picked the first option. I guarantee you every post up to that point was read by someone in the lab. . and they still have access to it.

Sorry you feel the way you do, it wasn't intentional on my end.

-Ethan

Angus
08-18-2006, 09:48 PM
Movieman,
I had a choice between two evils. . delete the whole thread, or delete individual posts hoping to save the important content.

The latter wasn't possible, important content posts quoted bad posts, I would have been left with 10% of the original content without any flow in the conversation.

We can't edit quotes, so I picked the first option. I guarantee you every post up to that point was read by someone in the lab. . and they still have access to it.

-Ethan

That's when you take a trick from mod9's book and quote the good parts in a new message, and delete the offensive ones. You keep the discussion open, and everyone can still see the important stuff. There will be people coming in from different time zones that will have no chance to see the meat of the thread, not to mention all the broken links to that thread on team boards across DC-land.

Hiding the whole thing makes people think you're hiding it just to be contrary and applying censorship of ideas.

Angus

(more concerned over the appearance of censorship and insensitivity from the project, than the whole points thing)

Exci
08-18-2006, 10:10 PM
That's a good idea. . I'll keep it in mind.

I don't think it would have worked in the case, if I replied and copied the relevant text, it woudl be at the top of the thread. For something 250 posts long, that would make it really hard to understand. . . let alone going through 250 posts to get it all straight, that would have been 100 replies easily.

Angus
08-18-2006, 10:34 PM
Well - I guess if you all don't think it's worth the effort, it's your (Rosetta's) image and credibility that suffers.

Good Luck.

I just finished my last WU. I aborted the rest and detached.

Shish
08-19-2006, 06:13 AM
I`m gone as well.
I like Rosetta and the science but on the whole the forum is useless and even worse,mostly stinks.

movieman
08-19-2006, 02:30 PM
Movieman,

-Ethan
Hello Ethan:
I'm going to say it straight as thats the only way I know how to talk.
It was the total failure of the people of Baker Labs to take a stand IN WRITING and put a stop to T.Castro and that fool Saenger that was the cause of all the problems. Your deleting the thread was just the final straw.
When Dr. Baker wakes up and realizes, and I mean really realizes that to run a DC app sucessfully there needs to be good communication between the developers and the people who provide the engine that makes it work these issues will go away. I could write a book today and never get across how pissed I am over this. I was his biggest supporter but when the guy won't discuss issues or take a public stand on his own forum and let this crap go on day in and day out thats what finally told me how he felt about the people that support him.
There are other issues, but thats the main one.The other issues just reinforce my feeling that he doesn't give a damn about us and considers us a necessary evil to get what he wants which is our PC's..
Sort of leaves you with the feeling that you've been used and I don't like that.
I don't treat people that way and I will not allow anyone to treat me that way.

njkid32
08-22-2006, 04:08 AM
Hi Ethan, I am an admin on XS and deal with the entire forum and our Rosetta section 24/7. I am a little confused as to how your having an issue with editing threads. You should have seen our forums when the first Conroe came out. There were 10 threads 300 pages long with AMD guys fighting with Intel guys. All those threads were moderated without and issue. If you need some help with things or some pointers please contact me. I hate to say it but hiding an entire thread makes it look like you took the easy way out and you wont have many fans of that.

Thanks -E

LAURENU2
08-22-2006, 10:01 AM
In this game there are 2 the Mods and the members
And from what I see going on there the members are the cause of all the bickering . I think there worst set of I want it my way folks I have seen around.
And perhaps the forum software needs to be upgraded to empower the Mods to just cutout or ban the bad stuff going on there

ronbo54
08-22-2006, 01:03 PM
Personally, I only crunch science related projects (probably because I don't understand the math ones).

Since there is nothing else out there I am excited about right now (that I think may actually do some good) I'll probably just shut everything down and fight global warming.

Good Luck to you all!! :cheers:

I'll pop in from time to time to say Hi

Bok
08-22-2006, 01:30 PM
Ron,

we would really love your help in SoB if you change your mind, it's a very simple install and you could make a huge difference for the team...

P4's and xeons rule on it.

Bok

DragonOrta
08-22-2006, 06:32 PM
Ronbo, What about World Community Grid?

PY 222
08-22-2006, 07:09 PM

I'm back. So what did I miss?

I am still catching up on the issues that is going on with R@H. Looks like people don't like the new stats changes eh?

So, are we going to boycott this project?

Angus
08-22-2006, 09:44 PM
It looked like XS were going to boycott - but they didn't stay away long enough to even cause a negative blip in the stats.

All noise, no action it appears.

LAURENU2
08-22-2006, 10:25 PM
It looked like XS were going to boycott - but they didn't stay away long enough to even cause a negative blip in the stats.

All noise, no action it appears.
Yes Down a few K for a couple day I guess they would have to send out a Email ( Like they did to get people to work Rosetta )to all there membership to make a real impact

Digital Parasite
08-23-2006, 12:15 PM
Looks like they have changed the stats again in a way that is more fair for everyone and added some more mods:
http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/forum_thread.php?id=1177#24241

On the credits front: we have decided to use the average amount of time for producing a structure over all rosetta@home runs for a particular work unit to determine the amount of credit to be awarded for each structure produced for that work unit. so, for example, let us suppose that all rosetta@home computers on average took 1 hour to make 1 structure for a given work unit, and that this corresponds on average to 10 credits using the standard boinc accounting scheme. Then each computer gets 10 credits for each structure returned--a fast computer might be able to do 3 structures in an hour, and get 30 credits per hour, wheras my old slow laptop may require 2 hours to make a single structure so I would only get 5 credits per hour. I think everybody will be happy with this approach in the end, even though nobody may be very happy with it initially (I must emphasize that, contrary to some statements on the boards, no individuals or groups had any more influence on our strategy than any other, so I hope this issue can be laid to rest). I am sorry that the switch to the new system has generated so much conflict, I really didn't anticipate this, and I'm sorry that my attempts to calm things down only made things worse (again, I will post from now on only in this thread and only in this forum). In any event, we are quite set on the new credits plan, which we think will be better for everybody, and please hold off on comments or suggestions for two weeks or so until we all have a clear picture of how things are working--we do not need or want new suggestions at this point. David Kim will be posting the definitive description of the new system tomorrow on the boards.

A positive outcome of the recent animated discussions is that we have recruited a number of new moderator volunteers who will be introduced soon and who will be ensuring that the boards stay friendly (please help the project out by avoiding posting things likely to offend other participants!). Also, as I'm pretty much tapped out on corresponding with participants by emai (which could easily turn into a full time occupation!), after tonight if you have issues please contact the moderators via the boards or email and they will pass unresolved issues on to me.

Angus
08-23-2006, 01:22 PM
MAybe I should have volunteered....:|party|:

Shish
08-23-2006, 03:38 PM
I think they offered when David Baker posted there.
Anyway, it seems things may be on a more even footing so I`m restarting cos I like the project and don`t bother much with the forums anyway.
I did actually email the project a while back to ask some questions after looking at the furore in the forums and got a very quick and nice reply from 2 people on the team at Rosetta including David Baker.Mebbe I was lucky or mebbe they took a bit of notice of my real name but I was a bit surprised at the very nice replies.

movieman
08-23-2006, 05:57 PM
Yes Down a few K for a couple day I guess they would have to send out a Email ( Like they did to get people to work Rosetta )to all there membership to make a real impact
I understand why you saw it that way. Let's say that XS is like a big bear in many ways, very powerfull and very fast, but slow to get up to full speed.
Watch the stats over the next couple days and I think you'll understand.
To the guys here that did shut down, my thanks. As they say on TV, It ain't over till the fat lady sings and she hasn't even warmed up yet.:)

LAURENU2
08-23-2006, 06:32 PM
Oh so your going to have Fat Lady bears singing :Pokes: That will really scare your membership away:rotfl: :jester: :rotfl:

movieman
08-23-2006, 07:52 PM
Oh so your going to have Fat Lady bears singing :Pokes: That will really scare your membership away:rotfl: :jester: :rotfl:
Oh be quiet or I'll send Riptide over here to haunt you!:lmao:
oh, check the stats....:)

riptide
08-23-2006, 09:02 PM
larenu... you causin trouble again! :Pokes: I might just call this place home for a few days.! :Pokes: :rotfl: PS Check the stats!

LAURENU2
08-23-2006, 11:09 PM
Well good I love a good :Pokes: every now and then

LAURENU2
08-23-2006, 11:14 PM
larenu... you causin trouble again! :Pokes: I might just call this place home for a few days.! :Pokes: :rotfl: PS Check the stats!
Yep trouble my middle name
Good to hear your going to be staying for a few days I got a room all setup for you :cage:

Electrolyte
08-24-2006, 06:48 AM
.....I don't see any problems in their forums? SETI@Home is the worst one, where are the moderators in there? :dunno:

Smurfy
08-25-2006, 05:46 AM
Well XS have asked those of us unwilling to stop crunching Rosetta to leave the team, as such i have and have joined the only alternative team id consider, FDC, hopefully this wont stop what i consider the most productive DC project to date.

Helix_Von_Smelix
08-25-2006, 05:57 AM
A very warm welcome to you :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

:rock:

Smurfy
08-25-2006, 06:09 AM
Why thank you Helix Von Smelix, i look foward to crunching for FDC.

Bok
08-25-2006, 09:26 AM
Smurfy,

welcome to Free-DC!

I don't like to see problems like that occur over at XS (seems a touch xtreme!!, sic), but you are more than welcome to park or stay over here :)

Bok

LAURENU2
08-25-2006, 10:50 AM
A very warm welcome to you :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

:rock:
I Will 2dn that WELCOME to Free-DC
My 2 cents :umm: I do not believe it is right for a team to force :whip: a member to run or Not to run what what that member wants to run At most they should only ask :Pokes: for members participation

PY 222
08-25-2006, 11:40 AM
Third the welcome and throw in a beer from the Fridge :cheers: :cheers:

We here at FREE-DC does everything freely. :thumbs:

Shish
08-25-2006, 02:08 PM
Welcome Smurfy.
I agree with Lauren. Shades of the [H] there and XS`s loss is our gain.
I would certainly look at a REQUEST to stop crunching a prog but telling a member to leave if he wants to continue crunching is definitely a bit XTREME and somewhat stupid as people should be not be forced to do or not do something as voluntary as a DC prog as a condition of being on a team or website.
I also agree strongly with the comment that Rosetta is certainly one of the most productive DC progs to date and whilst I withdrew my few machines as a protest at the antics on their forum, I returned to what I consider the most useful and worthwhile DC project to date after a few days and some consideration.
And that is , thankfully, why Free-DC is what it is. Free being the operative word of course.

Smurfy
08-25-2006, 02:18 PM
Thank you guys for welcoming me. Before any bad feeling is created between XS and FDC i should explain a few things.

I have no big problem with what XS have done, i disagreed with it, and im a little miffed they are pulling out of Rosetta, however i respect there right to free choice and opinion, as they did mine. I did not leave on bad terms with anyone and wish them well in the future.

By noway was i forced out, a simple request was made that anyone crunching rosetta to leave team XS, i could have stayed if i had the mind to.

Helix_Von_Smelix
08-25-2006, 02:25 PM
forgot these

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

Digital Parasite
08-25-2006, 02:40 PM
Welcome Smurfy. Maybe others forced out of XS will be interested in joining our bunch as well.

MerePeer
08-25-2006, 04:52 PM
Welcome Smurfy! :hiya:

LAURENU2
08-25-2006, 06:09 PM
thats what I love about Free-DC We Are free to do what we want where we what to as long as we do not hurt any one or brake any laws

It is just like my sig says:thumbs:

If You Want The Best You Must forget The Rest
>>>>>>>>>>And Join Free-DC<<<<<<<<<<<<<

jasong
08-25-2006, 06:20 PM
I think XS should smurf up, smurfing people like that is just unsmurfy, it makes me want to smurf.

Greetings to people old enough to get my joke. :|party|:

movieman
08-25-2006, 09:25 PM
I Will 2dn that WELCOME to Free-DC
My 2 cents :umm: I do not believe it is right for a team to force :whip: a member to run or Not to run what what that member wants to run At most they should only ask :Pokes: for members participation
Hi guys..Just so it's clear. No one tried to drive Smurfy out. Hell, I like and admire the guy. All that was asked was that anyone who felt they still had to run Rosetta after all the BS with them over the last weeks do it in thier own name. At no point did anyone tell anyone what he or she could do.
We just didn't want to see the points being seen as coming from XS.
What point is a boycott if the developers see the team still upping points daily.
Smurfy is a highly moral guy and I think took this personally as he disagreed with the decision to boycott. I told him privately and publically that I understood how he felt and would support that decision both privately and publically.
He's a great guy and I'd be proud to call him my friend.
I'm just sorry to see him go.

IronBits
08-26-2006, 12:16 AM
Well XS have asked those of us unwilling to stop crunching Rosetta to leave the team, as such i have and have joined the only alternative team id consider, FDC, hopefully this wont stop what i consider the most productive DC project to date. Free-DC was founded for several reasons, of which, one was to provide a place for someone to be free to crunch on any project they like or not, for us or not, when ever they want or not, without any politics or pressures.
If you feel comfortable here, then we are happy and honored you joined us. :)

The only importance here is to keep you interested enough to keep your boxen working on whatever project you feel is worthy of your hard earned money to keep the computers crunching on some project.
Doing that and joining our Free-DC is a win/win solution! :)

Welcome! :hifi:

LAURENU2
08-26-2006, 01:13 AM
Free-DC was founded for several reasons, of which, one was to provide a place for someone to be free to crunch on any project they like or not, for us or not, when ever they want or not, without any politics or pressures.
If you feel comfortable here, then we are happy and honored you joined us. :)

The only importance here is to keep you interested enough to keep your boxen working on whatever project you feel is worthy of your hard earned money to keep the computers crunching on some project.
Doing that and joining our Free-DC is a win/win solution! :)

Welcome! :hifi:
:rock: Varry Well put IB:rock:

riptide
08-26-2006, 06:28 PM
Hi guys..Just so it's clear. No one tried to drive Smurfy out. Hell, I like and admire the guy. All that was asked was that anyone who felt they still had to run Rosetta after all the BS with them over the last weeks do it in thier own name. At no point did anyone tell anyone what he or she could do.
We just didn't want to see the points being seen as coming from XS.
What point is a boycott if the developers see the team still upping points daily.
Smurfy is a highly moral guy and I think took this personally as he disagreed with the decision to boycott. I told him privately and publically that I understood how he felt and would support that decision both privately and publically.
He's a great guy and I'd be proud to call him my friend.
I'm just sorry to see him go.
2nd that! There was no forcing! I can tell you this smurfy, nobody NOBODY would force me to leave ANY team! So I don't see why you were forced. 20% of memebers are reporting results for Rosetta for XS today!

IronBits
08-26-2006, 06:38 PM
By noway was i forced out {snip}
Please keep other Forum/Team , politics/squabbles and non Free-DC business/issues out of this Forum.
Thank you.

Shish
08-26-2006, 11:12 PM
Whilst I understand what XS people are saying, my personal opinion is that if a person is asked to stop doing a DC project or leave the team/site then that is akin to being forced out even if it is leaving by mutual consent. As IB says, that`s why a lot of us are here and why this site/team is called Free-DC.
Just a friendly bunch of people forming a site where nobody gets pressured and everybody gets what help they need, including an opposing team or two.
I also appreciate Smurfy doesn`t want any bad feelings on either side and maybe just a quiet life to get on with the projects he wants to do.
And I guess he`s found the right place and I hope he stays.:)

Smurfy
08-27-2006, 05:12 AM
2nd that! There was no forcing! I can tell you this smurfy, nobody NOBODY would force me to leave ANY team! So I don't see why you were forced. 20% of memebers are reporting results for Rosetta for XS today!

Thats bl**dy intresting Riptide, but perhaps you could read my posts before making judgments. Iv got no problem with you or any XS member, myself and MM are freinds and will remain so, he will agree with me on that at least.

Helix_Von_Smelix
08-27-2006, 05:21 AM
Thats bloody intresting Riptide, but perhaps you could read my posts before making judgments. Iv got no problem with you or any XS member, myself and MM are freinds and will remain so, he will agree with me on that at least.

easy there smurfy. bl**dy is pushing at the edge around here

and as said before. The XS issues should stay in the XS forum.

Thankyou

Smurfy
08-27-2006, 05:23 AM
easy there smurfy. bl**dy is pushing at the edge around here

and as said before. The XS issues should stay in the XS forum.

Thankyou

lol, ok my bad

Helix_Von_Smelix
08-27-2006, 05:27 AM
you're welcome :thumbs:

and we do know that you are not too "chuffed" with the situation

LAURENU2
08-27-2006, 12:23 PM
Is it Party time yet :partypop: _ :music:_ :partyon:
When does Happy hour start:champagne :dance:

riptide
08-27-2006, 07:55 PM
Lauren... everyhour is a happy hour!:rock: And always think that! Smurfy! You never mentioned forced at all. However the idea was 'considered' here by our hosts ater your original posts. But one has to have a (senior) Free-DC forum member to point that out for his fellow forum members. IB obliged 7 posts up! That was my intention.

To conclude, I will not post in this thread furthermore.
:blush:

movieman
08-27-2006, 09:01 PM
Just some things I thought you guys would want to know:
After Smurfy left I did some deep thinking on this issue. Said to myself that if I can make a statement that says to a good guy like Smurfy you have to go then I am letting this crap get to me way to much.
I corrected and reversed my opinion and said that anyone that wishes to continue on Rosetta is more than welcome to do so.
I'm human and in a moment of anger with Baker I made a mistake as it applies to my teammates. Bottom line is that the guys on the team are more important to me than any app.
They are friends and that means so much more.
There are things that I could tell you about Smurfy as to what a good guy he is but that would only embarass him.
Lets just say that he is one of the most moral people that you will meet and also a very generous person.
You are very lucky to have him.

Shish
08-27-2006, 09:41 PM
`Guess we all can get a bit serious about this hobby sometimes.
Not to worry, lifes too short.
Open the fridge up keeper and I`ll buy our guests a beer.:cheers:

PY 222
08-28-2006, 02:10 PM
Open the fridge up keeper and I`ll buy our guests a beer.:cheers:

Per Shish's request... :fridge:

Let the good times flow. :banana: