PDA

View Full Version : new 1.7 Ghz celeron

FoBoT
07-09-2002, 12:22 PM
are the newest celeron's P4 clones or hyped up P3 clones, ie even faster than the ~1 Ghz socket 370's , without the "P4 can't do ECCP well" flaw?

i am trying to ask if the newest celeron's share the "core" of the P4's since they are the same pinout/socket or are they faster versions of the "old" celerons

or in other words, do i need to run the P4 optimized ECCP client on a Celeron 1.7Ghz or the P3/normal version ?

:confused:

Supp
07-09-2002, 01:15 PM
I remember I read somewhere that this Celery's infected with P4s core, but I'm not sure. ( :confused: :confused: )

...or in other words: buy an AMD! :D

FoBoT
07-09-2002, 01:46 PM
i do buy AMD at home, but at work, its all Intel :rolleyes:

ECL
07-09-2002, 01:58 PM
A new celeron is a P4 with less cache memory, so it's got the usual performance penalties associated with the P4 plus a new one.

It'll still be OK for people with non-compute-intensive stuff like web surfing and managing the checkbook, but performance junkies should avoid it like the plague. At that price point, AMD still provides a better value.

You'll definitely need the P4 optimized client for it, though be prepared for unexceptional performance. I'd expect to see it max out at around 350K iterations/s, though your milage will vary depending on OS, FSB, memory type, humidity, distance from the sun, etc.