PDA

View Full Version : F A O Brian the Fist

DATA
07-09-2002, 02:38 PM
any idea when the download bandwidth problem is going to be resolved

DATA
07-09-2002, 07:34 PM
how's this for speed - took just over 4 hrs to down load the new client - but client is up and running after 7 hrs downtime - autoupdate a total failure on all systems - cause DF download bandwidth

IronBits
07-09-2002, 08:46 PM
All the *nix boxes did fine. I had one w2k box that stopped, the other w2k box just kept going with the old one (prolly the bandwidth issue).
I know of one win98 boxen that stopped from one of my borged.
Not too bad!
Would be nice if we could somehow plan ahead for these problems... I had no idea we needed lotsObandwidth for instance.

Chinasaur
07-09-2002, 09:47 PM
Five boxes (1 WinXP, 4 SuSE 8.0 Linux) all updated fine..3 hour delay.

Kosh
07-10-2002, 12:36 AM
No updates anywhere:
2 linux boxes (Slackware 8.1)
1 Win XP (service mode)
1 W2k (service mode)

Next week I'm going to refuse to work late on Tuesday.

dnar
07-10-2002, 01:18 AM
All Linux boxes:- failed updates - "corrupt data". Manual update was the solution.

DATA:- Come home mate!

Howard:- Happy Birthday! :|party|:

/wish mode on.

BTW, I find it unfortunate that the autoupdate results in each of my machines performing the same long download (I am on 56k dialup)... It would be great if I had my server Autoupdate, and my other client grab a copy from MY server....

/wish mode off.

Brian the Fist
07-10-2002, 08:53 AM
The bandwidth 'problem' wouldnt be a problem if everyone didn't sit at their computers at 1pm waiting for the server to come back online so they could update immediately. But that aside, now that Intel is no longer hosting the updates, we need more bandwidth than our institute currently offers. We will increase our own bandwidth and/or have download mirrors - again, anyone who has a company/institution with large bandwidth to the internet and willing to be a mirror, please e-mail trades@mshri.on.ca. Mirrors must be running a web server but this is the only restriction.

Note individuals running DSL/cable modems cannot be mirrors as they do not have sufficient bandwidth to support 100 simultaneous downloads and are not up 24/7.

dnar
07-10-2002, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Brian the Fist
The bandwidth 'problem' wouldnt be a problem if everyone didn't sit at their computers at 1pm waiting for the server to come back online so they could update immediately. But that aside, now that Intel is no longer hosting the updates, we need more bandwidth than our institute currently offers. We will increase our own bandwidth and/or have download mirrors - again, anyone who has a company/institution with large bandwidth to the internet and willing to be a mirror, please e-mail trades@mshri.on.ca. Mirrors must be running a web server but this is the only restriction.

Note individuals running DSL/cable modems cannot be mirrors as they do not have sufficient bandwidth to support 100 simultaneous downloads and are not up 24/7.
Maybe Jodie could help out with servers/bandwidth? She has plenty to spare I beleive...

Jodie
07-12-2002, 12:59 AM
Servers I can help out with through donation - that's the easy one. RAID storage, UPS, that kinda thing. I still have the Dual Xeon P4 boxes I offered Stanford... They've never been powered-up, even.

Bandwidth I can probably pry away betwixt 3 and 10Mbit/sec. I could burst 45Mbit/sec for a few hours fairly easily.

I'm running my own neighborhood ISP over 802.11a/b and I have a dedicated DS-3 into the house - but it's point-to-point with the fiber backbone at the office. My DS3 is backed-up with two full T-1's, one to the office and one to the 'Net. All of them are Tier 1 or 2.

DeepToast is on its own T-1 as well. So that one has a full megabit easy that it can help out with. Another 3Mbit as long as my DS3 stays alive. Bursting to 45Mbit for a few hours (don' t want to freeze-out my "customers"...)

As far as web-servers at home and deep toast goes - I have a couple of Dual-Alpha boxxen running Linux not doing much. SGI Challenge 'S' 16xR5500 (irix) that was designed for web serving, and a *raft* of Sparc'n...

I could have 3Mbit partitioned off and a server or two sitting on it in 10mins - they're all installed with Apache or Netscape httpd, and I have a layer-3 switch that I can log into from anywhere and set the bandwidth cap on - let me know if that's any help...

MAD-ness
07-12-2002, 07:07 PM
IF not for the mixed company, I would be swearing. ;)

Wow.

beefdart
07-25-2002, 02:41 PM
if there is someone who would like to donate hardware, we here at computer science house at rit, would be happy to give it a fas connection...

Current bandwidth:
2 OC3s at 155mps each
couple T-3s (aggregated backup)

feel free to mail me with any comments/suggestions
ryanl@csh.rit.edu

Jodie
07-25-2002, 03:22 PM
That's a ton more bandwidth than I can squeeze out - a bit mroe than our office bandwidth, even...

Assuming that Howard is ok with it - I'd be happy to send you a good rack-mountable server for the _express_ purpose of being an official DF mirror.

Something that you're interested in? Is it ok with you, Howard?

Brian the Fist
07-25-2002, 11:29 PM
hi Jodie,

You and beefdart are the two official mirrors for now. From what I could tell, little Athlon (is that right?) handled the load just fine. I don't think you need very powerful hardware to have a mirror, just a big pipe. I think maybe I should give beefdart a double-weighting in fact so he gets twice as many downloads as Jodie and we do, what do you think Ryan? I know our petty bandwidth was still pretty saturated for about 2 hours after the changeover.

beefdart
07-26-2002, 05:23 PM
bar.csh.rit.edu is a little 400 mhz athlon, as far as I can tell it handled the load fine, hopefully for the next update I can pay a bit more attention. Really the only limitation I have is the speed of the hard drive + cpu on that box. If anyone wishes to keep a server on computer science house for distributed folding reasons, we would be happy to give it a home (and a helluv a lot of bandwidth).

AIM: ThunderWS
Email: ryan@hatespeople.com